What shocks

kyle521

So Ive had a rock krawler stock mod 2.5 inch lift with bilsteins 5100 for almost 3 years now. The rear shocks are pretty beat and are leaking bad. Anyone have recommendations for replacements? I would love to upgrade to some bolt on coil overs but they're not in the budget right now, need to upgrade the axles first.

My second question, do you think bilstein would warranty them or is this a wear and tear thing that I should expect? I have driven around 25,000 miles on the shocks

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
So Ive had a rock krawler stock mod 2.5 inch lift with bilsteins 5100 for almost 3 years now. The rear shocks are pretty beat and are leaking bad. Anyone have recommendations for replacements? I would love to upgrade to some bolt on coil overs but they're not in the budget right now, need to upgrade the axles first.

My second question, do you think bilstein would warranty them or is this a wear and tear thing that I should expect? I have driven around 25,000 miles on the shocks

Never hurts to call and see if they will warranty them. If they don't try checking out some rancho 7000 or 9000's.

Sessoms14X

I've been meaning to call and see what they will say as far as warranty issues. I've had em on my jeep for 1 year and 7 months and 30,000 miles and I'm starting to see a leak on one of the shocks.

I'm running a set of 5100's too. May I ask what kind of driving they've been exposed that they leaking at 25k?
Mine are going strong still and I'm happy as can be. Just curious to see what I'm in for, for the future.

Friends of mine have run the Fox external reservoirs with CD adjusters. They love them but they're also in entirely different price range to 5100's..
I think the normal Fox 2.0 non reservoirs are very comparable to 5100's. Haven't driven them myself so can't speak from experience. Just going on what friends have reported.

I'd say Bilstein is great so why not stick with them. My :twocents:

Never hurts to call and see if they will warranty them. If they don't try checking out some rancho 7000 or 9000's.

I second this ^^^^. Im running rancho 9k's and really like them. The adjustabilty ought to suit your preference. Theyre priced well too, so you dont break the bank while trying to save for coilovers...

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
So far on my current rig I have run the Fox 2.0s and Rancho RS5000Xs with the same JKS springs, which ride very close to stock. The Fox shocks are a little on the stiff side. They handle big bumps really well, I felt a lot of the little bumps. I also blew a rear shock in about 6 months, so I was not impressed with that at all.
Currently I am running the Rancho RS5000x shocks. They are softer than the Fox shocks, and do a good job of smoothing out the smaller bumps and road inconsistencies I encounter on a day to day basis, and washboard stuff. They do not soak up big fast bumps as well as the Fox's did, but still do a good job of taking that sharp 'edge' off of big bumps.
For day to day driving, I can honestly say I prefer the Ranchos, and they are half the price of he Fox shocks. My next set of shocks will be the adjustable Rancho 9000s. I want the ability to adjust the softness of the shock for exactly the ride I want. I am also going to be swapping over to the Enforcer because the plush ride springs have a reputation of being one of the softest, smoothest riding around. I am personally looking for the softest ride possible while still being functional. Hopefully this will give you some insight and help when choosing your next shock.

Ddays

Hooked
I just put a set of Fox 2.0's with the adjustable reservoirs on mine. Haven't been off road yet but drove 600 miles on the highway last Friday and was really surprised I wasn't more tired than what I was.
Don't forget - Black Friday is coming up - keep an eye out for some good deals. I think Trail Jeeps is having some specials but I don't know what they will be... never hurts to call. (wish they would have an online catalog or something :brows:)

Top Bottom