JK 3.8 Induction

wheelie

Hi All,

I am looking for a good induction system for my 2011 3.8 JK. I see all the aftermarket systems use these cone filters like K&N. From personal experience, I don't believe that these filters really filter as they should, but the stock filter is also not really good for performance. What are the best induction systems to consider and are they working properly in dusty conditions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we run an AIRAID cold air intake but, also run it with a pre-filter. So far, it seems to help out a lot.

wheelie

I saw your installation instructions on the Airaid and it looks like a better option, because it is quite big and also with the pre-filter. Does it not suck water when you drive around in rain? You didn't maybe have a look at the intake piping for dust after driving around with it for a few miles in the dirt?

I learned something yesterday from our dealers.. The SRT Grand Cherokee apparently comes with a cone filter from the factory? I saw one yesterday and I saw the filter on it, had a look inside the intake piping and I couldn't believe how dirty it was inside. Stuck my finger in there and when it came out it looked like I stuck my finger in an exhaust from a car with 8 gazilion miles on it and using lots of oil - pitch black oil and dust mixture.

I suppose it cannot be good for an engine in the long run?

I am looking to maybe fit an intake box from another vehicle that may be a bit bigger and with a better cfm but with a proper filter. Issue will just be to custom fit it and to have a proper intake where it won't suck water.

I had a look at the Donaldson filters, but the ones I can get locally have a cfm value too small for the 3.8. The local Nissan Navara Rally team uses Donaldson filters on their race trucks (4Litre V6), so the sales guy from Donaldson is trying to find out if that might not be an option.

Love your site, your Jeeps and your Youtube vids!!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've never had any problems with water. Without the pre-filter, you definitely see some dust inside the tube after driving in heavy dust conditions but with it, a lot lot lesss. It's not perfect but then, I don't know if anything is. Old style factory paper filters are probably the better way to go if that is a concern.

Trail_Creeper

You can always running something like a Wix filter instead of the K&N, or the like. The Wix ones are a pretty good paper filter that flows well. Myself and a lot of guys run them as a "BHAF" mod on the diesel trucks, instead of the K&N, or AEM cones.

StrizzyChris

You can always running something like a Wix filter instead of the K&N, or the like. The Wix ones are a pretty good paper filter that flows well. Myself and a lot of guys run them as a "BHAF" mod on the diesel trucks, instead of the K&N, or AEM cones.

Never seen that abbreviation before. Usually good at logical deciphering, but couldnt figure out bhaf? Bitchin hardcore air filter? lol

wheelie

Thanks for the replies guys, I will check on the Wix filter as I have never heard of this thing before. We don't get all the nice things here in Africa, will most probably have to import again..

Top Bottom