Pro Rock 60s cold weather gear oil

mackey

I believe Dynatrac recommends 85/90 gear oil for cold weather. The current weather in the Idaho panhandle is high of 30s and low in teens. Do I definitely need to change out my gear oil (85/140)? I tried looking up 85/90 limited slip gear oil and can't find any. Royal purple makes a 80/90. Anyone use cold weather gear oil? If so, what brand and weight. Thanks.

Pyro1415

All mobil1 has the addictive. 85-90 is the not for towing oil if your not towing much it's fine to run it.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I believe Dynatrac recommends 85/90 gear oil for cold weather. The current weather in the Idaho panhandle is high of 30s and low in teens. Do I definitely need to change out my gear oil (85/140)? I tried looking up 85/90 limited slip gear oil and can't find any. Royal purple makes a 80/90. Anyone use cold weather gear oil? If so, what brand and weight. Thanks.

I ran the heavy weight oil 85/140 for 2 winters. I don't believe it will hurt anything but you can literally feel the resistance in your drivetrain until it warms up. It doesn't take long to warm up.

Why are you looking for limited slip oil? You have a lsd in your PRs? If you have arbs they actually recommend not running synthetic but to just run normal dino without the additive.

mackey

I ran the heavy weight oil 85/140 for 2 winters. I don't believe it will hurt anything but you can literally feel the resistance in your drivetrain until it warms up. It doesn't take long to warm up.

Why are you looking for limited slip oil? You have a lsd in your PRs? If you have arbs they actually recommend not running synthetic but to just run normal dino without the additive.

Thanks for the info. When I picked up my jeep from Off Road Evolution, the shop recommended I use the Valvoline 85/140 limited slip. they also recommend royal purple but it is too expensive. I was just using what they told me. I do have ARBs.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I threw royal purple in mine at first then arb said to run without the lsd additive if possible. Something about longer seal life without it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I personally no longer use synthetic gear oil in my axles as I was having issues with the ARB o-rings going bad. Ever since I switched to Dino, I haven't had any more problems. Everything else that Dynatrac said is great info.

Top Bottom