Questions about Leaky Transmission

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
So I had my Jeep up on Jacks a week or so ago and while I was under it I noticed a wet spot. After closer inspection it seems to be leaking transmission fluid at a fairly slow rate where the tranny connects to the transfer case. My question is; could taking a hit to the cross-member that helps support the transmission cause a leak of this nature? Could it just be loose bolts? :thinking:

When we went to CO this Sept. I took a hit on the resonator (muffler looking thing) that sits right under the back door. It yanked/bent the exhaust at the engine mount and I had to replace the exhaust loop and cat converter ($800). I am now going to assume that this also caused the damage to the cross member. Unfortunately there was no turning around on the trail or bypass as we were on the Upper Reno portion of Reno Creek. :crazyeyes:

I just wanted some educated opinions before going to the dealer. Thanks in advance!

See pics :doh:

Attachments

• IMG_2291 copy.jpg
    IMG_2291 copy.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 36

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trust me, we've hit our cross member really really hard and more more times than I can count and can tell you, it's never caused a tranny leak. This is true of all our friends as well. If you're sure it's coming from between where the two mate, I would use some brake cleaner to throughly clean the area and then try tightening the bolts. Check the area soon after doing this to see if it is in fact leaking from there or, to identify where it is coming from.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Oh man that's good to hear! I would have hope Jeep engineered their setup better than that for sure! After spending the money on the exhaust I sure didn't want to spend any more on another fix!! That's money toward a lift and tires going up in flames! I'll do the brake cleaner to verify where the leak is for sure. Yesterday I went out and wiped it and there was fresh pink fluid on my white paper towel and 2 small drips directly under it on the concrete where the jeep was parked.

Where would I look to find the torque specs for those bolts? The last thing I want to do is snap a bolt off. I am usually very careful but shit happens and I would like to avoid it in this instance.

Cheers! :beer:

Top Bottom