Oscillating Vibration at Speed

CarolinaJK

I just took a trip to West Virginia. It's about 500 miles give or take. I will be going home Friday. Around 70-80 I will get an oscillating vibration after a few minutes. I have 35" Mud Graps that were balanced by Dynabeads. I'm running an Evo leveling kit and my toe-in is set at 1/16. My drive shaft boot looks fine also. I'm wondering what this could be. It's pretty noticeable, but not terrible.

WJCO

Meme King
I just took a trip to West Virginia. It's about 500 miles give or take. I will be going home Friday. Around 70-80 I will get an oscillating vibration after a few minutes. I have 35" Mud Graps that were balanced by Dynabeads. I'm running an Evo leveling kit and my toe-in is set at 1/16. My drive shaft boot looks fine also. I'm wondering what this could be. It's pretty noticeable, but not terrible.

Did you commonly drive these speeds before the new tires? I ask just trying to find out if the symptom occurred after the new tires? And is the vibration something you hear or feel? Or both?

CarolinaJK

Did you commonly drive these speeds before the new tires? I ask just trying to find out if the symptom occurred after the new tires? And is the vibration something you hear or feel? Or both?

Before the new tires I rarely ran these speeds, but I did drive it to Florida once without a problem. However this was when the Jeep was completely stock. And no noise at all, just a vibration that comes and goes. Like 20-30 second intervals.

WJCO

Meme King
Before the new tires I rarely ran these speeds, but I did drive it to Florida once without a problem. However this was when the Jeep was completely stock. And no noise at all, just a vibration that comes and goes. Like 20-30 second intervals.

Next time you are at those speeds, accelerate and decelerate and see if it changes. I have a hunch that it's related to the drive line. If it does, then that's probably what it is. You could also remove the front drive shaft and road test it under those same conditions to see if anything changes.

The tricky thing about doing a bunch of mods at once is that if you do have an issue, it's hard to tell what caused it. Also, have you replaced your front drive shaft? What size lift are you running?

WJCO

Meme King
Stock drive shafts front and rear. I have the Evo 2" leveling kit.

2 inch isn't a ton of lift, but still could cause a vibration from the angle change. Basically as the joint components wear together over time, the parts 'get used' to that wear pattern because they wear together. Changing the angle can create new fresh wear surfaces in the joint causing vibrations. Hard to say for sure if that's what you have going on though. If you have the time, pull the front drive shaft and drive the Jeep up to 70-75mph just to see. It's more common on Jeeps for the front shaft to cause the vibration opposed to the rear.

CarolinaJK

2 inch isn't a ton of lift, but still could cause a vibration from the angle change. Basically as the joint components wear together over time, the parts 'get used' to that wear pattern because they wear together. Changing the angle can create new fresh wear surfaces in the joint causing vibrations. Hard to say for sure if that's what you have going on though. If you have the time, pull the front drive shaft and drive the Jeep up to 70-75mph just to see. It's more common on Jeeps for the front shaft to cause the vibration opposed to the rear.

When I get home I'll definitely do this and see if it is the cause. Thanks for your help! I figured it was something driveline related, at least I'm hoping.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As JAGS had mentioned, an oscillating vibration is almost always a drive shaft out of balance issue. Typically, the front one too and this is especially true if you're running 5.13 gears or higher.

CarolinaJK

As JAGS had mentioned, an oscillating vibration is almost always a drive shaft out of balance issue. Typically, the front one too and this is especially true if you're running 5.13 gears or higher.

I'm still running my stock 3.73's, but I have a feeling that it still my driveshaft.

JeepFan

Hooked
I was thinking drive shaft as well. I have the same issue ever since I installed front and rear 1310 drive shafts with 513 gears. Happens while driving around 65-70 MPH. I've been chasing this problem for 80,000+ miles. Re-balanced drive shafts, new drive shafts, repeat. Still does it. :crazyeyes: I have given up trying to fix it and just drive at speeds below 65 or above 75. :cheesy: :yup:

CarolinaJK

As mentioned, if you knocked off a weight while wheeling or maybe bent your shaft, that would cause it too.

I'm about to hop under there and take a peak. Can't really pull the shafts until I get back home.

I was thinking drive shaft as well. I have the same issue ever since I installed front and rear 1310 drive shafts with 513 gears. Happens while driving around 65-70 MPH. I've been chasing this problem for 80,000+ miles. Re-balanced drive shafts, new drive shafts, repeat. Still does it. :crazyeyes: I have given up trying to fix it and just drive at speeds below 65 or above 75. :cheesy: :yup:

This is what I was trying to do, but going 65mph would've made this trip entirely too long [emoji23]

jeeeep

Hooked

do you have a stock axle?
what's your caster set at?

JeepFan

Hooked
do you have a stock axle?
what's your caster set at?

Front and rear axles are stock. Caster is not the issue as it does it with the front DS removed. Believe me, I've been through this multiple times and have come to the conclusion that I'm over sensitive to noises, vibrations, rattles and just about anything that makes an abnormal noise. It's my curse and a Wayalife. Lol.

I was only mentioning it so that others might not have a high expectation of affecting a perminent fix. Cheers!

jeeeep

Hooked
Front and rear axles are stock. Caster is not the issue as it does it with the front DS removed. Believe me, I've been through this multiple times and have come to the conclusion that I'm over sensitive to noises, vibrations, rattles and just about anything that makes an abnormal noise. It's my curse and a Wayalife. Lol.

I was only mentioning it so that others might not have a high expectation of affecting a perminent fix. Cheers!

you also checked the pinion angle of the rear ?
i have a coast ds 1350 rear and once i got the angle set I'm able to go 80+ no vibration

Wizard

Believe me, I've been through this multiple times and have come to the conclusion that I'm over sensitive to noises, vibrations, rattles and just about anything that makes an abnormal noise. It's my curse and a Wayalife. Lol.

Hahahaha I have the same affliction.

JeepFan

Hooked
you also checked the pinion angle of the rear ?
i have a coast ds 1350 rear and once i got the angle set I'm able to go 80+ no vibration

Yes, the rear pinion angle is at zero. I've tried 4 different drive shafts. I think a 1350 with a flange type yoke on the T case side would make a huge difference.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yes, the rear pinion angle is at zero. I've tried 4 different drive shafts. I think a 1350 with a flange type yoke on the T case side would make a huge difference.

I'll need to double check, but the driveline shop set mine about 1-2 degrees below the transfer case output angle to allow for the axle's up rotation when under load. they also told me it helps ujoints since this lets the needle bearings rotate easier.
haven't had any issues in the last 2 years

Top Bottom