Trek Top issues

Speeddmn

I have had my trektop for quite a while now and recently I've noticed a couple issues. Issue one is more of a nuisance I think, that is the rear bar just being in the way when you need access to the rear cargo area. Issue two is why this post is here. I will see if I can get pictures maybe a video, but that will need my wife to help out! haha

Anyways, when we are going down the highway, the two side panels bow out and flap, then you get that fun annoying noise. I've tried adjusting then forward, rearward, etc with out resolving it. They are tight on the up/down areas, but the plastic wrap around forward edge where the door seals up seems loose. Again I'll try to get pictures of it when we drive, but they bow out an inch or more and allow the cold mountain air in. Anyone else have this, if so maybe it's normal? After all it is a Jeep and I understand it, but in the beginning of owning the top it wasn't it issue. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448473908.773924.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448473919.075550.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448473932.666863.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448473943.872374.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448473960.363824.jpg

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is this on the old Trektop or the newer NX? A photo would be helpful as I don't know if I've ever had any problem like this with the ones I have.

Speeddmn

Is this on the old Trektop or the newer NX? A photo would be helpful as I don't know if I've ever had any problem like this with the ones I have.

It is the NX, I got it 10 months ago or so and have only removed the side panels a hand full of times. I'll get pictures up today and load them, but the bowing is really present during speeds in excess of 45 mph.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It is the NX, I got it 10 months ago or so and have only removed the side panels a hand full of times. I'll get pictures up today and load them, but the bowing is really present during speeds in excess of 45 mph.

Really? Okay, I just don't see how the side panels could bow at all being that they're such a tight fit when installed. If anything, I have a hell of a time trying to get them on when it's cold out due to the pieces that sit over the roll bar. Thanks to them, my side panels are about as tight as a drum.

Mine are really tight but bow the slightest bit depending on whether or not the windows are up or down.

Good point about the windows being up or down. To the OP, does this happen only with the windows down or up as well?

Mine is right in line with this. They may bow just a touch with the windows down but they are tight as hell. With the zippers on top zipped, and the bottom locked in the groove, i dont see how they could possibly flap...

Edit: pics or video would help

Speeddmn

Good point about the windows being up or down. To the OP, does this happen only with the windows down or up as well?

Windows up they bow about an inch ish, windows down it is way worse. I'm at work now but I'll try to get pics at lunch, driving and video'ing will be tough! haha

Hobolobo

May be a dumb question, but I've seen it a lot lately. Are you sure you're wrapping the plastic edges completely around the door surround? Ive seen a lot of people just tuck it in there and it flap out like you mentioned.

Speeddmn

May be a dumb question, but I've seen it a lot lately. Are you sure you're wrapping the plastic edges completely around the door surround? Ive seen a lot of people just tuck it in there and it flap out like you mentioned.

Not dumb at all, the install pictures from BestTop are horrid at best. Not to many pictures online of the surrounds either. I'll get a couple pics at lunch time and post them, it'll be from the phone so might be one at a time. I believe I have everything installed correctly, but will include pictures of all the areas I think could be addressed.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I do not seem to have that problem you mention as well. It is a really tight fit. I do not think I will take windows off in the colder months due to that.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

This is my immediate thought as well.

C_short15

I feel like my top is on wrong on the front. I think their is more wind noise then ever before. What could I be doing wrong

Top Bottom