Trail temps

Angry Aussie

I've always been curious and don't know. What temps are too high and should let things cool off before going on?

Transmission temps

Coolant

Engine oil

Or anything else a tuner can pick up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

WJCO

Meme King
I've always been curious and don't know. What temps are too high and should let things cool off before going on?

Transmission temps

Coolant

Engine oil

Or anything else a tuner can pick up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Typically between 185-200ish for all three. Obviously each make and model will be a little different, but I've always used that as a general rule of thumb. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Angry Aussie

Typically between 185-200ish for all three. Obviously each make and model will be a little different, but I've always used that as a general rule of thumb. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

My coolant normally runs at 220 when driving around. Can't remember what my transmission runs at normally I'll check that today and see.

Angry Aussie

JK's like to run hot and I wouldn't worry about your coolant at 220.

Cool thanks Eddie! Hope you had a good thanksgiving. Haven't thanked you lately for some of the videos you have put out recently and as always they are amazing and are the warren Miller movies of the off road world and a bit better in my opinion.

jorgelrod

Hooked
My jeep usually runs between 215-228 on coolant and 165-170 on tranny, then again I live in Puerto Rico and our avg temperature is 85F all year round

Angry Aussie

So what temps are to high to continue wheeling? When should I shut it down and let things cool off if it ever gets to the point.

jorgelrod

Hooked
So what temps are to high to continue wheeling? When should I shut it down and let things cool off if it ever gets to the point.

If you ever get the HOTOIL message, or the hot engine temp light on, then you should stop, it won't overheat that easily unless you cover your radiator in mud

BumpStick

Personally I slow down or stop when wheeling and my Coolant temp hits 236*F. As for the trans temp most companies who warranty re-manufactured transmissions will void the warranty if at any point the trans temp has hit 260-265*F. I have had trans temp gauges on my autos for years now and have learned to not be concerned about it went its 215*F or below. 217*F and I am pushing a little too hard for too long and need to back off.

Edit: The only time my JK has hit 236*F was when I lost the serpentine belt, was driving in 4Low at over 3000rpm for more than 5 minutes straight in almost 100* weather, and when I had a front brake caliper seize while driving causing the Jeep to hold a lower gear and increased load on the the engine.

That last incident I was glad that I had my Trail Dash set to alert me when my coolant temp exceeded 235, it let me know something was wrong and it wasn't my imagination.

Last edited:
Top Bottom