Need help wiring tailgate vent cover

rollover

I want to use the wiring for the third brake light with an LED light for the Poison Spyder tailgate vent cover. However, I have no idea how to do that or what I need to get. Here's an example of what I'm trying to do. Ideally I would love for the logo itself to light up but I'm not willing to cut into the tailgate itself so I'm going to put a different color under the logo since my JK is black (not sure how to do that either). Can anyone help me please?

Here is their description: "The LED light enclosed in an 18 gauge metal tray that is spot welded to the back of the tailgate cover. The light itself is a sealed LED light module which makes it weather proof. The LED light was designed to be wired into your third brake light so every time you hit the brakes the skull lights up!"

example.jpg

(And yes, I have read the Rigid Life write-up but cutting plexiglass is not my strong point :rolleyes2:)

Last edited:

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
There's a ton of different LED light strip options out there, including weatherproof options, and it will kind of depend on the size of the design you're talking about. The description they gave is pretty good. You'll need to build a shallow tray out of sheet metal or plastic, mount the LED strip of your choice inside of it, then mount this to the backside of your cover. Either weld or epoxy it depending on what material you used for the tray. As for wiring, you could cut the OEM plug off your 3rd light and splice it to the LED strip, or do away with the plug and hard wire it. Polarity will need to be correct for the light to work so make sure you hook it up right. Just search for 12v LED strips or something to find one that works for you. Hope that's any help at all. Be sure to post up pics of the finished product.

Top Bottom