Power Steering failing?

jorgelrod

Hooked
My jeep's steering wheel feels like I have no PS after the first half turn when I'm not in motion, I can hear system trying to work and the slight drop in rpms associated with normal operation but the wheel is hard to turn post that first half turn, I have to take the jeep in for a faulty speed sensors, and thinking of having the dealer check it. Any troubleshooting tips??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Have you gone wheeling recently? If so, have you checked to see if maybe you bent your tie-rod enough to cause your steering stabilizer to get hung up. Also, if your steering stabilizer can is dented or shaft is bent, you will feel this sensation as well. If all that checks out, could be you're just low on fluid and taking in air into the system.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I haven't been Wheeling but it was removed to get regeared, so I'll check in on that. I did check the fluid and it isn't low

WJCO

Meme King
Check for any obvious belt tension issues, although that would be more of an 'all of the time' symptom. Also check for any ps hoses being pinched or rubbing on anything. I'm with Eddie about your stabilizer or something mechanical causing an issue though, symptom seems more like that.

CJW

I was having similar issues for a while. I also noticed that my power steering fluid reservoir was leaking just a tiny bit from the cap. Just enough to have a layer of oil/dirt build up around it. I replaced the O ring in the cap to fix the leak. Then my lagging/hard steering issues went away as well.
Check for leaks. Even a tiny one like what I had will cause problems.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I was having similar issues for a while. I also noticed that my power steering fluid reservoir was leaking just a tiny bit from the cap. Just enough to have a layer of oil/dirt build up around it. I replaced the O ring in the cap to fix the leak. Then my lagging/hard steering issues went away as well.
Check for leaks. Even a tiny one like what I had will cause problems.

I'll take a look at that tomorrow...

Top Bottom