Snow Chains: Newbie Question

BillTheCat

I'll be traveling southwest Utah and eastern Nevada over the next month. If I stay to the highways and byways, is there a reason to carry snow chains? Is 4WD good enough on snow and snowpack? Thanks.

jeeeep

Hooked
what tires are you running?

only time I found I really needed cables/chains was off road on deep snow or ice. In that last many years I've used cables twice on main roads and that was in Texas when we had 2" of ice on the road.

Since you're staying on main roads you should be fine.

you have 4wd and snowpack should be fine, unless it's deep enough to hit bumper level.

BillTheCat

what tires are you running?

only time I found I really needed cables/chains was off road on deep snow or ice. In that last many years I've used cables twice on main roads and that was in Texas when we had 2" of ice on the road.

Since you're staying on main roads you should be fine.

you have 4wd and snowpack should be fine, unless it's deep enough to hit bumper level.

Wrangler Duratrac LT315/70R17

WJCO

Meme King
Check local laws based on your expected weather conditions. Here in CO, they have different 'safety' levels when they require or don't require. If it's really bad, they may require them even on 4wd.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
I had a set of snow chains for mine but returned them because I didn't need them 4 wheel drive and a good set of all terrain tires will do just fine. But if your going to be a lot a lot of ice then I would just say be careful aha. Iv rear-ended a car before on black ice and still had good snow tires.

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
You will be fine without. Duratrac tires are probably the best rated 4x4 tire for snow and ice. I have ran many tires in the snow and I'm a true believer in duratracs. Have them on my WJ

Top Bottom