2016 JKURHR soft top questions

Jknewbi

I purchased the dual top option and since the weather has been mild so far this year I decided to install the soft top. My questions are:

1) is it supposed to be this difficult for a 240pound 6'2" guy who is not a weakling to get this top to stretch into place ? Even without latching the front totally into place which in itself was a struggle to get to that point I had to hang my full weight from the rear fly panels to get them to engage into the slots.

2) the rear quarter windows where it meets the back door, I watched videos online on how this is done and as best that I can see your supposed to put the 90deg angle into the slot and the fabric is supposed to wrap around this to secure the panel in at the front before zipping it closed all the way.. Again it seems too much of a stretch for me to get this to work without damaging either the zipper or the fabric at the door area. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Skid_Kid

I purchased the dual top option and since the weather has been mild so far this year I decided to install the soft top. My questions are:

1) is it supposed to be this difficult for a 240pound 6'2" guy who is not a weakling to get this top to stretch into place ? Even without latching the front totally into place which in itself was a struggle to get to that point I had to hang my full weight from the rear fly panels to get them to engage into the slots.

2) the rear quarter windows where it meets the back door, I watched videos online on how this is done and as best that I can see your supposed to put the 90deg angle into the slot and the fabric is supposed to wrap around this to secure the panel in at the front before zipping it closed all the way.. Again it seems too much of a stretch for me to get this to work without damaging either the zipper or the fabric at the door area. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Got some pics so we can help you better? The first install will be a rough one. You should be starting from the rear and working forward. Then installing the rear windows.

Jknewbi

This is the rear fly panel that was brutal getting into place but I was able to get it ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448810337.492335.jpg

This is the part of the rear quarter Windows that i cannot get to seat correctly ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448810422.097382.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448810436.906639.jpg

Unless they go like this but that doesn't seem correct either... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448810477.174687.jpg

Jknewbi

First install was in my garage at about 60deg or so but I didn't get my rear quarter Windows on correctly so I'm trying again, it is fairly cold outside right now...

Jknewbi

Yah, yours is definitely tucked in how I'm seeing online. When I do that though it's too tight and will either damage the zipper or this channel spot on the window

LasVegasJK

First install was in my garage at about 60deg or so but I didn't get my rear quarter Windows on correctly so I'm trying again, it is fairly cold outside right now...

The Windows definitely don't like the cold. Maybe bring them in the house for an hour so they become more pliable.
My rear window is still a drag taking in and out. I just leave it out 90% of the time. But, I live in southern Nevada, so it's not an issue as it only rains three times a year here.

LasVegasJK

Yah, yours is definitely tucked in how I'm seeing online. When I do that though it's too tight and will either damage the zipper or this channel spot on the window

The zippers are pretty stout. It's not going to be like zipping up a jacket.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Also try it in the order. Just barely start zipper, maybe 6-8". Put in the door channels first (the area you cannot get in). Then zip the windows. Then put in the bottom j rail.

Last edited:

Jknewbi

Also try it in the order. Just barely start zipper, maybe 6-8". Put in the door channels first (the area you cannot get in). Then zip the windows. Then put in the bottom j rail.

That's basically what I was trying, I'm hoping that getting the windows warm gets me the rest of the way. Just really surprised how easy the guys in the videos are able to get this done compared to what I'm encountering. Would the premium soft top make it harder?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The premium top makes it much harder. Mine was a total bitch the first time. After 2 years now it is much better but still tight. Tight is good though. The regular top is much easier.

I usually hook the latches on the windshield but dont close them until last step. Give you a little more slack.

Jknewbi

The premium top makes it much harder. Mine was a total bitch the first time. After 2 years now it is much better but still tight. Tight is good though. The regular top is much easier.

"Tight is good". Yah that's what I keep telling myself between swearing hahah!

I usually hook the latches on the windshield but dont close them until last step. Give you a little more slack.

Thanks, I figured this out after my first attempt to get the fly panels in place. A few of the videos said this as well. Of course as a guy I watched the instructional videos after much swearing [emoji12]

Jknewbi

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448815802.810541.jpg

Got them in the channel but if I open the doors the top section comes out of the channel so I'm going to leave the back doors closed as long as I can to try to let it stretch out.

Thanks for all your help! [emoji106]

scull20

As far as getting the top to latch, my premium top latched MUCH easier when I had someone else open the back door (not rear door and window) and then reach up to the bow above the back seat and pull straight down.

This pivots the bow slightly and pushes the top forward slightly as well. It should help in getting the latches to hook.

In the end time will be the best for letting everything stretch a bit.

Jknewbi

As far as getting the top to latch, my premium top latched MUCH easier when I had someone else open the back door (not rear door and window) and then reach up to the bow above the back seat and pull straight down.

This pivots the bow slightly and pushes the top forward slightly as well. It should help in getting the latches to hook.

In the end time will be the best for letting everything stretch a bit.

The latching of the top at the window is easier since I've had it up and down a few times thankfully, was only the first time that it took a very forceful push to get it closed enough to start the hook on.

Top Bottom