Replacing the clutch in the XJ

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer that you have to do this outside and in the rain but, I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

tdougherty81

Bummer that you have to do this outside and in the rain but, I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do.

Got it partially pulled up in the barn, so at least it's dry where I'm working. Now I got an issue. The stupid alignment tool is the wrong one, too thick where it goes into the flywheel.

tdougherty81

Hopefully your other parts aren't incorrect too. Check your local parts store and see if they offer a different part number kit. Then see if the tool in that kit is the right one. That's my best guess.

I ended up renting a universal alignment tool. The only thing different was the hole for the flywheel.

tdougherty81

So I get everything back together, bleed the system and get it all pressured up. Started the Jeep up and go to push the clutch in and something blew. Lost all pressure and fluid is pouring out the bell housing. Not sure what happened but got to start all over.

Just in case the cheap slave I got is bad. 1450197493242.jpg

JeepJeep75

Man that sucks!!! That type of slave cylinder is such a RPITA!!! Did you apply a thin coating of grease on the splines of the input shaft? The input shaft looks like it was pretty dry and crunchy. Good luck with the next one. Sucks you have to be out in the weather to fix it. Good luck!! [emoji106]

WJCO

Meme King
So I get everything back together, bleed the system and get it all pressured up. Started the Jeep up and go to push the clutch in and something blew. Lost all pressure and fluid is pouring out the bell housing. Not sure what happened but got to start all over.

Just in case the cheap slave I got is bad.

Sorry to hear that. Hope it goes quicker this time as you know all the tools/bolts/etc.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You should look into installing a external slave.

I bought a crown one and it was broke new. The one from Napa was slightly more but you could tell the difference in the quality.

tdougherty81

Man that sucks!!! That type of slave cylinder is such a RPITA!!! Did you apply a thin coating of grease on the splines of the input shaft? The input shaft looks like it was pretty dry and crunchy. Good luck with the next one. Sucks you have to be out in the weather to fix it. Good luck!! [emoji106]

I did, I cleaned everything up before putting back together. So much work just to get to it. Hopefully better weather this time.

tdougherty81

Sorry to hear that. Hope it goes quicker this time as you know all the tools/bolts/etc.

I do feel better about it this time. My first clutch job and we had some issues which all have been resolved. Stripped bolts, driveshaft wouldn't telescope, clutch alignment, etc...

WJCO

Meme King
I do feel better about it this time. My first clutch job and we had some issues which all have been resolved. Stripped bolts, driveshaft wouldn't telescope, clutch alignment, etc...

I've had some learning experiences on driveway clutch jobs myself. After the 3rd one I did, I said screw it, not doing it anymore. Lol.

tdougherty81

The XJ lives! Replaced the faulted slave cylinder and it's all working this time around. Took a fraction of the time vs the 1st time.

Attachments

• 1451182922629.jpg
    1451182922629.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 48
Top Bottom