Rock krawler springs

rogerk93

Looking at the Rock krawler lifts and noticed between the springs of the 3.5 inch lift and the 5.5 inch 4 door lift the spring length are only a half inch to an inch different. But they are saying it will provide an additional 2 inches of lift. Anyone knows why? Different spring thickness provided more maybe?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Looking at the Rock krawler lifts and noticed between the springs of the 3.5 inch lift and the 5.5 inch 4 door lift the spring length are only a half inch to an inch different. But they are saying it will provide an additional 2 inches of lift. Anyone knows why? Different spring thickness provided more maybe?

That and they are prob stiffer. What size lift are you trying to achieve as well as tire size?

rogerk93

37's with a 4inch lift. Looking at their 3.5 lcg but would rather have a 4inch doesn't sound like much but would allow me to bring the tire up a little more .

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
37's with a 4inch lift. Looking at their 3.5 lcg but would rather have a 4inch doesn't sound like much but would allow me to bring the tire up a little more .

Have you looked at the Evo enforcer lift? If will ride a lot softer than the RK lift on both the 3" and 4" springs

rogerk93

Have you looked at the Evo enforcer lift? If will ride a lot softer than the RK lift on both the 3" and 4" springs

The problem with that kit is that it doesn't include all 8 control arms. I want a complete kit, the double d kit is another option I'm looking at.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
The best thing to do (unless your trying to go for the tallest JK in town look) is to run a 3.5" or less lift and cut your fenders to run 37s. Lower center of gravity is king on the trails. Plus softer ride will help offroad as well. Not just for comfort, but absorbing obstacles also. Look into the enforcer, I plan on running EVO coils when the budget allows since my Rough Country coils live up to their name.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
The problem with that kit is that it doesn't include all 8 control arms. I want a complete kit, the double d kit is another option I'm looking at.

You do not need all 8 control arms. That's why the evo one only comes with the front lowers.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Evo provides you with what you need for that kit. Being that you have a 4 door it have everything needed. If you had a 2 door you would only need to add in the extra cost of rear upper arms to set your pinion angle.

Also to save some cost you can skip the Evo spec king shocks and get some rancho or bilsteins shocks.

rogerk93

Evo provides you with what you need for that kit. Being that you have a 4 door it have everything needed. If you had a 2 door you would only need to add in the extra cost of rear upper arms to set your pinion angle.

Also to save some cost you can skip the Evo spec king shocks and get some rancho or bilsteins shocks.

I already have the King shocks sitting in my basement just waiting for a lift to match it with.

rogerk93

The best thing to do (unless your trying to go for the tallest JK in town look) is to run a 3.5" or less lift and cut your fenders to run 37s. Lower center of gravity is king on the trails. Plus softer ride will help offroad as well. Not just for comfort, but absorbing obstacles also. Look into the enforcer, I plan on running EVO coils when the budget allows since my Rough Country coils live up to their name.

That's a factor I was thinking about I already have flat fenders on my jeep. I'll prob go with the 3.5 Rock krawler long arm and 37's

Kyle09Rubi

That's a factor I was thinking about I already have flat fenders on my jeep. I'll prob go with the 3.5 Rock krawler long arm and 37's

I have 3.5" RK springs and I cannot wait to switch them out with a pair of plush rides. While they do stay seated better during full droop, their new triple rate design is just terrible for on road use and the roads here in TN are riddled with potholes.

Eddie review them awhile back and I've included a link to that below.
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?27006-Rock-Krawler-Triple-Rate-vs-TeraFlex-Coil-Testing-out-on-Prison-Hill

Flat Top

Be aware that the RK rear control arms are about an in longer than stock by design and lead to some serious spring bow as well as clearance issues with the rear track bar upper bracket. I went with the RK lift because it included the 8 arms as well. I probably would not make that same decision again.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Be aware that the RK rear control arms are about an in longer than stock by design and lead to some serious spring bow as well as clearance issues with the rear track bar upper bracket. I went with the RK lift because it included the 8 arms as well. I probably would not make that same decision again.

Yup I had RK arms on my jeep. They were prob on for a month before I ripped them off and sold them. Hands down the worst buy I made for my jeep.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

They have heavier spring rate. It really is the only way to get you sitting up so high and not something unique to RK. Unfortunately, a tall lift coil will also offer up a firm ride.

rogerk93

They have heavier spring rate. It really is the only way to get you sitting up so high and not something unique to RK. Unfortunately, a tall lift coil will also offer up a firm ride.

Would you suggest going with the evo 4inch double d long arm? How are they compared to others?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would you suggest going with the evo 4inch double d long arm? How are they compared to others?

What I can tell you is that ride quality is 100% subjective. While it's not my cup of tea, some people do like a firm ride. That being said, the 4" Plush Ride coils that EVO makes are without question, the softest riding coils you can get bar none and if it were me, it's what I would go with. What you do need to know about them is that they only offer 4" of lift (most 4" lift coils yield 5" or more) and being that they're so soft, they will sag a bit if you load up your Jeep with a lot of gear. When I was testing out these coils, I had to run 1" coil spacers to help make of the difference in the rear as I carry a ton of stuff all the time.

FuriousDz

I ran their (RK) 3.5" lift with 37's. The 3.5 yielded a little more than 4" of lift. The kit is a good quality but their springs are VERY stiff, too stiff to my liking but again as Eddie mentioned ride quality is 100% subjective. If I did it over Id go with the EVO

JCDriller

I'm really happy with how my RK 3.5" springs ride, that being said the rear control arms piss me off. I had to grind the crap out of my ARB diff cover so it wouldn't pound the RK track bar and that is with the lowers full shortened. It has come to my attention that they are selling a standard length arm now, maybe by special request, don't know but its out there.

rogerk93

What I can tell you is that ride quality is 100% subjective. While it's not my cup of tea, some people do like a firm ride. That being said, the 4" Plush Ride coils that EVO makes are without question, the softest riding coils you can get bar none and if it were me, it's what I would go with. What you do need to know about them is that they only offer 4" of lift (most 4" lift coils yield 5" or more) and being that they're so soft, they will sag a bit if you load up your Jeep with a lot of gear. When I was testing out these coils, I had to run 1" coil spacers to help make of the difference in the rear as I carry a ton of stuff all the time.

I rather have a firm ride. I'm not a fan of a soft riding coil because of the floating feel you get. Also with the plush ride sagging was a concern of mine for a few reasons and that you pointed it out really set my mind to avoid those. Rock krawler either has people who loves their kit and says it's perfect than they have a good amount of people who says they had many problems with their parts. Haven't really come across negative comments of the evo kit.

rogerk93

I'm really happy with how my RK 3.5" springs ride, that being said the rear control arms piss me off. I had to grind the crap out of my ARB diff cover so it wouldn't pound the RK track bar and that is with the lowers full shortened. It has come to my attention that they are selling a standard length arm now, maybe by special request, don't know but its out there.

How firm was the ride for you? Any problem with the control arms or sagging?

Top Bottom