Clock Spring

robertoloco

Well my air bag light went on 4 weeks ago. Did some research and found out it was a fairly common problem (08 Wrangler ).Bad clockspring.I checked for loose connectors under seat and in side pillar.Everything seemed good.Drove it 3 weeks hoping it would just disappear.No luck.So I went online and ordered one up.Today it arrived at my po box.Hopped in the jeep to go pick it up and guess what,the light no longer comes on.I guess I will keep it on a shelf Im sure the light will come back eventually. Lol.

RDE2ROK

My 3rd Clockspring just went out:doh: but it's a recall, so the stealership replaces it for free every time! Mine is an 07. They are junk clock-springs! :naw:

robertoloco

My 3rd Clockspring just went out:doh: but it's a recall, so the stealership replaces it for free every time! Mine is an 07. They are junk clock-springs! :naw:

There probably a recall on mine as well.I am not the original owner.I guess I would call stealership to find out if there is a recall on it and find out if they would replace it.

RDE2ROK

There probably a recall on mine as well.I am not the original owner.I guess I would call stealership to find out if there is a recall on it and find out if they would replace it.

There is a recall. My first one was covered under warranty, then a recall came out for my second one. The service guy said once there is a recall and it's been replaced, they will replace them every time after that.:thumb: so replace it on their dime!

RDE2ROK

So here's the deal, I just dropped my jeep off at the Stealership and they looked up my last Clockspring replacement, he told me it's warranted for 2 years after replacement. I'm ok on this one and now I'm good for 2 more years. So if they are gunna go out, they need to do it within 2 years! You would think they could make a better one that won't go bad!:thinking:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So here's the deal, I just dropped my jeep off at the Stealership and they looked up my last Clockspring replacement, he told me it's warranted for 2 years after replacement. I'm ok on this one and now I'm good for 2 more years. So if they are gunna go out, they need to do it within 2 years! You would think they could make a better one that won't go bad!:thinking:

They won't go bad if you leave your jeep stock.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
They won't go bad if you leave your jeep stock.

LOL!! That or stay out of the dirt.

I've taken one apart to see what's going on and the tape is just a copper ribbon with a resin coating on it. From what I could see, over time, dirt between the tape begins to act like sandpaper and that eventually chafes though it. Once that happens, the clockspring is bad.

JAGS

Hooked
LOL!! That or stay out of the dirt.

I've taken one apart to see what's going on and the tape is just a copper ribbon with a resin coating on it. From what I could see, over time, dirt between the tape begins to act like sandpaper and that eventually chafes though it. Once that happens, the clockspring is bad.

Yet another example of the negative effects of chafing. [emoji23][emoji23]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
:thinking: So I'm supposed to leave my jeep stock and not go in the dirt?:crazyeyes::icon_crazy::idontknow::doh::naw::grayno: WTF!

Well, there's a pencil pusher at Chrylser who seems to think so anyway :crazyeyes:

Clark Collins

got reimbursed

I got the recall notice a few months ago. Since I had already had the clockspring replaced I went to the recall reimbursement website that was in the notice. I had paid $380.03 to have mine replaced at the dealership where I bought the Jeep. I just got the reimbursement check for that amount in the mail today.

When I had the work done at the dealership in February of 2015 they told me that the repair was warranteed for three years, parts and labor. I don't know if I will still be on the list to have the repair (with the steering column modification) when the parts come in, but will be watching the mail for a notice on that.

If you have already replaced your clockspring you should go to the trouble to seek reimbursement, but you will likely need good documentation.

Jeepmonger

My airbag light has been on for quite awhile and the passenger airbag light stays lit. Took it to the dealer last year and they said no codes came up for the clock spring. Said the sensor in the passenger seat is the culprit but they wanted 600.00 for the part. So I got the recall notice and took it in they said no clockspring codes so they said I was good to go. I have no confidence in the stealership!

Top Bottom