Rock Krawler or Metal Cloak arms

projectMMTB

Just ordered some Walker Evans and 37s yesterday over at SBC offroad and now it's tim to get the suspension build to take its next step.
Anyone have any input on metal cloak stacked up against RK?
I've heard various things

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Any reason in particular why you would choose between these two arms and not anything else?

I'm not totally sold on the MetalCloak joints as they are new to the market and have already seen a few failures. The arms themselves are decent enough though. If you go with Rock Krawler, I would recommend that you get their standard length ones and NOT their "mid arms". The later are nothing more than arms that are 1" too long, totally unnecessary, won't help much with anything and if anything, will give you other problems to deal with. Their new joints are much better than their old ones and shouldn't have the squeaking problem they use to have but I haven't tested them out so I can't say for sure about them.

I'm also looking at control arms. Not sure if I have the money for a long arm kit so I will probably go short arm. My mine interests are Rock krawler, Evo, Currie. But I'm open to anything. I have heard good things about metalcloak but personally just don't wanna spend that kind of money when I hate the color of them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm also looking at control arms. Not sure if I have the money for a long arm kit so I will probably go short arm. My mine interests are Rock krawler, Evo, Currie. But I'm open to anything. I have heard good things about metalcloak but personally just don't wanna spend that kind of money when I hate the color of them.

So long as you're at about 3.5"-4" of lift or lower, factory length arms are really all that you need. I say "factory length" because on a JK, they are still way longer than what the old TJ before had - back when running "long" arms was something that you'd really want. The factory length JK arms will still sit flat enough to not adversely effect your ride quality. That being said, of the arms you have listed, I personally would go with Currie arms. EVO arms are made using Currie Johnny Joints so they are a good choice too. Of all the joints I have run, I have found that Johnny Joint, especially if they are on both ends of the arms have worked the best for me.

So long as you're at about 3.5"-4" of lift or lower, factory length arms are really all that you need. I say "factory length" because on a JK, they are still way longer than what the old TJ before had - back when running "long" arms was something that you'd really want. The factory length JK arms will still sit flat enough to not adversely effect your ride quality. That being said, of the arms you have listed, I personally would go with Currie arms. EVO arms are made using Currie Johnny Joints so they are a good choice too. Of all the joints I have run, I have found that Johnny Joint, especially if they are on both ends of the arms have worked the best for me.

I have 3 inch Evo springs getting probably 4 in of lift. I guess it's really between rock krawler and Currie then. Does rock krawler make a short arm or just the mid arm bullshit? Thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3 inch Evo springs getting probably 4 in of lift. I guess it's really between rock krawler and Currie then. Does rock krawler make a short arm or just the mid arm bullshit? Thanks

The EVO Plush Ride coils are true 3" springs on a 4 door and I do see you have a 2 door so yes, you may be sitting a bit taller but I doubt it's over 4". That being said, I think you'd be fine with factory length arms unless you're already feeling the need to smooth out your ride on pavement. I say "pavement" because that's where you would see the most benefit from long arms. Long arms will NOT provide you with more flex - just correct your suspension geometry.

I do believe that Rock Krawler does not offer control arms in a standard factory length.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn so I have to have that extra length? Doesn't it create problems

Yes and especially on a 2-door. You will see significant bowing of the rear coils and that will cause them to rub against the track bar. The degree wedges they sell won't be enough to fix this problem. If you go this route, I would recommend that you get JKS adjustable lower spring perches.

jedg

I was running RK arms and didn't like the heim joint they use. Even with regular maintenance (lubrication) they were noisy. I'm on Currie control arms now with johnny joints at both ends. I still have to perform regular maintenance on them (grease them) but they remain quiet and, probably all in my head, but I think they ride better.

I run the EVO coilivers on my two door with factory arms on the back and front uppers. The front lowers are the EVO adjustable ares from the kit. I have the lift set at around 4-5 in and I have awesome flex and a smooth ride on the road. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448988152.786738.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448988171.483600.jpg

FastZach

I noticed you said that control arms with Currie Johnny Joints at both ends work best. I'm looking at the Clayton Long Arm for my LJ and they have a kit with Currie Johnny Joints at both ends. Would this setup create a "rougher" ride than the regular single Johnny Joint? Would you recommend a LA kit with the Johnny Joints at both ends?

projectMMTB

Any reason in particular why you would choose between these two arms and not anything else?

I'm not totally sold on the MetalCloak joints as they are new to the market and have already seen a few failures. The arms themselves are decent enough though. If you go with Rock Krawler, I would recommend that you get their standard length ones and NOT their "mid arms". The later are nothing more than arms that are 1" too long, totally unnecessary, won't help much with anything and if anything, will give you other problems to deal with. Their new joints are much better than their old ones and shouldn't have the squeaking problem they use to have but I haven't tested them out so I can't say for sure about them.

One of the guys at the shop said he really liked RK on his rig but they had a JK outside and said it went to MOAB and did great with metal cloak arms
Long story short I'm open to anything man

BigPrince

One of the guys at the shop said he really liked RK on his rig but they had a JK outside and said it went to MOAB and did great with metal cloak arms
Long story short I'm open to anything man

Just curious, which shop?

I've had MC arms for the past year and they've run most of the major offroad parks here in the SE and ran a week in Moab without problems. I'm going to move to a double triangulated 4link in the rear and 3link in the front come Feb/Mar and will check them again then.

projectMMTB

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1448992137.909746.jpg
On a quick side note: do you know who's rig this is Eddie?
They said he's been to MOAB and thought I recognized him from one of your videos
Pretty sure it's the 666 on the side and the sticker on the grill that looks familiar.

projectMMTB

Just curious, which shop?

I've had MC arms for the past year and they've run most of the major offroad parks here in the SE and ran a week in Moab without problems. I'm going to move to a double triangulated 4link in the rear and 3link in the front come Feb/Mar and will check them again then.

SBC offroad in Gainesville Georgia
What shop do you use?

thardy

Banned
View attachment 175684
On a quick side note: do you know who's rig this is Eddie?
They said he's been to MOAB and thought I recognized him from one of your videos
Pretty sure it's the 666 on the side and the sticker on the grill that looks familiar.

That's a guy that used to be on here before he went complete troll a while back. I believe his username was choosingtangent or something like that.

WJCO

Meme King

Wow. What a read! I will say Thardy, this metaphor of yours was quite a laugh "You walk into Eddie's house and bitch slap all of his guests and don't expect people to respond in the way we all have? " I can just picture someone walking into a party and just randomly bitch-slapping everyone, I'm sure he's warm and cozy on his other forum now.

Top Bottom