Replacement Hoods

tonytony9

To make a long story short I got some damage to both my cowl and hood recently. The cowl itself needs to be completely replaced while the hood could just get some body work. Since my insurance company is helping me out with the damages and I have a chain of body shops in the family I thought this to be the perfect time to just replace the hood.

I have basically looked through almost all the options (I posted a thread earlier this year about the same thing) but recently I have been turned onto the hood I am listing below. Though it is pricey, it is not too out of my price range since I am get some reimbursement. I absolutely love the look of this hood but just wanted to get some feedback from the forums on it.

I found the hood in two places: One which is made out of fiberglass for $950 and another one which is made from steel which was $800 (with free shipping).

http://jeep.rebeloffroad.com/product-p/ttl-jkheh.htm - This is the fiberglass one for $950.

I almost prefer to go with the steel version because for one it is cheaper and two I do not care about the extra weight. Plus, fiberglass hoods usually do not withstand the elements as well.

What do you all think?

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Still think thats a cool looking hood. I would go steel either way tho, like you said fiberglass may not hold up with elements long term. I would go with an oem mopar hood however since you know itll fit perfectly. The 10A hood vents can be modded to make them real vents.

To flashy for me. I would find an OE hood on Craigslist and buy the poison spyder hood lover and save about $500 for more jeep toys. But that's just me. Cool looking hood though

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Looks good, but I'd be afraid to crack it. If you already put dents big enough to have to replace your stock hood, I could only imagine what would have happened to this one.

BLK HULK

Still think thats a cool looking hood. I would go steel either way tho, like you said fiberglass may not hold up with elements long term. I would go with an oem mopar hood however since you know itll fit perfectly. The 10A hood vents can be modded to make them real vents.

What do you mean modded? They are open.

JoeB-JKURX

I also thought they were open but just looked at my 2014 Rubicon X (same as HR and 10A) hood. There may be a small passage for heat to escape but they are most certainly not open. I'd like to hear from someone who opened theirs, what they did and whether there were any negative issues.

tonytony9

I don't really like the look of that hood too much but it is an option. I want something really aggressive essentially.

tonytony9

To flashy for me. I would find an OE hood on Craigslist and buy the poison spyder hood lover and save about $500 for more jeep toys. But that's just me. Cool looking hood though

I've considered that option as a way of covering up the damage on the hood, but now that I can get the body work done for free I would rather kinda go "all out".

tonytony9

Looks good, but I'd be afraid to crack it. If you already put dents big enough to have to replace your stock hood, I could only imagine what would have happened to this one.

The hood does not need to be replaced. The damage is actually easily fixable (just a few big scratches with a small dent - hood wise at least). A basketball hoop fell on the hood/cowl on my car. My jk is almost always garaged it just happened that one day it was not. So I am not planning on any major damage occurring.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
The 10a hoods are not open. The vents on there are fake. To make them really work you need to cut the back plastic off from the underside and leave the mesh.

10a vents do have a small opening but it will flow very little heat out. You can pop them out, and dremel out as much or as little as you'd like. You could warm a burrito over mine now.

tonytony9

I have looked into all the hoods you are discussing and I believe I want the one I posted. Just trying to decide between the steel or the fiberglass. This is what I am really looking for input on. Thank you for all the other advice though.

Steel is cheaper fiber is lighter one may crack the other will dent. I would go fiber because anything that will crack the fiber will dent the steel

jorgelrod

Hooked
10a vents do have a small opening but it will flow very little heat out. You can pop them out, and dremel out as much or as little as you'd like. You could warm a burrito over mine now.

Interesting, can you share a Pic, I've always wondered why my temps never came down after I switched to the 10A hood. I'd love to do this, as a separate question, know that you did this, have you checked your engine bay after a good hard rain? Still interested in doing this, just wondering since we get a lot of rain down here...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Interesting I thought they were fully enclosed from the few times j have looked at them. Thanks for correcting me :thumb:

tonytony9

Steel is cheaper fiber is lighter one may crack the other will dent. I would go fiber because anything that will crack the fiber will dent the steel

The fiberglass one is $150 more and I do not think that price includes shipping (most likely around $150 for shipping). Do you think it is actually worth that much more? I am really not looking to spend over a thousand for a hood.

Also, based on the steal hood pictures I am not fully sure if the vents have the drainage pathways under them. I know the fiberlgass one does for sure though.

The fiberglass one is $150 more and I do not think that price includes shipping (most likely around $150 for shipping). Do you think it is actually worth that much more? I am really not looking to spend over a thousand for a hood.

Also, based on the steal hood pictures I am not fully sure if the vents have the drainage pathways under them. I know the fiberlgass one does for sure though.

Yeah not sure on the drainage for the steel hood. They should both be built the same so as far as shipping the fiber should be less because of the weight

Top Bottom