CB radio mount on JK?

Adrenalinemasher

Anybody have any ideas how to mount a cb unit in the cab in a accessible way without drilling holes in my jeep? I'd really like to get my old cab in here but all the mount kits i seem to be able to find involve drilling in some capacity. I'd really like to avoid this.

mastrcruse

I did a CB mount that attaches to the 2 bolts hold the center hardtop latch. Prior to that I used quadratecs CB mount for the passenger side. Now that I put a cage in, I drill the mount into the sound bar so the CB is in the middle.

Evil

I made a mount that bolted under the front seat with the face of the radio towards the front, had an external speaker velcrowed to the center console facing forward and used a mic with a longer cord on it. No holes drilled into the Jeep, just needed to know where the power switch was without looking at it. No pics but it worked out great.

Adrenalinemasher

I made a mount that bolted under the front seat with the face of the radio towards the front, had an external speaker velcrowed to the center console facing forward and used a mic with a longer cord on it. No holes drilled into the Jeep, just needed to know where the power switch was without looking at it. No pics but it worked out great.

This sounds like a great idea. Was the bracket difficult to make or would some basic welding and cutting do it?

Adrenalinemasher

Rugged ridge makes a nice overhead mount

From what i can tell the rugged ridge one seems to require that i drill two screws into the plastic up there. If that's incorrect then that would be awesome and ill just order that but it sure looks like you do.

colo dean

This was on our '10, used a couple insulated cable clamps and 2 small angle brackets bolted to the CB bracket on the center footman loop. Held it up above the rear view mirror. Not the greatest image but I think you can get the idea. The '14 we have now I used a KC roll bar light mount and mounted it to the center bar on the rock hard cage.
IMG_4499_zpsjfpdjtfn.jpg

From what i can tell the rugged ridge one seems to require that i drill two screws into the plastic up there. If that's incorrect then that would be awesome and ill just order that but it sure looks like you do.

I dont recall doing that but id have to look. This is the one i have.

Attachments

• 1449025676369.jpg
    1449025676369.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 471

BABOOZLE

Caught the Bug
My friends and I all have the Cobra 75 hand held unit. It works great on the trails and the entire unit is in your hand. It just plugs in under the glove box when in use. Very clean install and can be put away out of sight. It's about $100. Just another option. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449026021.373437.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
No drilling required on the Rugged Ridge mount. You remove the two screws that hold one of the hoops for the hard top latches.
The mount is placed under the hoop and screws re-inserted. Pretty secure mount.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
Ill have to look if mine has the same bolt available is my center console is different from the one pictured. Also does that setup ever get in the way of your leg?

I'm 6' tall and I don't notice it being there. I had it mounted in my 2 door for 2 years, when we traded for the 4 door I put back in same location.

Adrenalinemasher

On mine there is plastic over the center loop the screws do not appear accessible does anyone know if the Rugged Ridge goes around this plastic or if it would have to be removed

Attachments

• 1449030423439.jpg
    1449030423439.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

Evil

This sounds like a great idea. Was the bracket difficult to make or would some basic welding and cutting do it?

A drill or a drill press, a vice to make a couple bends, grinding wheel and done. You can mount the stock CB mounting bracket to your bracket and set it up however it works for you. Super easy. It was made out of 1 inch wide 3/16 flat stock.

Adrenalinemasher

A drill or a drill press, a vice to make a couple bends, grinding wheel and done. You can mount the stock CB mounting bracket to your bracket and set it up however it works for you. Super easy. It was made out of 1 inch wide 3/16 flat stock.

Cool man. Thanks.... I think Im gonna go this route. Appreciate the info.

DemCoconuts

The Rugged Ridge instructions say that the only drilling required is to remove the rivets that hold the roof catch in place on 2007-2011 models. With that said, when I installed mine the other week (on an 09), my catch was not riveted in, but rather torx head screwed in from factory. No drilling for me.

Easy mounting, works great and cheap. Would go that route again.

Top Bottom