Need some expert input

So for a while now ive been weighing some options. Long story short, my rig is at a pivotal point in the build where the downfalls of owning a sport come to light. Im at a point where to progress, its time for axles, lockers etc...

So my question is, do i keep chipping away at the upgrades? Or do i sell and start over with a rubicon before i start spending big money upgrading a sport? I guess it would mostly revolve around what i could get out of my jeep.

Heres where i stand:
2012 jku sport
24,000 mi
3" evo enforcer w/ rancho 9k
35 toyos
Evo skins
Evo skids/gussets
Coast 1310 DS
Crawler conceptz bumper
Evo d-ring mounts in rear
Rubicon rock rails and wheels w/spacers
A pillar LEDs
Maybe some other little stuff im forgetting...

So what kind of money are we talking here?

And is it worth starting over? Or do i stay the with the one ive got? Let me add that im perfectly happy with my rig now, but do intend on progressing to lockers, 37s and such.

Any input would be great.

WJCO

Meme King
So for a while now ive been weighing some options. Long story short, my rig is at a pivotal point in the build where the downfalls of owning a sport come to light. Im at a point where to progress, its time for axles, lockers etc...

So my question is, do i keep chipping away at the upgrades? Or do i sell and start over with a rubicon before i start spending big money upgrading a sport? I guess it would mostly revolve around what i could get out of my jeep.

Heres where i stand:
2012 jku sport
24,000 mi
35 toyos
Evo skins
Evo skids/gussets
Coast 1310 DS
Crawler conceptz bumper
A pillar LEDs

And is it worth starting over? Or do i stay the with the one ive got? Let me add that im perfectly happy with my rig now, but do intend on progressing to lockers, 37s and such.

I would keep it personally. With low mileage, that thing should last you awhile. Look at the time/labor/memories you have in it. Can't replace that. That's just me.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Am I missing something? You're on 35's so what's wrong with your current setup? Are you planning for 40's?

Edit: I missed that last part. Keep what you have until it breaks.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Is your Jeep paid off? If not, how much longer do you have to go? If so, it'll still cost a lot less to upgrade things like your front axle and transfer case (the only things that you'd really need to do at this point) than it would be to sell and start over again with a Rubicon. While used JK's are fetching a pretty penny these days, new Rubicons are too. Now, if you're okay with running a stock Rubicon for a while, it could be worth the jump. If you didn't already have a 3.6L motor, I would be more inclined to say yes, do it but, being that you do have one already, it does make it a harder choice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Keep it. I'm sorry Matt but your insane if your seriously thinking of selling it. To be able to run 37's in the future all you need is a pr44 and regear/lock the rear. Otherwise the only other real upgrade you would need off of a Rubi is the t case

thardy

Banned
I'm with the rest of these guys. Keep it man. If you hadn't gotten so far on your current, it would be different. All you really need is the axle and you're good for 37s. And hey, it's ok to just have 35s.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

Heres where i stand:
2012 jku sport
24,000 mi
35 toyos
Evo skins
Evo skids/gussets
Coast 1310 DS
Crawler conceptz bumper
A pillar LEDs

I do not recommend that you start over.

Personally, I traded in a paid off 2009 JKU Sport for my 2014. While having all the Rubicon stuff is nice, the monthly payment is not. I'd have a better JK than I have now if I kept the 09.

I'd regear, add a rear locker, focus on paying it off and start saving for everything you need for 37s. :yup:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Keep it. I'm sorry Matt but your insane if your seriously thinking of selling it. To be able to run 37's in the future all you need is a pr44 and regear/lock the rear. Otherwise the only other real upgrade you would need off of a Rubi is the t case

This :thumb:

I vote keep it as well. All you need is a front axle and maybe tcase and you would be good to go.

Last edited:
This :thumb:

I do not recommend that you start over.

Personally, I traded in a paid off 2009 JKU Sport for my 2014. While having all the Rubicon stuff is nice, the monthly payment is not. I'd have a better JK than I have now if I kept the 09.

I'd regear, add a rear locker, focus on paying it off and start saving for everything you need for 37s. :yup:

I would keep it personally. With low mileage, that thing should last you awhile. Look at the time/labor/memories you have in it. Can't replace that. That's just me.

Am I missing something? You're on 35's so what's wrong with your current setup? Are you planning for 40's?

Edit: I missed that last part. Keep what you have until it breaks.

Is your Jeep paid off? If not, how much longer do you have to go? If so, it'll still cost a lot less to upgrade things like your front axle and transfer case (the only things that you'd really need to do at this point) than it would be to sell and start over again with a Rubicon. While used JK's are fetching a pretty penny these days, new Rubicons are too. Now, if you're okay with running a stock Rubicon for a while, it could be worth the jump. If you didn't already have a 3.6L motor, I would be more inclined to say yes, do it but, being that you do have one already, it does make it a harder choice.

I'm with the rest of these guys. Keep it man. If you hadn't gotten so far on your current, it would be different. All you really need is the axle and you're good for 37s. And hey, it's ok to just have 35s.
Im actually really glad to hear all of you say the same thing. I love the hell out of my rig and am definately attatched to it. Every drop of labor has been done by me over countless hours, and theres definately no getting that back. I appreciate the reassurance. Needed to hear it from some peers to convince myself im going in the right direction i guess. Thanks again.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Im actually really glad to hear all of you say the same thing. I love the hell out of my rig and am definately attatched to it. Every drop of labor has been done by me over countless hours, and theres definately no getting that back. I appreciate the reassurance. Needed to hear it from some peers to convince myself im going in the right direction i guess. Thanks again.

I had a hard time getting rid of my 2 door, but really wanted a 4 door so that was the big push for me. If I couldnt have kept like 90% of the parts from it, I wouldnt have traded it in since I would be no where near the point I am now with my 4 door.

Grubbicon

What would a rubi Tcase be worth in your opinion?

Matt found one for ya lol

GregMort13

Caught the Bug

Agreed. Put your money in a prorock and an atlas tcase. Much better quality products then the rubi stuff. Take it from me. I just traded in my 15 2dr sport for a 15 4dr rubi bc my wifes pregnant and i need a 4dr now. I miss my 2dr so much. It had slabs, 37 toyos, enforcer etc. youll miss your old one. You forget how much money you have in your rig til you have to do it again to a new one. Keep it my friend. I plan to stay 35s bc of my wife and the baby and it will be her DD. Rubi lockers will really only handle 35s comfortably to my knowledge and the disconnects go bad quick. Thats why i got a rubi. But if your gonna go to 37s, youll have to replace it all eventually anyway. So your paying an extra 100 a month for a tcase...

Agreed. Put your money in a prorock and an atlas tcase. Much better quality products then the rubi stuff. Take it from me. I just traded in my 15 2dr sport for a 15 4dr rubi bc my wifes pregnant and i need a 4dr now. I miss my 2dr so much. It had slabs, 37 toyos, enforcer etc. youll miss your old one. You forget how much money you have in your rig til you have to do it again to a new one. Keep it my friend. I plan to stay 35s bc of my wife and the baby and it will be her DD. Rubi lockers will really only handle 35s comfortably to my knowledge and the disconnects go bad quick. Thats why i got a rubi. But if your gonna go to 37s, youll have to replace it all eventually anyway. So your paying an extra 100 a month for a tcase...
This is all very true. Im not hung up on 37s really. I want to upgrade the front regardless. Mostly wanted to be sure i wasnt going about all of this the hard way ya know?

thardy

Banned
This is all very true. Im not hung up on 37s really. I want to upgrade the front regardless. Mostly wanted to be sure i wasnt going about all of this the hard way ya know?

I think if the rubi front was a true 44, it would be different.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Lol. Thanks scott. I want to do the axle/gears/locker first though but its probably gonna be a bit. The tcase is doable for now.

IMO the t case is the last thing I would worry about. Do the gears, locker, and front axle first

IMO the t case is the last thing I would worry about. Do the gears, locker, and front axle first
The axle is my next biggest hump. Im pretty torn on which route to go there. I know a pr44 is the ideal route, but your also talkin 4k easy. I just dont know if the budget will every allow for that. Thats alot of money to justify for the wheeling i get to do. A take off 44 is more in my money ball park with two young kids. I know you dont gain as much but i wonder if for me, it would be the better fit. Decisions decisions.

Top Bottom