New guy with questions

RageKage

First off Wave from Alaska!
I'm new to the forum and from excited to learn and share with everyone here.

A little background on myself, I'm a vehicle mechanic/ recovery operator for the U.S. Army. Been in about 6 years now. Originally from NorCal, I am no stranger to jeeps as I've had a '74 CJ-5 for 7 years now but unfortunately I did not build it, so I am new to the building game. I also have a '14 JKU that I am in the process of building, nicknamed The Black Plague. Mods done so far...

6.5inch BDS long arm lift kit
37x12.5x18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
18 KMC XD Rockstar II rims
Smittybilt XRC fender armor (front and rear)
Rugged Ridge cowl corner guards
Poison Spyder Tramp Stamp license plate relocation

Before the ridicule and chastising ensues, yes I know it's horrible to have a stock drivetrain, yes I need to upgrade etc. etc. I know.

My question is now that the ice and snow has come occasionally I get rear wheel slippage, a few times the ABS, brake, and ESP light has come on and stay on for about a minute or two then goes off. I've tried turning the vehicle off then back on to reset the lights and didn't work, but went off a minute later. Is this common when the tires slip or is this a sign of something bigger?

Last edited:

wackamole

First off Wave from Alaska!
I'm new to the forum and from excited to learn and share with everyone here.

A little background on myself, I'm a vehicle mechanic/ recovery operator for the U.S. Army. Been in about 6 years now. Originally from NorCal, I am no stranger to jeeps as I've had a '74 CJ-5 for 7 years now but unfortunately I did not build it, so I am new to the building game. I also have a '14 JKU that I am in the process of building, nicknamed The Black Plague. Mods done so far...

6.5inch BDS long arm lift kit
37x12.5x18 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
18 KMC XD Rockstar II rims
Smittybilt XRC fender armor (front and rear)
Rugged Ridge cowl corner guards
Poison Spyder Tramp Stamp license plate relocation

Before the ridicule and chastising ensues, yes I know it's horrible to have a stock drivetrain, yes I need to upgrade etc. etc. I know.

My question is now that the ice and snow has come occasionally I get rear wheel slippage, a few times the ABS, brake, and ESP light has come on and stay on for about a minute or two then goes off. I've tried turning the vehicle off then back on to reset the lights and didn't work, but went off a minute later. Is this common when the tires slip or is this a sign of something bigger?

I'm not sure about your specific issues.. but usually pulling the battery leads is needed to reset stuff like that. My buddy had to disconnect his battery and pump the brakes a couple times to reset his subaru's computer. Have you reprogrammed the computer for the tire size, etc?

RageKage

I'm not sure about your specific issues.. but usually pulling the battery leads is needed to reset stuff like that. My buddy had to disconnect his battery and pump the brakes a couple times to reset his subaru's computer. Have you reprogrammed the computer for the tire size, etc?

Nothing has been reprogrammed yet or regeared or any brake upgrades. It's horrible but haven't been able to do any more mods yet.

seanb123

Nothing has been reprogrammed yet or regeared or any brake upgrades. It's horrible but haven't been able to do any more mods yet.

I'd start with a programmer this will help fighting the jeep traction control and your vehicle will actually know what's going on if you are slipping. I never thought I needed to reprogram but it was the little things like traction control going off on exits that was the worst.

RageKage

I'd start with a programmer this will help fighting the jeep traction control and your vehicle will actually know what's going on if you are slipping. I never thought I needed to reprogram but it was the little things like traction control going off on exits that was the worst.

Thank you! I will definitely give that a try. Is there a way to get rid of traction control and the ESC? A fuse to pull or something like that?

seanb123

Thank you! I will definitely give that a try. Is there a way to get rid of traction control and the ESC? A fuse to pull or something like that?

I don't believe it's that easy. Pulling fuses like that might even get it into limp mode. Really you should just get the pro cal you'll thank me later.

RageKage

I don't believe it's that easy. Pulling fuses like that might even get it into limp mode. Really you should just get the pro cal you'll thank me later.

Ok. I'm just getting annoyed that every time I try and slide on the ice the traction control kicks in and ruins all the fun. Haha

seanb123

Ok. I'm just getting annoyed that every time I try and slide on the ice the traction control kicks in and ruins all the fun. Haha

I mean the easiest way to deal with that is put in a locker. Traction control will see no problems with it locked. At least that's what I do when I find a empty parking lot. But you can hold down the traction control for a few second and its supposed to be "off" but it's not completely off.

RageKage

I mean the easiest way to deal with that is put in a locker. Traction control will see no problems with it locked. At least that's what I do when I find a empty parking lot. But you can hold down the traction control for a few second and its supposed to be "off" but it's not completely off.

That's good to know! I never knew having a locker would essentially "trick" the system. Yea I mean traction control is a good idea and all but it's more of a pain than it's worth. And then the fact you can turn it "off" but it's not actually off is extremely frustrating

JeepDrum

That's good to know! I never knew having a locker would essentially "trick" the system. Yea I mean traction control is a good idea and all but it's more of a pain than it's worth. And then the fact you can turn it "off" but it's not actually off is extremely frustrating
I have no personal experience with this, but I have seen people online talking about a kill switch for the esp system. Apparently if you splice a switch into one of the traction control wires or something it will disable it until the engine is shut off and restarted. There's also a sequence with the steering wheel and stuff that I used on my 2008. Not sure of it works for all model years though. I can purposely slide around in snow if I want, and my abs still works when it's supposed to which is nice.

wackamole

I'm assuming you're referring to the aev pro cal? If so, hows the ease of use. I know there's some DIP switches on there.. so it's kind of like programming a garage door opener, I would think.

Top Bottom