Installing Evo Long Arm Upgrade

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Ok guys, I am planning on installing my Evo Bolt On Long Arm Upgrade tomorrow. Again, this is JUST the Long arm upgrade, so springs, shocks, steering, etc will NOT be touched. I have already scheduled out the shop space here at work for Saturday starting at 6am (NON AUTOMOTIVE) and just want to make sure I have everything I need to do the install before I'm halfway in a realize I need a tool and need to wait for someone to come pick me up/drop off tools. I'm planning on welding the brackets in, but still debating on drilling all the holes or not. I am using the work shop for access to Plasma, acetylene, air, grinders, and MIG.

tools I have already set aside:

Jack
2 6-ton jack stands
2 2-ton jack stand (axle)
16mm socket (Body Mounts)
18mm socket & wrench
19mm socket (wheel lugs)
21mm socket & wrench
Extensions (3/8" and 1/2" Drive)
Universal
Ratchets (3/8" & 1/2" Drive)
10-150 ft-lb torque wrench
1/2" Impact
Power Drill
Center punch & Hammer
Unibit
9/16" Drill bit
2 cans Spray Paint (Frame and Brackets)
Paint Pen

Is anything else necessary? or should I bring JUST IN CASE? I dont usually do work like this outside of my garage/driveway but the cutting tools will GREATLY improve my install time, from what would take days, into mear hours.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe good flap discs for your grinder if it doesn't come with them. Also, I personally like to use a unibit for pilot holes as they tend to cut into the frame faster and without breaking. That being said, I wouldn't bother drilling out all the holes if you're going to burn this kit in. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got it covered.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Maybe good flap discs for your grinder if it doesn't come with them. Also, I personally like to use a unibit for pilot holes as they tend to cut into the frame faster and without breaking. That being said, I wouldn't bother drilling out all the holes if you're going to burn this kit in. Otherwise, it sounds like you've got it covered.

Thanks for the tip Eddie! I'll pick up a unibit tonight on my way home from work, I need one anyway for MANY other things Jeep related ;)

EDIT: Do I need to grease the Johnny Joints before driving the jeep? or do they come Pre-Greased? If I need to Grease them during install, can anyone recommend a grease and gun I can hopefully source locally (Houston) after 4:30pm today? I do not have air at home (aside from the powerplant on the jeep) so I would like to stay away from a pneumatic grease gun if possible

Last edited:
Run as much gas out of your tank as possible. You will need to drop it to weld on the rear passenger brackets. Also bring with you an alignment tool. You know, one that goes through holes and helps you align the holes so you can pop a bolt through? That tool helped me a ton. Also remember your floor jack on the opposite side of the side your working on to help get those CA bolt holes aligned on the axle. I see you've got the sockets covered but make sure you have hand wrenches too. Post up some pictures when your done!!! Oh, and there are always us lurkers hanging around if you need to reach out tomorrow.....Good luck!!:rock:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Run as much gas out of your tank as possible. You will need to drop it to weld on the rear passenger brackets. Also bring with you an alignment tool. You know, one that goes through holes and helps you align the holes so you can pop a bolt through? That tool helped me a ton. Also remember your floor jack on the opposite side of the side your working on to help get those CA bolt holes aligned on the axle. I see you've got the sockets covered but make sure you have hand wrenches too. Post up some pictures when your done!!! Oh, and there are always us lurkers hanging around if you need to reach out tomorrow.....Good luck!!:rock:

Alignment tool? you mean a crow bar? :thinking: I honestly am not sure what your talking about.

As for dropping the gas tank, I thought that was no longer necessary? at least Evo is advertising it as "no need to remove the gas tank" these days, I'll look into whats needed to drop it and make sure I have it on hand in case. Thank you for bringing that up. the gas light is on in the jeep, I'll just buy a few gallons tonight to keep it light in case.

I got a floor jack (2)

Sockets AND Wrenches, Check!

Organized Pics/Reading material will be posted up in my build thread either Saturday evening or Sunday some time for sure! I haven't updated it in so long, I may just start a new one... :thumb:

and I REALLY hope some lurkers are hanging around tomorrow just in case I get myself into a pinch. I plan on using this thread to post quick pics/questions/issues/etc throughout the install, so if anyone reading this has experience with the kit, please subscribe and reply throughout the day tomorrow!

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the tip Eddie! I'll pick up a unibit tonight on my way home from work, I need one anyway for MANY other things Jeep related ;)

EDIT: Do I need to grease the Johnny Joints before driving the jeep? or do they come Pre-Greased? If I need to Grease them during install, can anyone recommend a grease and gun I can hopefully source locally (Houston) after 4:30pm today? I do not have air at home (aside from the powerplant on the jeep) so I would like to stay away from a pneumatic grease gun if possible

I grease mine with suspension grease that has moly in it. Easy to find.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I grease mine with suspension grease that has moly in it. Easy to find.

I'll look into this if need be, But if they are already greased from assembly by Evo, then I'ed rather order online and get quality, then grab something local because "I needed it"... Does anyone know if ORE greases the joints immediately? It doesn't say anything about greasing the joints in the instructions. I did not purchase through ORE, so I dont want to waste their time with a phone call. I ordered the kit from... well, lets put it this way, it came with free skittles... :hmm:

From what I have found so far, it looks like all that is needed to drop the fuel tank is an 18mm and an extension, so I'll be sure to have those on hand. :thumb:

Havoc40

Alignment tool? you mean a crow bar? :thinking: I honestly am not sure what your talking about.

I use what they call a "lady foot" prybar. They're awesome! I have this set, but don't expect you to pony up the $$ for something this expensive https://store.snapon.com/Prybars-4pc-Prybar-Set-6-20--P634955.aspx

I'm sure harbor freight sells something. I'd check there.

EDIT- Just saw this. Mayhew is a quality brand. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayhew-Lady-foot-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-60150/203761860

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
I use what they call a "lady foot" prybar. They're awesome! I have this set, but don't expect you to pony up the $$ for something this expensive https://store.snapon.com/Prybars-4pc-Prybar-Set-6-20--P634955.aspx

EDIT- Just saw this. Mayhew is a quality brand. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mayhew-Lady-foot-Pry-Bar-Set-3-Piece-60150/203761860

I may pick up the Mayhew kit in the future, but as they are not sold in stores, its not something I can have shipped and arrive before 6am tomorrow morning. But it does look like a nice kit to have. The snap-on setup sure is pricey though! :shock:

Last edited:

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
FYI... We DO drop the tank EVERY TIME we install this kit. EVERY TIME.

Good Luck!

Drew, I just saw your post, Thank you for clearing this up! I'll expect to do this then, do you guys usually use a strap to keep the tank in place and just remove the skid or?

EDIT: Do I need to remove the rear driveshaft to get the tank out from under the jeep?

Yep, these are the ones I was talking about.

The tank is easy to drop out. Make sure you unsnap the lines correctly. Also, cover them up so no sparks get to the lines. Good luck!!!!

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
First problem: undo the "red clip" fuel line, got the clip out, but can't get the line to seperate

dchew

Caught the Bug
Each damn clip is different too. Get one figured out and the next is a new and interesting challenge.

There are something like 9 connections to the tank in three different locations. Front, middle and back.

Top Bottom