How to move JK on Budget rental trailer

GraniteCrystal

We moved to Colorado a month ago. The plan was to load up a 16' moving truck and tow the Jeep behind on a trailer, also from the rental company. We ran into trouble when the straps that are supposed to fit over the tires to secure the vehicle were just a little too short. I'm running BFG KO2 31-32" tires. Here is the solution I came up with to secure it down for the 800 mile trek to Colorado.

The first thing I did was use the strap on the trailer in a different method. I threaded it through the wheel, then clamped it down. This alone held everything surprisingly firm.

IMG_20151031_144928.jpg

IMG_20151031_144936.jpg

Then, just to be on the safe side, I put two tie downs on it as well: one wrapped around the front axle and one wrapped around the rear axle. Lastly, I put the chains that come attached to the trailer on as well, just in case all else failed (highly unlikely).

IMG_20151031_144908.jpg

And here is the final version, all hooked up.

IMG_20151031_145308.jpg

Made it all the way to Colorado, no problems. Tightened everything down a bit more after the first hundred miles or so, but that was it. Hope this helps others who think they're screwed when the straps don't fit the tires!

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Reason why those tires are too big for the straps. Per U-haul and Penske you can run a Sport with the factory 16" wheels then the straps would have fit. I am running same tires as you and just bought a set of used 225/75/16 stock tires and wheels. Straps will fit then. Had to take off my 255's which fucking sucks, but feel better about the straps fittings. We are making the move to Colorado as well and leaving in a few days doing the same thing as you. Glad you made it safely. Headed towards Pueblo ourselves.:beer:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I also bought some ratchet straps like you and will install just in case. How was the drive? I have never hauled anything before. Oklahoma? Man I wish I was closer I am coming from NC.

GraniteCrystal

I also bought some ratchet straps like you and will install just in case. How was the drive? I have never hauled anything before. Oklahoma? Man I wish I was closer I am coming from NC.

Yeah, I looked into putting on some smaller tires, but with the stock 17" wheels, Discount Tire said I already had on the smallest tire they could safely put on there.

Drive was good. It's been snowy the past week or so though in Denver, so your drive will be a bit more difficult than mine was a month ago. Drove to Winter Park today and it was a little hairy in parts. I'd give yourself plenty of time, and prepare for the passes. With the trailer on the back, it was too easy to let that thing get flying down the backside of the pass and the steering wheel started shaking like crazy when I'd try to apply the brakes. Just take it nice and slow. Good luck.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Yeah, I looked into putting on some smaller tires, but with the stock 17" wheels, Discount Tire said I already had on the smallest tire they could safely put on there.

Drive was good. It's been snowy the past week or so though in Denver, so your drive will be a bit more difficult than mine was a month ago. Drove to Winter Park today and it was a little hairy in parts. I'd give yourself plenty of time, and prepare for the passes. With the trailer on the back, it was too easy to let that thing get flying down the backside of the pass and the steering wheel started shaking like crazy when I'd try to apply the brakes. Just take it nice and slow. Good luck.

I am hoping to see little of the white stuff on our trip. Thanks!

RageKage

I have moved twice with my '74 CJ on just a tow dolly. Once from California to Kansas and then Kansas back to California. I have 33" mickey thompsons on it and all I did was deflate the tires. Yea it's a pain but saves from having to buy extra stuff. As long as the tires are good you won't have to worry about splitting. My first trip I had 7 year old BFG's and they split from being deflated. so I had to get new tires. Good luck and safe travels

Top Bottom