Getting ready to change the oil.

1449380908832.jpg
Removing the oil filter.

1449380958774.jpg
Out with the old.

1449380996792.jpg
Installing the new oil filter.

1449381048765.jpg
Torquing the filter housing to 18 ft lbs.

1449381122098.jpg
Removing the drain bolt.

1449381168392.jpg
Drain the oil.

1449381203581.jpg
Torquing the drain bolt to 20 ft lbs.

1449381246626.jpg
Adding 6 qts of oil.

Done!

Last edited:

07streetbobrider

Can't wait to do my oil changes. I have one more free oil change from dealer. That's a trip where the oil filter is and what it looks like. Thought it was like every other vehicle I've done before.

JeepFan

Hooked
Can't wait to do my oil changes. I have one more free oil change from dealer. That's a trip where the oil filter is and what it looks like. Thought it was like every other vehicle I've done before.

This is the first vehicle I've owned with an oil filter cartridge as opposed to a spin on filter. The housing is made of flimsy plastic and to be honest, I hope it lasts. I bet it would be real easy to break if over tightened. It has a sealing O ring above the threads of the housing so it really doesn't need to be very tight. The torque spec is 18 ft lbs so if you decide to do your own oil changes, I recommend you invest in a torque wrench.

Maybe when you do your first oil change, post up some pics in this thread. Would be great if you could share your experience. :yup:

RageKage

Just a side note to the DIYer make sure you have either cracked or removed the canister filter (what the top side oil filter is called) before you remove the oil pan plug. If you leave it tightened or do it after you won't get all or as much as you can of the old oil out and the old oil will sit in the canister case so you'll contaminate the new filter. I do just about any maintenance on my jeep myself and I highly recommend it as you won't have to pay ridiculous labor fees.

AirborneJK

Also make sure you always replace the gasket on the canister with the new one that comes with the filter. Last thing you want is for it to seize up or to get double gasket and shoot oil all over the place

JeepFan

Hooked
Just a side note to the DIYer make sure you have either cracked or removed the canister filter (what the top side oil filter is called) before you remove the oil pan plug. If you leave it tightened or do it after you won't get all or as much as you can of the old oil out and the old oil will sit in the canister case so you'll contaminate the new filter. I do just about any maintenance on my jeep myself and I highly recommend it as you won't have to pay ridiculous labor fees.

Also make sure you always replace the gasket on the canister with the new one that comes with the filter. Last thing you want is for it to seize up or to get double gasket and shoot oil all over the place

Two great tips! :thumb: Thanks!

Top Bottom