Pa jeep build, what to do?

Jknewbi

Hi all, starting to plan my build. The obstacle I have is living in Pa, the laws are tuff. I've seen some ridiculous trucks running around that I know are not legal but I really don't want to push it too far and get pulled over.

What my goal is:

3 or 4" lift (probably an EVO enforcer at least to start)
37" tires with bead lockers
The list can go on and on from here but this is the core of the build.

My obstacles:

1) Tire tread my not stick out beyond the fender. Fender flares are limited to 3". I'm not sure is this is beyond the existing fenders that jeeps have or if that is past the body of the jeep.

2) Bumper height:

Pennsylvania law restricts a vehicle's maximum bumper height according to the vehicle's GVWR.
Vehicle GVWR
Max. Bumper Height
Cars & SUVs. Front: 22 inches | Rear: 22 inches
Under 5,001 Front: 24 inches | Rear: 26 inches
5,001 to 7,000 Front: 27 inches | Rear: 29 inches
7,001 to 9,000 Front: 28 inches | Rear: 30 inches
9,001 to 11,000. Front: 30 inches | Rear: 30 inches

The rest is pretty easy to comply to but these 2 are going to be tuff. My jeep is already at 21" to the bottom of the frame front and rear so really any lift is going to be illegal since they are licensed as a car right?

What do other guys do to get around this?

Jknewbi

Oh and I already checked with the wife, moving so that I can lift my jeep is out....[emoji15][emoji107][emoji38]

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=29947

Here is just one of the many WALers build threads that also live in PA.

If anything, you can get the ATX Chamber Pro IIs that have a backspacing of 4" to keep the tires tucked under your fenders more.

You can fit 37s with 3" of lift and some trimming. I'd recommend that to keep from running into the bumper height laws.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hi all, starting to plan my build. The obstacle I have is living in Pa, the laws are tuff. I've seen some ridiculous trucks running around that I know are not legal but I really don't want to push it too far and get pulled over.

What my goal is:

3 or 4" lift (probably an EVO enforcer at least to start)
37" tires with bead lockers
The list can go on and on from here but this is the core of the build.

My obstacles:

1) Tire tread my not stick out beyond the fender. Fender flares are limited to 3". I'm not sure is this is beyond the existing fenders that jeeps have or if that is past the body of the jeep.

2) Bumper height:

Pennsylvania law restricts a vehicle's maximum bumper height according to the vehicle's GVWR.
Vehicle GVWR
Max. Bumper Height
Cars & SUVs. Front: 22 inches | Rear: 22 inches
Under 5,001 Front: 24 inches | Rear: 26 inches
5,001 to 7,000 Front: 27 inches | Rear: 29 inches
7,001 to 9,000 Front: 28 inches | Rear: 30 inches
9,001 to 11,000. Front: 30 inches | Rear: 30 inches

The rest is pretty easy to comply to but these 2 are going to be tuff. My jeep is already at 21" to the bottom of the frame front and rear so really any lift is going to be illegal since they are licensed as a car right?

What do other guys do to get around this?

They don't care about bumper height much at all. The thing that I have seen that inspection cares about is tire width. That being said Hinrich and I both stick out way more than 3" and haven't had issues with inspections.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449410340.880918.jpg .
This is the best pic I have on my phone of how both are rigs sit. We are both on Evo bolt on coilovers. I sit around 4" of lift and he is closer to 3.5". I'm on 35's with ATX chamber pro II (4" backspacing) and he has 37's on ATX slabs (3.5" backspacing).

If you go 3" or 4" enforcer with either one of these Bead lock wheels and stick with a 12.5" tire I think you will be fine.

Jknewbi

They don't care about bumper height much at all. The thing that I have seen that inspection cares about is tire width. That being said Hinrich and I both stick out way more than 3" and haven't had issues with inspections.
View attachment 176367 .
This is the best pic I have on my phone of how both are rigs sit. We are both on Evo bolt on coilovers. I sit around 4" of lift and he is closer to 3.5". I'm on 35's with ATX chamber pro II (4" backspacing) and he has 37's on ATX slabs (3.5" backspacing).

If you go 3" or 4" enforcer with either one of these Bead lock wheels and stick with a 12.5" tire I think you will be fine.

Awesome, thanks! Hinrich's build thread is going to be very helpful. I've been reading a lot about the Pa lift laws and it seems to come down to the cop that sees you. But if you guys are getting away with it without trouble, I guess it's worth a shot... What's the worst thing that can happen? I put stockers on and go to the inspection station? Get a ticket? Hopefully not...

Ddays

Hooked
You're stressing too much. I have never talked to another Jeep or pickup owner that has ever been hassled by the police over a lifted vehicle. The GMC dealerships are even selling that Altitude edition pickup and I'd be willing to bet those dont comply with the bumper height requirement.

Hell I was in an accident a couple months ago and there were at least 8 officers on the scene. No one of them hassled me or even so much as mentioned anything about my Jeep being illegal. Actually they all commented that it sucked that is was so damaged. I was running doorless at the time and nothing was mentioned about that either. Additionally, my nephew is an officer and I asked him about this. He said they have bigger issues to deal with than pulling someone over and measuring their fenders and bumpers. He did say that if they pulled you over for something else and you were being a real dick, well, then that's when they start looking for things like bumpers and fenders.

I'm running a 3.5" lift with 37's and Bushwacker flares. My tires stick out about 3 inches past the flares. As Cozdude mentioned, getting the inspection is key. If you have the sticker you won't get hassled. Do you have a good garage you take your vehicle to for inspections? Chances are if you make good with that guy he'll sticker you and not even mention anything. Taking to a dealership could raise the flag. I know some of them have those lifetime inspections like mine do but I stay away from that.

I just went out and took these: Here's how mine looks

7D_10813.JPG

7D_10811.jpg

7D_10814.jpg

Go for it. It's well worth it!

Last edited:

Phljeeper

I have had 4 lifted Jeeps since living in PA (philly burbs) and have never had an issue. My tires on my TJ were way past the fenders and they didn't seem to have an issue with inspections. I have never even thought about bumper height but have had 4 different bumpers on my past jeeps and never an issue. Maybe I have been lucky but haven't seen PA to be a challenge with lifted Jeeps.

Ddays

Hooked
Forgot to mention, I am not even running a rear bumper at the moment. Like the look so much that I ordered the EVO fascia & D-ring parts. I think Cozdude & Hinrichs are running that as well?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Awesome, thanks! Hinrich's build thread is going to be very helpful. I've been reading a lot about the Pa lift laws and it seems to come down to the cop that sees you. But if you guys are getting away with it without trouble, I guess it's worth a shot... What's the worst thing that can happen? I put stockers on and go to the inspection station? Get a ticket? Hopefully not...

It's not the police you need to worry about its the inspection places you need to worry about. I can't tell you how many times I have had cops behind me and not do a thing. Build a good strong relationship with your dealership or a local shop that does inspections. When the time comes they will help you out even if your slightly illegal.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
When I live back east in PA and NY I never had any issues either. I had my '08 JKU Rubi then on 3" of lift and 37s with Bushwacker flat fender flares. Like others have mentioned, a good relationship with a dealership of local state inspection authorized shop is the key.

Jknewbi

Thank you all very much for the info, it's very much appreciate. I think I can get the inspection done through a shop I know even if I have to show up with the stock tires and rims. And as far as how my manors are with the police, I have always been very respectful to them, I don't envy the job they do which is why I think I stress about this stuff. I've had a few tickets over the years and gotten out of many more just by being polite and honest, but the tickets I got I very much deserved because I had a lead foot [emoji12].... The jeep actually has helped cure that strangely enough.

Cozdude, your build thread is awesome as well! Your making me think about just going right to coilovers. [emoji106] They look so sweet!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thank you all very much for the info, it's very much appreciate. I think I can get the inspection done through a shop I know even if I have to show up with the stock tires and rims. And as far as how my manors are with the police, I have always been very respectful to them, I don't envy the job they do which is why I think I stress about this stuff. I've had a few tickets over the years and gotten out of many more just by being polite and honest, but the tickets I got I very much deserved because I had a lead foot [emoji12].... The jeep actually has helped cure that strangely enough.

Cozdude, your build thread is awesome as well! Your making me think about just going right to coilovers. [emoji106] They look so sweet!

Lol thanks. To be honest as much as I love my coilovers they are far from needed out here with the wheeling we have. I would suggest you stick with you plan of the enforcer lift and pair it with the Kings 2.5 or a set of rancho shocks

Jern26

At least where I'm at in PA, the bumper height enforcement is non existant. I've never heard of anyone catching trouble for it. Tire width on the other hand, I've failed inspections on an old cherokee I had, kind of depends on who's inspecting it! Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission, right? 😁

thereich

I'm in PA as well and nobody hassles me. I think the biggest thing that catches the LEO's eyes is a plastered in mud vehicles and obnoxious driving.

Top Bottom