Difference between JK and JKU springs?

Sonickev

I all, I've got a 2010 sahara JK. I've added a 2" spacer lift for now, but see that some guys are talking about replacing my std springs, with those out of a JKU Runicon. Will that make a difference? Any advice will help a lot.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, Rubicon springs from an Unlimited will give a 2-door JK a slightly taller stance. Some will tell you that you'll get 2" out of them but, after settling, you'll maybe get about an inch. You do need to know that if you do this, you will put more angle on your factory rear driveshaft and that will cause it to fail prematurely.

Jchet729

Yes, Rubicon springs from an Unlimited will give a 2-door JK a slightly taller stance. Some will tell you that you'll get 2" out of them but, after settling, you'll maybe get about an inch. You do need to know that if you do this, you will put more angle on your factory rear driveshaft and that will cause it to fail prematurely.

This will happen with any lift on a JK then? Therefore a good idea to just to include new shafts into any lift?

NAUJK

Just yesterday I replaced my stock X springs with JKU Rubicon springs I really like the difference it looks good. So far it helped with the sag of the front end with the winch. I also have a RC 2.5 Budget boost.

I dont have the greatest pictures of it but here are some for comparison.

Here is my rig with the stock X springs
DSC01321.jpg

Here is my rig this morning with the new JKUR springs
20121216_095443.jpg

Heres a picture when we were putting on the springs. we had just replaced the front. Can see a difference, or at least I can because in this picture the front is sitting higher than before, the front rake it used to have drove me up a wall so this is a big difference.
20121215_155121.jpg

RockyJk

Here's mine 2bds spacer and 18/59 springs on 35" hankook mts

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121216_101832.png
    ForumRunner_20121216_101832.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 217

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Next to one that had same stance as mine before I added Rubi 18/59 springs, shocks, wheels and tires, and spacers.

after 1.jpg

after 2.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
This will happen with any lift on a JK then? Therefore a good idea to just to include new shafts into any lift?

On a 2-Door, yes. Anything more than about 2.5" of lift and you should plan on replacing your rear drive shaft with a U-joint style one. You will also need adjustable rear upper control arms as they will allow you to set your pinion. This is NECESSARY step.

P1TBU11

On a 2-Door, yes. Anything more than about 2.5" of lift and you should plan on replacing your rear drive shaft with a U-joint style one. You will also need adjustable rear upper control arms as they will allow you to set your pinion. This is NECESSARY step.

In the previous post you mentioned that guys claimed 2" but after settling you'd only expect 1". So does this still apply?

My 12 JK is on 14/56s and I have a set of 18/59s from a 13 JKUR that I plan to install.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
In the previous post you mentioned that guys claimed 2" but after settling you'd only expect 1". So does this still apply?

My 12 JK is on 14/56s and I have a set of 18/59s from a 13 JKUR that I plan to install.

Mine had 14/55 and went to 18/59's. I now have a heavy front bumper with winch. Although, I also have the TF leveling kit with 2 1" pucks in front and 1" in rear.
ForumRunner_20141231_230643.png

IMG_20140207_080548.jpg

ForumRunner_20141118_045530.jpg

P1TBU11

How does the ride change?

My main concern at the moment is whether or not I need a drive shaft or rear upper control arms.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I do not hard wheel. Service and logging roads. Spacers do not normally change ride. The springs made for a stiffer ride and the Rubi shock helped buffer it compared to the Sport shocks. I am happy with ride. No problems at all. I have had this set up for many miles. I have about 74,000 miles on it. Guessing, I have had them on for at LEAST 40,000 miles. I am looking to upgrade on my tires now. Possibly a 285/75/17 or 295/70/17.

P1TBU11

I pretty much ride trails and logging roads. I just put on a set of Rubicon take off wheels/tires. What did you go with?

Top Bottom