New Old Jeeps? Would You Buy One??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I just read an interesting article MSN Autos and while it was more about classic hot rods than anything, I can't see any reason why it couldn't apply to Jeeps as well. Apparently, there was a piece of new legislation that President Obama just signed into law and in it, there is a provision that will allow "low volume car manufacturers" to produce as many as 325 replica vehicles for customers across the country. In other words, a manufacturer could start building something like an old Willys and sell it as a new! The only real catch is that it has to have a current motor in it that meets current EPA emissions standards.

New Legislation Could Make Way For Replica Mustang Sales
Mark Houlahan, TEN

History was made recently for manufacturers of kit/replica products to allow low-volume “turn-key” production of their products to consumers. No longer would a customer have the only choice of building their replica at home or having a local dealer install the drivetrain to make the vehicle roadworthy. Now, thanks to H.R. 22, the “Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act,” you can now order a turn-key vehicle fully legal and ready to roll on America’s highways. President Obama signed into law the legislation that will permit low volume car manufacturers to produce turn-key replica vehicles for customers nationwide.

The SEMA-supported provision was part of a larger, highway construction bill that was introduced by Rep. Markwayne Mullin (R-OK) and Rep. Gene Green (D-TX) in June 2015; legislation that SEMA has pursued since 2011. It received strong bi-partisan support and was inserted into the highway bill. “With this new law, Congress has demonstrated that it understands the importance of enabling U.S. companies to produce classic-themed vehicles that are virtually impossible to build under the current one-size-fits-all regulatory framework,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “This program will create auto sector jobs and meet consumer demand for cars that help preserve our American heritage.”

The low volume provision allows small automakers to construct up to 325 such replica cars a year, subject to federal regulatory oversight. Replica cars resemble production vehicles manufactured at least 25 years ago, which would include first generation classic Mustangs, even the majority of the Fox Mustang era for that matter. The U.S. currently has just one system for regulating automobiles, which was established in the 1960s and designed for companies that mass-produce millions of vehicles. The law recognizes the unique challenges faced by companies that produce a small number of custom cars.

The measure establishes a separate regulatory structure within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for replica car manufacturers. The companies are required to register with NHTSA and EPA and submit annual reports on the vehicles they produce. The vehicles are required to meet current model year emissions standards, although companies are permitted to install engines from other EPA-certified vehicles to help achieve that requirement.

“This law gives enthusiasts the opportunity to buy turn-key replica cars while preserving their option to build one from a kit,” said SEMA Chairman of the Board Doug Evans. “It recognizes the unique circumstances associated with limited production replica vehicles, such as the 1932 Roadster and 1965 Cobra, which are primarily used in exhibitions, parades and occasional transportation. With enactment of this new law, kit car companies and SEMA member companies that supply equipment and components can take advantage of this unique opportunity.”

H.R. 22, the “Fixing America’s Surface Transportation Act”
SEC. 24405- Treatment of Low-Volume Manufacturers

Read more about all this here:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...lica-mustang-sales/ar-AAg8h96?ocid=spartanntp

So, what do you all think about the possibility of something like this happening? I mean, companies like Omix-Ada already have just about everything you could possibly need to build an old Willys from scratch as it is. All you would need is a manufacturer to take the parts, throw in an engine and put it up for sale :crazyeyes:

Not for me. There will definitely be a market for it though. Many are into new old things. Myself I like old things to be genuine and traditional.

Something totally sacrilegious about old looking iron powered by a computer laden, fuel injected, ultra plasticky trash all for the sake of having something that looks old.

WJCO

Meme King
I think any time Obama passes a law, I'm getting screwed somehow no matter how cool it sounds. Otherwise sounds like a cool idea.

Scoop315

Caught the Bug
im a traditionalist when it comes to restoring classic cars to as close to stock as possible. Edit: But, I'm not strictly for stock vehicles, obviously, as I wantto take my own Jeep far away from stock. I love a well done job on altered cars.

But, this is an idea I could get behind, because people could get the old looks and specs of aN older car or Jeep, and get the power, reliability, gas mileage and emissions standards of today's engines, and maybe see fewer rare models of cars and Jeeps altered far away from stock.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
If we're taking orders I sure wouldn't mind a Willys Wagon with a 6.2 LS engine. Perfect family suv for me :)

SilverBack

I think it is an awesome idea! I love to restore to original as it holds true to the period. I also love to modify as it makes it mine.

Whether it's an old design being updated or a new design being individualized with some old school mods its all great. This is what makes the American automotive history so great. I say do it!!!!
Just my 2 cents.

herb04

I always to take a first gen mustang and restomod it. but for jeeps I would leave it as original as possible

Grubbicon

I think if I was going to get something older like that I wouldn't want the updated electronics, but thats just me.

I think any time Obama passes a law, I'm getting screwed somehow no matter how cool it sounds.
Not gonna lie that made me laugh my ass off. Sounds so true

M38A1Driver

I'm all for keeping history alive. Personally, I'm not a fan of replica vehicles. When it comes to Jeeps, there is plenty of "Old Iron" still around and parts etc. For the price of what one of the replica Jeeps would presumably cost you could buy and restore an original. And have the satisfaction of keeping a piece of history alive in it's original form. :yup:

Top Bottom