Power steering fluid help!

cobd910

Hey had a question. So, my power steering resavoir was bone dry and I was getting a terrible whining noise when starting my jeep and when I would turn the wheel. I know the recommended fluid is ATF +4 but I could not find any where I'm located. I did find Mobil ATF d/m. I purchased it and filled her up, the whining noise went away instantly and the jeep has been doing just fine. But I'm curious if this is gonna cause any issues down the road. And input would be super helpful! Thanks!

Skid_Kid

Hey had a question. So, my power steering resavoir was bone dry and I was getting a terrible whining noise when starting my jeep and when I would turn the wheel. I know the recommended fluid is ATF +4 but I could not find any where I'm located. I did find Mobil ATF d/m. I purchased it and filled her up, the whining noise went away instantly and the jeep has been doing just fine. But I'm curious if this is gonna cause any issues down the road. And input would be super helpful! Thanks!

I think you will be fine. They are both a synthetic automatic transmission fluid, with the same goals in performance quality. Can I ask why it was bone dry?

cobd910

Im not entirely sure to be honest. I was checking for leaks in the lines and couldn't find any what so ever. I'm guessing the dealership I picked it up from put a very insufficient amount in the resavoir. That's just my guess though, I'm gonna be checking it constantly to see if I can find anything.

WJCO

Meme King
My gut feeling is that you should be fine, but I would consult your dealer's parts dept just to be safe. Maybe take the container that you bought in with you and compare it to the other container just to make sure everything jives.

Top Bottom