37 Nitto TG and Hutchinson Beadlocks - Axel requirements

dchew

Caught the Bug
This was my plan: I'm getting a 2013 JKUR (manual T) and will begin working on it almost immediately. Probably wheeling 1/mo and it will be my DD. Lift will be the EVO bolt-on coil over. The wheels are Hutchinson Beadlocks, and I was planning on the 37" Nitto TGs. However, TGs are ~82 lbs, and I think the Hutchinsons are 55 lbs. So 137 lbs total! I was just going to gusset the Dana 44 (EVO C's), but other than a Reel 1350 in the front that is it for driveline. Am I crazy? I cannot afford Dynatrac 60's for a while, so if this is doomed then I should re-think wheels and tires.

Dave

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm guessing there are a lot more jeeps out there not running 60s than there are running them. :idontknow:

dchew

Caught the Bug
:yup:
Good point. I suppose the lightest W/T combination in a 37 would be what, 100 lbs?

And no I cannot spell Axle.
How to spot a noob...

Last edited:

biggy

My 37" toyos and rims come in at about 130lb. I've put about 20000 miles on road and a lot of wheeling trips in the rocks. I have gussets ,sleeves and chromo shafts. No issues so far and even the ball joints are still good .

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry so much about the weight but, I would try to include some front chromo shafts with full circle clips. We're running 37" Trail Grapplers on ATX Slabs and couldn't make it past the summer before blowing a factory driver side front shaft. Of course, we totally knew this would happen and just wanted to see how long we could push it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't worry so much about the weight but, I would try to include some front chromo shafts with full circle clips. We're running 37" Trail Grapplers on ATX Slabs and couldn't make it past the summer before blowing a factory driver side front shaft. Of course, we totally knew this would happen and just wanted to see how long we could push it.

Hey Eddie,

Is there a write up on how to replace an axle shaft? I quickly looked on project-jk but didn't see one.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie,

Is there a write up on how to replace an axle shaft? I quickly looked on project-jk but didn't see one.

Hmmm, no, but I can probably put one together pretty quick with pics that I have. Let me see what I can do.

dchew

Caught the Bug
Yes that would be very much appreciated! And thank you for the feedback.

Ciao,
Dave

dchew

Caught the Bug
Well, there is no turning back now!
:)

Attachments

• 2012-12-18-18.41.45.jpg
    2012-12-18-18.41.45.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 2012-12-18-18.42.34.jpg
    2012-12-18-18.42.34.jpg