CB installation issue. Stereo shuts off, dash lights up.

JeepPilot

Installed a uniden bearcat 980. I've got a poison Spyder swing away tire carrier that my antenna mounts to. I used a 102" whip antenna with terraflex antenna mount, including the nylon washer on top. New coax cable also. Radio passes all tests, swr tuned. Every time I key up my mic, my stereo shuts off and my entire dash lights up. How do I fix this??

kpig

i had the same thing happen when installing my Cobra CB and antenna mounted on tailgate. i ran the antenna cable different ways and even ran a ground strap to the chassis tub. i finally purchased another mount for the antenna on the body tub behind the stock license plate location. after removing the paint behind the body for a good ground and running the cable on the driver side, no more problems. i really don't know why the problem exists, but i hope this helps you.

WarriorJeep

As don't know the specifics of your install, I can only make a couple of assumptions and suggestions

I assume this install was done in the 2013 JK listed in your profile
Your JK has the new and improved CANBus system. Read as: never ever ever tap into power or ground on your existing wiring harness

First, if you are pulling power direct from the battery, an sPod, or something similar than all things point to ground fault. If you are pulling power from the harness see above. Cigarette lighter plugs are not friendly either for CB use.

Best practice for any transceiver install is to make sure the entire system is grounded very well. A braided copper ground strap at the antenna mount connected to a clean and unpainted frame ground is preferred. Power ground to negative battery terminal also your best bet.

Another thing is that you mentioned using a 102 whip. These are outstanding antennas until you tie them down. One must remember that a CB radio aka 11 meter, is an HF radio. HF radios (anything that runs 3 to 30Mhz) can play hell on automotive electronic/electrical systems.

The radio wave emanating or propagating from the antenna looks like this when its vertical
L-over2-rad-pat-per.jpg

When bent over and tied down that donut of radio waves is now pointing into your jeep and up in the sky, but I digress

Good grounding and proper power source should solve the problem.

Quite frankly I wish I could run a 102 whip on mine but they aren't allowed most places due to the hazard they pose to people outside the vehicle e.g. spotters getting hit with them. They are an extremely efficient antenna.

JeepPilot

Thanks so much for the responses.
Yes it only happens when I key the mic with the antenna on. With it off, it doesn't do it. Last time I keyed up, I had a message pop on the dash saying "no bus."

I ran the power direct to the battery as well as the ground. I thought it was a ground issue, so I grounded the radio to the tub. Still the same issue.

The antenna is not tied down. It's straight up and down. Sounds like I need to ground the antenna also.

Top Bottom