JK Insulation & Soundproofing, Hard Top Interior Paint

Feel like getting my hands into a little project for the holidays.
I know the Jeep is what it is in terms of comfort.
But was just wondering if anyone has any experience with lining the tub with soundproof / heat insulating padding?

Also I'm keen to put on my hardtop and before I do I'd like to paint the interior black. Anyone have experience with this?

And is it worth getting something like hothead headliners? Or is it possible to replicate similarly yourself? Much easier for me than importing from USA as with exchange rate, shipping and duties we pay over double any price you guys have off the shelf.

Any advice to "comfortise" my JK interior will be appreciated.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
A few guys who are not on the forum anymore have painted the inside of their hardtops and I think it looks much better in black than the factory white. I think they just cleaned it well, and used a plastic spray paint but I am not 100% sure anymore as it was 2 years ago or so I talked to them about it.

dcm80401

I have done 4, the best results for me was to clean the surface with denatured alcohol. Then I used Rustoleum Trim and Bumper paint. Do not use Plastic Dip.

WarriorJeep

But was just wondering if anyone has any experience with lining the tub with soundproof / heat insulating padding?

As for sound proofing there are several different ways to go. I've tried a few of them with mixed results.

Dynamat - worked nicely, very expensive - about $500

Off brand sound deadening rolled material foil backed - worked as well as Dynamat, half the price - cost approx. $250

And now for my new favorite solution...wait for it..LineX! I stripped the interior (floor doors etc) ang had the boys at LineX shoot it. Cost me $175 and IMHO it works better than anything else. Add to this a Hothead kit and your set.

utiadam

LOSER
As mentioned earlier my build thread shows dynamat as well as my diy headliner. I also painted the inside of the hardtop with rustoleum bedliner. Be careful with knockoff dynamat because they aren't necessarily the same materials. Dynamat is rubber based and a lot of the knockoffs are asphalt based which can't handle heat. The bottom of my hood has had dynamat for almost 3 years and it's still stuck on there. That's with Phoenix, AZ summers and engine temps.

WarriorJeep

As utiadam said, the knock off stuff can be ok or real bad. I used some non-dynamat on my 85 Bronco and it was an epic fail. Had to pull it all out due to the tar smell after 4 weeks.
I have used some that was just as good as dynamat though and saved me a lot of $$

utiadam

LOSER
There is a company out of Tucson, Az called Second Skin i think that has pretty good reviews. It's quite a bit cheaper than dynamat and you can buy in bulk.

Top Bottom