Soedog's 2016 Rubi Hard Rock Build

soedog

So I picked up a Rubi Hard Rock in Billet on 10/28/15 after trading in my 12" JK Sport which I stripped most of the mods off of. Part of the negotiation deal I made with the wife.
Didn't take long to start the new build as I was recycling some of the used stuff along with new parts purchased for the new rig.
Here she is bone stock and then after swapping out the weak stock headlights for heated Trucklites removed from my 12'. Also mounted the Mopar hoop I picked up for the 10a bumper and added Drake Grille inserts in matte black.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449972180.037732.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449972217.571818.jpg
Next new add was a Rubicon Express 2.5" Spacer Lift and recycled the Teraflex HD Tire Carrier so I will be all set when I put my Duratrac 35's back on in the spring.I'm also reusing the Teraflex license plate relocation kit taken off my old rig. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449973168.815281.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449973311.236203.jpg
The yellow stock Foglight bulbs were making me nuts when compared to the Trucklites so I picked up a cheap set of LED bulbs for $22.Its been about a month now and no issues so far and they match the color and output of the Trucklites really well.The stock fog is on the left in case you couldn't tell HaHa. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449973846.235865.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449973864.036522.jpg
Next recycle was adding the storage box I built for my 12'.Really need the extra storage as Jeep in all their wisdom decided one of the few storage spaces in the floor was a great place to put the Sub for the Alpine system.That said I had to cut a hole in my cargo mat in order not to block the the Sub. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1449974360.008531.jpg
That's it for now but more mods to follow soon!

Last edited:

soedog

Thanks Speedy yeah I like the 10a bumpers except I didn't realize you need to buy a plate if your adding a winch and they aren't cheap.Mopar winch plate kit runs $450 and Maximus 3 is just over $200 so looks like I will be going with the Maximus.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Yep, I went with the Maximus and would recommend it. Simple install and I like the look of a winch inside the bumper. I'm with ya on the sub location. Would've been nice to have that storage area especially in a two door. Keep us updated.

GraniteCrystal

I've looked at swapping out bulbs to LEDs as well. Don't have the money for doing a full headlight replacement but swapping bulbs seems like a great way to get better than stock performance and appearance for little money. Some people weren't sure if the LEDs would work OK in the stock housing though...something to do with orientation of the bulb or something. So no issues doing this with the fogs? Ever done with headlights?

Good looking Jeep!

soedog

I did have to file off one of the alignment tabs on the bulb. I hear that the stock fog bulbs are a proprietary design and there is no direct replacement LED fog bulb in the aftermarket although others have gotten lucky and the bulbs snapped right in the housing with no modification. H3 bulbs are supposed to be the closest match to the stock housing and that's what I have but still had to file off one tab.
Not familiar with Headlight bulbs but see plenty of them available.

soedog

Latest adds are a 20" LED bar added to the 10a bumper wanted something low profile and real happy with the look. 4" Cubes with "A" mounts went on at the same time. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450485931.511223.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486017.614221.jpg

Daystar pillar pod with OTRATTW Green & Amber switches added to match the interior lighting.By the way the guys at OTRATTW are great to deal with and super helpful.Refreshing to deal with a business that really seems to understand the meaning of customer service. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486604.575393.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486634.490755.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486669.973324.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486934.240849.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486669.973324.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450486669.973324.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 276

Jknewbi

Nice build! I just bought a 16 nearly the same as your but 4door. Been toiling over keeping the bumpers myself because by the time you add on everything that you can get from aftermarket bumpers it's about the same cost... I like the look a lot but I also like the EVO bumpers which seem to be more rugged than the factory ones. Such first world decisions lol...

Sub location is silly isn't it? I'm old enough now where a thumping bass isn't really needed so maybe I'll turn mine back into storage.

soldier32mp

I've been looking at getting that bumper..simple and you can convert it to a stubby. .how's the overall construction of it?

soedog

Nice build! I just bought a 16 nearly the same as your but 4door. Been toiling over keeping the bumpers myself because by the time you add on everything that you can get from aftermarket bumpers it's about the same cost... I like the look a lot but I also like the EVO bumpers which seem to be more rugged than the factory ones. Such first world decisions lol...

Sub location is silly isn't it? I'm old enough now where a thumping bass isn't really needed so maybe I'll turn mine back into storage.

Yeah like the 10a bumpers but your right it's all extras the hoop and winch plate kit alone could of paid for a nice aftermarket bumper.By the way I'm a big fan of the LOD line of bumpers. I have a set of LOD rock sliders I took off my 12" and will be replacing the stock rock rails in the spring.

soedog

I've been looking at getting that bumper..simple and you can convert it to a stubby. .how's the overall construction of it?

If you do a lot of wheeling especially rock crawling it's probably not your best bet 1/8" thick construction vs. 3/16" for most aftermarket bumpers. The trade off I guess would be weight savings. It's a nice clean look and construction but when adding the Maximus 3 winch plate kit I had to relocate (drill) an additional hole to accommodate my fairlead which I couldn't understand. Bolt hole spacing of all fairleads are standard but the stock hole locations of the 10a bumper were nowhere close to matching up to the fairlead. Head scratcher?

soldier32mp

Not too much crawling. ..yet haha I know I'm leaning towards aluminum over still ..Obviously the weight.. I'm curious to see how these Teraflex 3" coils hold up first ..as for your fairlead I think most other suppliers are alot more universal and will fit to specs..I guess if you factor in those are standard bumpers for the newer jk's and less aggressive offroading like most aftermarket companies

soldier32mp

Been looking at poison spyders aluminum bumpers. .pricey but got a chance to see a couple in person and the quality is superb. .Plan ordering there body mounted tire carrier

soedog

So I'm looking forward and planning my bucket list trip out to Moab in September and will be making the ride out in my rig.
Thought I needed more storage options and this Rampage Rear Cargo Rack seems like it will fit the bill.
Also picked up these bins that fit perfectly above and below and hold my tools,recovery gear and all the other misc.stuff I might need on the trail. Wife found the shelf liner at Lowes so I cut to fit and a few strips of (2) sided tape and I'm good to go.
What sold me on this rack was the fold up option for easier access to the floor,the ability to store larger items when needed and reasonably priced ($172) shipped. Simple 1 hour install in the garage. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454846713.617910.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454846755.959498.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454846777.324125.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454846802.727519.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454846835.510024.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1454846854.088262.jpg

soedog

My OCD continues to lead me down this path to organize and have the stuff I might need on the trail or otherwise easily accessible.
To that end I ordered from Springtails Solutions the JK M-PAC Rear Door Folding Tray/MOLLE Panel and have to say I'm quite impressed with the quality of this piece.
Assembly was straight forward with clear instructions and the quality of the components is top notch made in the USA stuff.
Initially I was looking at one of the lesser priced E-Bay vendors similar panel but really didn't want to drill into my brand new rigs tailgate to mount.The M-PAC uses plastic inserts placed in the existing vent holes to mount.
Also ordered their Molle bags to mount on the panel and will post up on those when I get them attached. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455287631.684046.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455287648.083283.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455287669.170059.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1455287682.166698.jpg

soedog

Who did you got through to get the rack.

Ordered direct from Springtail and dealt with Doc Frost who I believe is the owner based on the YouTube videos posted.
He is a great guy to deal with and helped me out ordering the Molle pouches. I thought I ordered the combo with the panel and pouches discounted but only ordered the panel.Contacted him and he allowed me to order just the pouches and he gave me the discounted price which he wasn't obliged to do.
Great customer service from Doc.

Jeepnoub

So I'm looking forward and planning my bucket list trip out to Moab in September and will be making the ride out in my rig.
Thought I needed more storage options and this Rampage Rear Cargo Rack seems like it will fit the bill.
Also picked up these bins that fit perfectly above and below and hold my tools,recovery gear and all the other misc.stuff I might need on the trail. Wife found the shelf liner at Lowes so I cut to fit and a few strips of (2) sided tape and I'm good to go.
What sold me on this rack was the fold up option for easier access to the floor,the ability to store larger items when needed and reasonably priced ($172) shipped. Simple 1 hour install in the garage. View attachment 186248 View attachment 186249 View attachment 186250 View attachment 186251 View attachment 186252 View attachment 186253

I meant this rack. Should've been more specific.

Top Bottom