Where is the gear oil leaking from?

DMF

I have gear oil all underneath my Jeep especially around the gas tank by the differential but I can't find where it is leaking from. At first I thought it was because it was overfilled so I went ahead and drain and refill it myself but with only 2qtz and it was full instead of the normal 2.375qtz (44 with ARB Differential). It's been a month and I'm still getting oil everywhere and each week I check the dipstick that is built inside the diff cover and each time it's still shows I'm within the normal fluid level. I've also tried the clear zip tie approach to check the level of the fluids and its right at the lowest part of the axle tube.

This is the build up I get every week. The gear oil would spray all the way up over the e-brake cable up to the tub.
1.jpg
Shortly after changing my gear oil, I crawled under the Jeep to wipe everything down. These pics below is how my axle looks today after cleaning it a month ago. The only oil I can find now is the over spray. Nothing on the axle itself to determine where it is leaking.
2.jpg
All the breather hose and air hose are clean from oil as well.
3.jpg
4.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I would clean it really good with brakeclean, so that it is 100% dry. Then drive it around for 5-10 minutes, come back and see if you have any leaks anywhere. You also could add dye to the fluid and use a uv light and glasses to find the cause. Either way, I would clean it really good with brakeclean first.

Edit: I just had a transfer case leak I've been fighting with for over a year. Brakeclean and dye was the only way I could find it.

Last edited:

DMF

Thanks WJCO for the tip. Looks like I have something to do the day after XMas.

Edit, I mean next weekend. thought this was Xmas week.

Last edited:

DMF

Thanks WJCO, that link helps a lot. Seems like I"m not the only one with this issue. Not going to trust the built in dipstick

DMF

Have you checked your transfer case fluid level?

No Moochie, I have not. I've only been looking around the rear axle area only. I'll look at it tomorrow during my lunch break and see what if I can find any leakage.

ScoobyCarolanNC

Fwiw I fought a similar issue up front. Once that stuff sprays it's everywhere. If it's been wet out it could be old oil getting "cleaned" out? You could also pull the cover & put it back on using Right Stuff 1 Minute RTV. It's different than the cheap stuff in the tube. If you have a leak in the gasket you might never find it.

dillard09

I was thinking maybe it's coming from forward of the rear axle in order for it to be dripping from the gas tank skid. I had a slight leak from my transmission from when I installed the Protek skids and I would find oil on my gas tank skid by rear axle.

DMF

Thanks guys for all the tips. I finally had time to comb through the bottom of the Jeep and it is coming out of the passenger side axle tube where it meets the pumpkin. I'm surprise I didn't catch that it was leaking from there because each time I ran my hand on the tube it always felt dry. I don't think my axle tube is bent or anything but I'm going to pull the diff cover off again this weekend and refill.

WJCO

Meme King
Thanks guys for all the tips. I finally had time to comb through the bottom of the Jeep and it is coming out of the passenger side axle tube where it meets the pumpkin. I'm surprise I didn't catch that it was leaking from there because each time I ran my hand on the tube it always felt dry. I don't think my axle tube is bent or anything but I'm going to pull the diff cover off again this weekend and refill.

As long as the tube isn't loose, that is definitely a job for Flex Seal. :D

Top Bottom