Keyless entry

MBezner

My key fob hasn't worked in about 6 months. I have been busy correcting other problems. I did replace the battery in the key but it still doesn't work. I was at a local jeep dealer looking for other parts and I asked them about reprogramming the key fob. Basically they told me they could do it but it would take a new key ($350) and a full day on their computer. Does anybody know another way to fix this?

This wouldn't be a big deal for me but when the doors are locked and I use the key to unlock it sounds the horn alarm. Any help is appreciated.

JAGS

Hooked
On all the doors? Maybe check the door harnesses. Disconnect and reconnect just to be just.

You can buy aftermarket fobs, but you need two keys with working chips in them to activate the new fobs.

MBezner

I only got one key and one fob when I bought the jeep used. Tomorrow I will try the other doors to see if the horn goes off.

MBezner

I only have one key with the jeep. Forgot they were one piece for a minute. [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51] been working too much and need to put some miles on the jk again.

Evil

I would try a local stereo/alarm shop and see what they say, worst case you buy a $99.00 special alarm and have keyless entry. Beats the hell out of the stealership and not having your ride all day.

jeeeep

Hooked
I only got one key and one fob when I bought the jeep used. Tomorrow I will try the other doors to see if the horn goes off.

Call a locksmith and see if they can reprogram your key cheaper than the dealer.

FYI, If you had one working key you could program the non-working key yourself - how long ago did you buy the Jeep? any chance of contacting the previous owner?

MBezner

Small chance of contacting the previous owner. I know who he is, never met the guy though. I messed around with it this morning and the fob doesn't work at all, but if I lock the doors from driver side and go to the passenger side to unlock the alarm won't go off. And pretty much visa versa.

james2003w

I'm on my second JKU (first one had way to many issues and became unreliable - was used). -- I ran into an issue where I could stand next to the vehicle and push the lock/unlock and it wouldn't do anything until I really hounded on the buttons. My fix? Opened up the fob re-aligned the battery connectors, cleaned the contacts for the buttons... worked like a charm.

As for programing a key, the instructions are in the owners manual. You would just have to get a blank, have it cut, and then go through the procedure to program it to your vehicle.

Otherwise, I dunno what to tell ya.

Pyro1415

Buy a remote start. $260 from Chrysler if you want. Then it comes with 2 keys and full install for $180 ish.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I'm pretty sure you need two working keys to program a new key yourself. I had to buy a second key for my 09. Cost about $150 for the key, cutting the key and programming the key. Not sure, but I don't remember them even needing the jeep to do anything but verify the key worked. Definately was not at the dealer very long.

Talk to the parts counter guy and call around.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I'm on my second JKU (first one had way to many issues and became unreliable - was used). -- I ran into an issue where I could stand next to the vehicle and push the lock/unlock and it wouldn't do anything until I really hounded on the buttons. My fix? Opened up the fob re-aligned the battery connectors, cleaned the contacts for the buttons... worked like a charm.

As for programing a key, the instructions are in the owners manual. You would just have to get a blank, have it cut, and then go through the procedure to program it to your vehicle.

Otherwise, I dunno what to tell ya.

Agree with this too. Try cleaning the contacts, making sure they are not smashed flat (still springy).

I honestly don't think an after market alarm will fix this issue.

t8er

I work at a jeep dealership. You can only program a key if you have 2 working keys. Otherwise it is dealership only. Also be careful buying keys off eBay. It's really hit or miss on them programming. We don't even take appointments to cut keys. If you need a key and it's in stock it's literally 30 minutes total. Good luck and I hope this helps

jeeeep

Hooked
I work at a jeep dealership. You can only program a key if you have 2 working keys. Otherwise it is dealership only. Also be careful buying keys off eBay. It's really hit or miss on them programming. We don't even take appointments to cut keys. If you need a key and it's in stock it's literally 30 minutes total. Good luck and I hope this helps

thanks for clearing that up, I always thought it only took one key.

Top Bottom