has anyone painted the inside of their hardtop?

livin

i've come across diy images and was just curious if anyone had this done professionally,
and if so what the cost associated with it was?

furthermore; was it done in:
bedliner
matte
gloss

& how well has it held up?

any insight along with photos would be an immense help
:icon_crazy:

Last edited:

BlackHawk08jk

My buddy used black high performance rustolium rattle can on the inside of his. I would probably do the same if I still ran a hard top.

°IIIII°

I did mine with krylon fusion matte black (it turned more glossy than expected) and added a hot head headliner. Made the interior look finished IMO
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450356997.979957.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450356923.711492.jpg

Last edited:
I did mine with krylon fusion matte black (it turned more glossy than expected) and added a hot head headliner. Made the interior look finished IMO
View attachment 178336
View attachment 178335

This looks really nice! How well has the Krylon paint held up?

I've seen where someone used a satin black rattle can spray (Brand: Spray Max 1K Trim Paint Black) that blended in nicely with the panels inside the jeep. I would like to do this eventually.

livin

this looks really, really nice.

i had considered a liner but the white still throws me off; coupling the two together is a superb idea.

how did the spray come out? i've always worried about splotches / non-uniformities but from what i can see yours came out quite nice.

would it be too much to ask for more photos?
:beer:

Last edited:

°IIIII°

I did it last spring and everything is looking like the day I painted it, long strokes to prevent splotching. I had to scrub mud off of it after jeepfest and had no issues. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450383974.246878.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450383997.470895.jpg

°IIIII°

I did take the entire top off and flip it to paint it, I did not paint the center where the headliner was going, it was almost completely covered by overspray by the time I completely put the coats on the parts that wouldn't be covered by the liner. They were kind of splotchy as you can see in the pics.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450384261.454084.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450384319.984176.jpg

Last edited:

°IIIII°

Wiped down all to be painted surfaces with acetone, not long wipes just quickly wetted as the fiberglass started getting sticky where acetone pooled. Lint free rags. One more pic

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450384662.189339.jpg

Last edited:

livin

I did it last spring and everything is looking like the day I painted it, long strokes to prevent splotching. I had to scrub mud off of it after jeepfest and had no issues.

that looks top notch, very nicely done.

did you opt for the addition of rear side windows and sound assassin strips?

Last edited:

°IIIII°

No, I did the basic hot head kit. I probably should have added the strips and I personally don't like the side panels.

japatton

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I've been thinking about doing this. I was at SEMA this year and spoke to the guys in the Lizard Skin booth. Any thoughts on this?

livin

No, I did the basic hot head kit. I probably should have added the strips and I personally don't like the side panels.

right on, i am interested to hear from someone who has the sound assassin strips installed as to whether or not they help with alpine audio quality as well

it looks like they're only an additional $40

Last edited:
Top Bottom