Rear axle noise

BertaNation

I am hearing a noise which I am sure is coming from the rear axle. Most noticable between 20-40mph during light acceleration and then letting off the gas. To me it is the sound of a bearing. I can hear the sound change as it decelerates
Any suggestions as to what it would be.
I did have my gears changed back in June.
My thoughts are pinion bearing or wheel bearing

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds to me like you already have a good idea of what it is. Being that you had your gears done not too long ago, I would take it back to whoever did them for you and have them give it a look.

jorgelrod

Hooked
I am hearing a noise which I am sure is coming from the rear axle. Most noticable between 20-40mph during light acceleration and then letting off the gas. To me it is the sound of a bearing. I can hear the sound change as it decelerates
Any suggestions as to what it would be.
I did have my gears changed back in June.
My thoughts are pinion bearing or wheel bearing

It can also be the gears, gears tempered during break in might develop a hum at certain speeds due to heating during this period, mine did. The store Checked and rechecked to make sure the gears were correctly shimmed and set. The Gear manufacturer said it might happened and that they will replace if they break but that they don't forsee an issue with it besides the hum at 40-45 mph. If I want to get rid of it I have to change the gears on my own dime and righ now drowning it out is what the radio is for...

BertaNation

The shop that installed them is about an 1 1/2 drive from me. But looks like I need to take the time to do it.
Thought maybe if it was a wheel bearing I would just do it myself and save the trip.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
As Eddie said it sounds like a pinion bearing. I had two go out on me within 500 miles of having them done.

Top Bottom