Rubicon Rear D44 vs Sport D44

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Can anyone tell me the difference in the rear axles? I know the obvious with the axle shafts and locker that is stock, but is there any other difference?

I can get a crazy deal from a friend on a 30 spline rear arb locker that needs to be rebuilt, but want to make sure this would work.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The Sport 44 is what you want as it will have axle shafts that are of the same length and that means you only have to carry one spare. Also, you'd want to run it with 35 spline shafts and an ARB anyway. :yup:

OH, you DO NOT want the 30 spline setup. Factory Rubicon 44's come with 32 spline rears and if anything, you'd want to UPGRADE, not downgrade.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
The Sport 44 is what you want as it will have axle shafts that are of the same length and that means you only have to carry one spare. Also, you'd want to run it with 35 spline shafts and an ARB anyway. :yup:

So if I just get the arb locker, I would just need new shafts? or do I need a new rear housing?

I may be ordering a pr44 front finally and this was just an easier way to get the rear locked with arb and to ditch the factory e-locker which I think I can sell for a decent price as the axles only have 2k on them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So if I just get the arb locker, I would just need new shafts? or do I need a new rear housing?

Sorry, I forgot that you already have a Rubicon. You cannot use a Sport ARB in your Rubicon rear axle. Unless there is something wrong with your locker, I would just keep what you have as it will still be stronger.

I may be ordering a pr44 front finally and this was just an easier way to get the rear locked with arb and to ditch the factory e-locker which I think I can sell for a decent price as the axles only have 2k on them.

If you sell your axles and get a Sport 44 rear, I would get it with a 35 spline ARB and yes, you would need new shafts.

Top Bottom