Cheap rust fix

Dirty Edition

Ok so I'm in College and wheel with my jeep. A lot. So the undercarriage has seen some better days, but where I go to school is literally on an island surrounded my salt water and my scratches are starting to rust. Any cheap but effective way to counter this. Already plan on grounding it off then using a rattle can but didn't know if there is anything else out there.

Jern26

I forget who makes it, but there's stuff I've used before on old vehicles called "rust reformer" I think the autoparts stores had it. it literally works magic. Spray or brush it on, and it makes some kind of reaction, bubbles the rust off and dries flat black, ready to paint over. It completely gets rid of the rust underneath it so it won't get any worse, worked good for me!

WJCO

Meme King
Ok so I'm in College and wheel with my jeep. A lot. So the undercarriage has seen some better days, but where I go to school is literally on an island surrounded my salt water and my scratches are starting to rust. Any cheap but effective way to counter this. Already plan on grounding it off then using a rattle can but didn't know if there is anything else out there.

Paint is temporary, I would recommend spraying something thicker like an undercoating in a can. There's a lot of stuff out there. You could even roll or brush on many bedliner type products. Paint WILL seal it, but typically doesn't last as long.

wcarlson40

Since nothing is permanent (even rubber undercoat won't last), why not use Fluid Film? Yes it requires yearly application, but it doesn't require any wire brushing, sanding, etc. It smells like goat piss, but it just sprays on easily.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Humm ok thank y'all I'll look into both. Just basically trying to keep my jeep from rotting through while on the coast haha

Rust is a constant battle. I've found that a wire brush, a can of rustoleum and 20 ish minutes can go a long way.

Also, to help get the salt out of hard to reach spots, I've put a hose with a sprinkler head under my Jeep for about 30mins, moving it every 10 to make sure I get the entire under carriage.

Brent McCartney

Rust is a constant battle. I've found that a wire brush, a can of rustoleum and 20 ish minutes can go a long way.

Also, to help get the salt out of hard to reach spots, I've put a hose with a sprinkler head under my Jeep for about 30mins, moving it every 10 to make sure I get the entire under carriage.

That's funny, I thought running thru puddles on the road worked good. Lol

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
If you are subjected to salty conditions constantly, I would get an electric corrosion protection system. There're are good products that use electrolysis to prevent rust. Just another option.

Top Bottom