How do you transport your Jeep Cross country?

zerorex

Hello all! New to the forum and had a question about getting your jeep cross country.

I'm just getting into jeeping and my fiance and I are thinking of taking a trip to Ouray Colorado.We live in NY so its about a 3000mile round trip drive. I was wondering if you rent a flatbed for your jeeps or if you just drive it and say screw it.

My jeep is stock for the most part but will be doing significant upgrades over the summer (about $13k in upgrades overall...she said yes to the upgrades thank god) and just didnt know if it was a bad idea to drive a lifted jeep with 35 nittos cross country. The trip would be after the upgrades. Thanks again for all of the help! :thumb:

zerorex

Piginajeep and I drove his jeep from Florida to California on 35" Nitto's
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=30188

Nice!! I've never done that far of a trip before (Which is why I'm kinda worried), but also was wondering if adding the miles would be an issue. I mean its a 2015 and you'll probably laugh at me but in one year I have 6k miles haha. I'm a teacher and dont live far from my job, but during the summer time we usually just go hiking or camping. This summer with the upgrades we want to make it all about offroading. Hopefully if you guys do some meetups in the NY metro area i'd love to come and learn. I got a small taste of offroading in upstate ny and pa and well now im hooked lol

Fridge81

I drove from Southwest AZ ,up to Vegas and to St. Louis and back last summer on my 35" Nittos. Zero issues. That was with close to 100,000 miles on her. Have trust in your jeep grasshopper. If you are good to it, it'll be good to you. I think you would regret trailering your jeep on such an epic trip. Have fun!

zerorex

Have any of you ever done the trails in Ouray or Black Bear Pass in Colorado? Any advice for a beginner? Both look like a ton of fun

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I use my gas pedal to haul mine.

I flat towed it once, only because I couldn't drive three vehicles with two people. I have many 9 hour and 14 hour each way trips on my jkur's. Drove the 13 six hours just to get it home brand new. Yes my truck can be more comfortable on long trips, but you really should use a one ton to safely tow the jeep in my opinion. Look at the weight ratings of your tow vehicle and then the actual loaded weight of your jeep and the trailer it is sitting on to decide if you can safely tow it.
For flat towing, your supposed to use a brake setup that applies the jeep brakes which isn't cheap.

Drive it, it is part of the adventure. Or tow it if you can safely do that.

Flynlo

Absolutely drive it. My wife and I took my JK from NH to the Outer Banks and on to Nashville for New Years before my deployment and we had a blast, Jeep was smooth and trouble-free the whole way. I had 33's at the time but will have on 35's for our next trip in August. We'll be trekking across the northern U.S. and will also be swinging through Ourey and exploring Black Bear Pass. When are you guys planning on going? It would be awesome to have a trail partner!

Best advise I can give about road-tripping your JK is to drive it as much as possible after any upgrades to make sure everything works as it should. Any small issues (Suspension shimmies, squeaks, leaks, hood flutter etc.) will be amplified when pulling long highway miles.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Drive it and enjoy it. The JK certainly isn't an Escalade but it is a surprisingly competent pavement ride. Enjoy the 3,000 miles to Ouray.:thumb:

crowrb29

Out of 40,000 miles My jeep has at least 12,000 miles of just cross country driving on it. A couple of those times I stopped in Colorado and wheeled on the way to the Midwest and had zero issues finishing up the trips. It's great to be able to get out and see some country in the jeep. Plus you're going to end up spending more on a truck and trailer than what it would cost to drive the jeep places. Also think of the JKX, it's a whole event dedicated to traveling to all different places using the JKs themselves and not tow rigs and those jeeps definitely see some action.

wackamole

I drove mine 2300 miles during winter, one way, from the Wis/ILL border to San Diego with zero issues.. If you're running a MT or softer rubber tire, that's a lot of miles, but if you're not worried about tread life, you shouldn't have any other real worries.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm in the same boat as you. Going to Moab this Summer from the Pittsburgh area. I'm was originally going to trailer the Jeep but talked it over with the family and we're going to make getting there
Part of the fun. As far as the Jeep is concerned, those are some of the easiest miles you'll ever put on it. Putting 3000 highway miles on it is easy on the equipment when compared to stop & go city driving. That's much harder on a vehicle. For tires, that's a little different but still as far as the Jeep goes, piece of cake.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Have any of you ever done the trails in Ouray or Black Bear Pass in Colorado? Any advice for a beginner? Both look like a ton of fun

Black bear pass is not for beginners. Also not a trail that you should do alone either.

Shootingjeeper

Back in August, I drove mine from Arkansas to Ouray just to do Black Bear Pass. No problems what so ever. Enjoyed every mile of it!

Ddays

Hooked
Back in August, I drove mine from Arkansas to Ouray just to do Black Bear Pass. No problems what so ever. Enjoyed every mile of it!

What was Black Bear like? I think I've watched "Keep it Tight" about 25 times. That descent portion just mesmerizes me...:shock:

soedog

I'm in NE Ohio and a group of us from our Offroad club are heading to Moab in September and I have been debating whether to flatbed or not.
Thought we could maybe get a group rate on a car hauler and maybe just rent a van we could all pile in.
Part of me wants to drive it in the JK as I do enjoy road trips but 3,400 miles round trip is a haul.

dillard09

I like to drive and plan to always drive mine. It might not be Caddy comfort or have the most power but it gets me from A to B. Set the cruise in 65 and just roll unless up hill. I make at least one yearly trip to Colorado and Utah if not 2-3 from SoCal and the worst problems I have had was a clockspring and unit bearing go out.

zerorex

Black bear pass is not for beginners. Also not a trail that you should do alone either.

Unless I can get a guide or do a jeep jamboree type event that lines up I won't go alone ;) haha and I don't know if I trust my fiancé to be my spotter lol

Top Bottom