Standard radio with stand alone GPS

whytiptoe

Looking to purchase my new jeep, wanting input on purchasing standard radio, upgrading aftermarket and have a good stand alone Garmin GPS.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have had factory gps/radio on both of my jkur's. It is nice that it is built in. It is nice that it is a big screen. It is is nice that somebody can't walk off with it. I do like the built in hard drive (but I have been too lazy to load music because of the satellite radio and I can link to my phone.)

BUT: i think they are ridiculously overpriced and do not work nearly as good as my stand alone gps units nor aftermarket radios. I would rather saved the $1k to $2k and either bought a nicer cheap stereo that sounds way better with a stand alone gps or a little more money for a better radio with built in gps that still sounds way better (with better speakers probably).

I wasn't going to get it on my newest jeep, but it didn't work out that way.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
The $1000 model on my new one is garmin based, but not as good as my other garmins.

There is a great thread in the write ups about installing a used factory nav unit for much cheaper than buying it new at the dealer. I think that is the route I am going to take.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
It is an easy swap. Make sure you get the correct version. Chrysler has high speed and low speed bus versions. Also, if it a newer radio, they have a security code that you have to have, so make sure you get that (if it is newer).

This can definately be a cheaper route.

I'm just not crazy about the software.

jorgelrod

Hooked
It is an easy swap. Make sure you get the correct version. Chrysler has high speed and low speed bus versions. Also, if it a newer radio, they have a security code that you have to have, so make sure you get that (if it is newer).

This can definately be a cheaper route.

I'm just not crazy about the software.

It's not like the OEM software on the 430 is the Best, It still pisses me off that I have to wait half an hour after I hit accept on a phone call for the radio to stop saying uconnect blah blah blah. They haven't upgraded the Software since 2013

Top Bottom