2012 JKU Trans locked

BrewDude

Drove 2.5 hrs from Phx to the mountains and wheeled in light snow (6-12'' deep) and never left H4. Parked ( Garaged while still in 4H) over a 36 hr period during our stay at a cabin with our family. When we left the Rubi started fine and after a mile on the trail all my indicators are showing [P][R][N][D] selected with a check engine light illuminated. I stopped and put the jeep in 2H and turned it off to see if it would clear, when I turned it on all of the indicators remained selected and the gearbox had locked. Disconnected battery to see if it would clear and I found that the M38 (door unlock&lock) fuse was blown and when trying to put it another it immediately arcs and wants to blow the new 25amp fuse ( whether it is on or off. ) I have also lost my right headlight when driving but when I lock or Unlock the vehicle both come on or its intermittent. I bypassed the lock on the gear select thru the access tab just right and centered in the console and was able to get it back into a [D] state after several manipulations of the gear select and 4W gearbox but it feels as if it is stuck in 4H, the Rubis top speed is 35-45mph @ 35-4000. I was able to very slowly limp it home and will be taking it in on Monday. ( I unfortunately had no choice, everyone was booked through Christmas, No rental trucks and trailers available and a $1200+ tow truck from the trail and 200 miles home didn't sound to great and I had two Akitas they wouldn't transport with us) When I manipulate the 4W gear box it will move in all locations but when I place it in Neutral and put the Jeep into drive it does nothing ( Although I have never done this normally my assumption is that the transmission regardless of where my 2H,4H,4L setting is, would move. ) My thoughts are that the transfer case has electrically locked itself, failing to receive signal and will not disengage, but that doesn't explain for the immediate fuse blowing. I visually verified and could not see anything had been blocked by debris or ripped out forcefully. I have just got home and have not had a chance to run out to get the error codes. Can anyone please share in their experiences of similar circumstance or have any ideas?

Last edited:

Brent McCartney

It is my understanding that when the transfer case is in neutral its completely freewheel, will not move regardless of transmission gear selected.

jeeeep

Hooked
I'd try unplugging the broken headlight. sounds like you have something shorting the circuit - that's where I would start.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
This sounds like another case of a wondeful computer controled vehicle.

Can't help with the electrical gremlin, but does sound like a short somewhere. Look for a busted plug or melted wire. That could be anywhere.

Transfer case nuetral is just like transmission neutral. Power goes from the engine to the tranny to transfer case to drive shafts to axles. You will not go anywhere in neutral.

Good luck.

BrewDude

Thanks for responding guys, I know its a very particular kind of break down but I figured I would put my issue out there to see if there were other cases. The explanation of the transfer case makes sense and I guess my mental hang up was of how the order of operation worked, in a not so technical way; the transfer case works as sort of a geared clutch and when neutral is selected it disengages all movement, leaving the engine/trans isolated in a free-spin.

As for the electrical issue, I don't have the time or resources to chase miles of wire, harnesses and connectors for the next week so I am SOL. It is frustrating that you can be prepared as you can with tools and spare parts and a little electric bug will completely cripple you. There might be a dedicated troubleshooting thread out there on potential "jumpers" or bypassing critical electric systems already but it would be awesome to have an aid in on the spot recovery for non mechanical issues we could face.

Top Bottom