EVO vs. others

RageKage

So I've seen quite a few members on here. (if not perhaps the vast majority) on what I would call an "EVO hype". Is there a reason for this? Can anyone explain why EVO seems to be the better mfg than say Poison Spyder or other mfg's. I know each has their own distinct style and capabilities just wondering why it seems like everyone chooses EVO over the rest.

CastleRockJeep

I only own one small thing built by Evo. I do however plan on buying a few more things. I suggest taking some time and watching the awesome videos Eddie and Cindy put together. This will show you the strength of Evo products. I don't plan on having the entire weight of my Jk on one slider, but it would be nice knowing that I could...

Last edited:

JeepJeep75

If you sit back and enjoy this site, you will soon see many, many different reasons why the majority of people here prefer the EVO brand. Don't take my word, or any one persons word, but instead form your own opinion of EVO. You will see brands of all kinds here, but the one brand that consistently seems to get the job done many, many times over is EVO. It's American made, but more importantly, has great people that stand proudly behind their products. Like I said though, sit back and absorb all of the great knowledge that is on this site. It's not "EVO hype", it's a brand of manufactured jeep parts that just work, and look good doing it too!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
The EVO stuff seems to get used and abused and keeps asking for more.

However, there are still a lot of other brands that are great as well and get recommended on this site all the time. It depends on your taste and what your gonna do with it as to the feedback you get here usually.

MBezner

EVO seems to keep things simple too. They seem to weed out the extra stuff that doesn't necessarily have to be changed when your lifting your jeep 2, 3, or 4 inches. It seems to me they know exactly what pieces to replace in order to make the most difference.

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Here's my experience (as you can see in my build thread and the one I created called another cause of death wobble). I purchased the Rock Krawler 3.5" X-factor Kit before I joined this site, I'd been a JK forum for several years at that point. When I started my build thread on here I was given a few warnings about others' experiences about the kit's shortcomings, but I already bought it and I went ahead and installed. 90% of the other members were encouraging throughout and after the build. Magically enough each of the shortcomings I was warned about came true. At first it was just the trackbar rubbing on the rear passenger side spring, general interference issue with the rear trackbar due to the 1" stretch, and now I felt the vibrations that were transmitted through the heim joints (also on the trackbars). I was warned about that the trackbar mounts were poorly designed and not very strong. This was magnified because I am not a professional welder and installed them myself. Over six months the kit held up fine (11 Offroad trips to VT and NH) and on the last I slid down an ice covered obstacle and hit a rock on the forward trackbar mount while off-roading in Vermont. Everything looked fine, then about a week later the trackbar mount failed at the welded area of the joint. Luckily I was only going about 30 mph but it could have been a lot worse. I ended up replacing both trackbar mounts with the EVO mount kits (which the representative at EVO broke up out of the normal kits they are part of and sold them to me separately at a reduced cost than the full kit) and they emailed me the directions before I got the components so I could prepare for the install. I had a great experience with them and their people and their mounts (in my opinion are superior in design and ease of install). I also put my old OEM track bars in with their mounts and the vibrations that were annoying me we're gone (rubber bushings vice heim joints). I still run the rest of the RK kit and really enjoy it. I've off-roaded my Jeep across the east coast in its current configuration with no issues on or off the trail.

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you really want? Some of the EVO stuff is way too expensive for me so I won't be able to buy it. Aside from that my current build gives me the capability to do what I want with my Jeep. If you're looking to modify and upgrade your Jeep, they are a ton of experienced people on here that will give you advice (that you don't have to take) about certain products. So people are more up front about it, just try not to get offended because they may tell you something you don't want to hear. Search a few threads and you'll see where the majority of the forum members have had components fail them and what they had to do to fix it. I personally find it invaluable and the majority of the members are great people and I've enjoyed my time with them on the trail when we've had meet-ups. Just my 2 cents.

-Matt

There are lots of companies that make good parts. With that said, i dont think there is a better real world test of function and toughness for a brand of products like EVO1 and EVOlander. I like products that are overbuilt (in the USA) but sometimes you will pay for it. No hype, just time and trail tested performace.

Ddays

Hooked
So I've seen quite a few members on here. (if not perhaps the vast majority) on what I would call an "EVO hype". Is there a reason for this? Can anyone explain why EVO seems to be the better mfg than say Poison Spyder or other mfg's. I know each has their own distinct style and capabilities just wondering why it seems like everyone chooses EVO over the rest.

EVO hype?
Familiar with the saying "it's not bragging if you can back it up?" That's EVO plain and simple. No nonsense, heavy duty, good looking, and built to take the abuse.
Watch any of the videos to see the parts in action.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
Customer service, family owned and operated, made in the USA.

NOT the same bullshit overseas prepackaged mass produced Chinese kit/parts to save a buck that most company's push.

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
I only have one EVO part so far, but I plan on more or they will be made in the USA. Had some cheap Chinese made stuff on my old Jeep,it's ok but I'm going with made in USA quality this time.

Buster3479

I don't buy into "hype" with anything I spend my hard earned $ on. If you look around all of the forums, you'll actually find "hype" on every other product, except EVO. Giant sales, bogos, entire forums spouting "most popular lift" setups is a lot more "hype" than showing products in action is.

What you'll find here is that a bunch of us have run those products, Synergy, Rock Krawler, AEV, Metalcloak, and were unhappy with them in some way. Dust boots that always fall off, bad geometry, forging cracks in the arm ends, geo brackets that only work for singular scenarios, and innovative ideas that aren't backed by durability or real world testing are something we just weren't willing to settle on.

Some like myself have spent thousands changing out the same parts multiple times until we bit the $ bullet and tried something by EVO, or Currie, or a few other limited manufacturers. Once you find something that meets or exceeds your expectations, you buy more of it. All the other brands are slowly working there way off of Beast at the speed I can afford to change them based on something I don't like about them. I carefully budget each purchase for what it will offer me. Does that sound like "hype", or trial and error OP? Spend your $ how you want. If you're smarter than I was, you'll spend it once.

boardsurfer

There are a couple reasons for me. If you watch enough wayalife videos you will see the gear getting thoroughly abused. Now, I'm not saying poison spider or LOD equipment wouldn't survive the same stuff, it's just that I've SEEN the EVO gear take a beating. Take a look at EVO1, Mel's race rig. It taken on King of the Hammers and the Baja 1000. If that isn't the ultimate torture test I don't know what is. And it is fully kitted with Evo stuff. Did you see the video clip of Mel flipping his jeep off a ledge and keep on racing? Yeah.

Second, I've met Mel, shook his hand and asked him questions about EVO 1 that I'm sure he's heard a million times. We had a nice chat and that goes a long way for me.

I'm certain I will never take my jeep to the Hammers or Carnage Canyon. But it's nice to know that I don't have to worry about my EVO gear at all.

uberc4

Definitely agree with spending once even if it takes a few more months to save. This is what I'm doing as we speak. :thumb:

Best advice learn from others who have gone before you. Let them save you the hassle of wasting your money on parts that don't hold up to the abuse. Eddie is a good example, he has ran just about, if not, EVERYTHING and look what's on his Jeeps.

Jeepfan30

I like EVO because I have tried components from other companies, and have slowly switched out to EVO. Someone mentioned simplicity on the first page and I agree with that, EVO doesn't try to sell extra components (all 8 arms, adjustable track bars) just to make more money. I fell for that hype before I found WAL, and have since sold a lot of unneccesary components from other companies. Their components are sometimes a little more expensive, but well worth it to buy a quality piece once. Lastly, it's hard to find negative reviews/fails on the internet of EVO products, that should be an indicator.

EVO is a great company that makes great components and that's why people choose it...kinda like why we all chose Jeep over Ford.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
As some have mentioned, I personally don't buy into "hype". Plain and simple, I want the best products available on my rig. In a lot of cases, that's EVO. They make excellent products right here in the US, which is important to me. Where they don't fit the bill or meet my criteria, I try to use other great American made products. This is why I run a Full Metal Fabworks front bumper. I can say that of the many EVO parts I am running, there just simply wasn't anything that could beat them in that product category.
I have been known to say a few things about crap Chinese Jeep parts. If that's all you can afford, then great, no one will bash you or even give it a second though. If you can afford it though, you just can't beat American made Jeep parts. EVO also has excellent customer service and stand behind their products. A perfect example of their toughness is the picture floating around of the JCR bumper from JKX. Several EVO bumpers hit the same obstacle and not one tacoed like that. I have a lot of confidence that when I put an EVO product on my rig, I have the best I can get and don't have to worry about it.

RageKage

I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe "hype" was the wrong word to use and caused some offensiveness. I apologize for that. I'm my eyes a hype is something that everyone is using or the vast majority is using and recommending. Not to say the part doesn't work or is crap. I was asking because I personally like Poison Spyder and have watched many videos of their rigs at KoH and was impressed and why people choose one over the other. But I agree with what everyone else has said. If I'm going to buy a part I only want to buy it one time and I want to know its going to work and not fail, also that's American made. Thanks again everyone. I think there are some EVO parts in my future. As well as more Poison Spyder.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I appreciate everyone's input. Maybe "hype" was the wrong word to use and caused some offensiveness. I apologize for that. I'm my eyes a hype is something that everyone is using or the vast majority is using and recommending. Not to say the part doesn't work or is crap. I was asking because I personally like Poison Spyder and have watched many videos of their rigs at KoH and was impressed and why people choose one over the other. But I agree with what everyone else has said. If I'm going to buy a part I only want to buy it one time and I want to know its going to work and not fail, also that's American made. Thanks again everyone. I think there are some EVO parts in my future. As well as more Poison Spyder.

Nothing wrong with Poison Spyder. I hope that since they have been bought by Trans American that they continue making their parts here in the US. I personally think their fender flares are some of the best looking around. I like their bumpers too. Sliders on the other hand, is a great example of what I was talking about. Their sliders look good, but will not be as durable as EVOs weld on sliders. Just the nature of the beast. For many, the PS sliders will be more than sufficient, but I personally don't go for 'sufficient' when putting things in my rig. I go for the toughest I can find. I'd rather have too much than not enough. If you personally like PS, I say go for it. It's your money and ultimately your the one that needs to be happy with your purchases.

Ddays

Hooked

No worries from me. I'd agree with all that AAI said.
I do have a PS Rock Brawler rear bumper and it's a fine bumper. I am just choosing to not run it for the time being.

Top Bottom