Oil in my Air intake....???

TXlineguy

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450671138.507935.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450671161.970938.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450671176.873950.jpg

OK y'all I'm definitely not the brightest crayon in the box and I know diddly squat about a gas Engine but in a diesel I would not be concerned I would say that The oil is blow bye due to the intercooler and the fact that it's a 350. Now that being said my jeep is not a diesel and I don't have a clue... I could use some input if I should be concerned or not?

WJCO

Meme King
Like you said, diesel, not a big deal........But gasoline, that is very strange. I would check your pcv valve or any kind of vent valve in the system. Oil shouldn't be in there. I can't think of anything else that would cause that.

WJCO

Meme King
ummmm..... What's the pcv valve?

Positive Crankcase Ventilation. There has to be some kind of vent for the crankcase. As the allowable amount of blowby seeps past the piston rings and fills your crankcase, the pressure has to go somewhere. The manufacturer has to have some kind of breather system. Otherwise you would start blowing out all of your gaskets.

Zstairlessone

... but in a diesel I would not be concerned I would say that The oil is blow bye due to the intercooler and the fact that it's a 350.

?????

PCV valve - Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. Keeps the crankcase from becoming pressurized and redirects the vaporous air.

Inter cooler shouldn't have any oil in it, they should be either air-to-air (not as good) or coolant-to-air (good). I may be wrong, but if you are getting oil in the intake of a diesel you are probably oiling it down from a failing turbo

WJCO

Meme King
?????

PCV valve - Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve. Keeps the crankcase from becoming pressurized and redirects the vaporous air.

Inter cooler shouldn't have any oil in it, they should be either air-to-air (not as good) or coolant-to-air (good). I may be wrong, but if you are getting oil in the intake of a diesel you are probably oiling it down from a failing turbo

Yes and/or no. I've seen a lot of diesels that have a liquid oil film in them from a plugged air filter. Basically as the air filter becomes more plugged, the turbo will start to suck more oil vapor from the crankcase as it vents into the turbo inlet tube, instead of sucking clean air. I've seen it enough times where if you have a light oil film in the air tubes or intake, it is semi-normal and the customer needs to maintain their air filter better. Wheras if you have a ton of liquid oil, it is more of a turbo seal/bearing problem. But as the poster said, he has a gasoline engine, I'm guessing he has some kind of PCV problem.

Zstairlessone

Yes and/or no. I've seen a lot of diesels that have a liquid oil film in them from a plugged air filter. Basically as the air filter becomes more plugged, the turbo will start to suck more oil vapor from the crankcase as it vents into the turbo inlet tube, instead of sucking clean air. I've seen it enough times where if you have a light oil film in the air tubes or intake, it is semi-normal and the customer needs to maintain their air filter better. Wheras if you have a ton of liquid oil, it is more of a turbo seal/bearing problem. But as the poster said, he has a gasoline engine, I'm guessing he has some kind of PCV problem.
Yep, also if your air filter is that clogged you will see a lot of black smoke from the exhaust and you stand a good chance of deforming the element and admitting unfiltered air (with dirt) into the engine, never a good thing.

The picture he attached does look like the result of a sticking PCV valve

Top Bottom