Where should I mount my air compressor tank?

vjusmc

I just picked up an Air-Zenith on board air system and need help figuring out a good mounting location. I would like to mount my air compressor under the hood somewhere but need to figure out what mount to purchase or fabricate. The compressor is a little bigger than a Viair 400C with the same mounting bolt configuration. I was thinking of using a master cylinder mount bracket. Does anyone run their compressor at this location ? If so any issues ?

The air tank I would like to mount somewhere under the vehicle but don't think it's possible without risking damage to the tank. My second option is mounting the tank somewhere in the rear cargo area. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm installing this system in my 15 Wrangler JKU.

Here is the pump and the claimed output.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450675526.951170.jpg

All-new 2nd generation OB2 compressor- 200psi max. working pressure, 100% duty cycle, 3/4 horsepower moisture and dust resistant heavy-duty motor.

Specifications:
■ Voltage: 12V DC
■ Working Pressure: 200 PSI
■ Air Flow: 4.25 CFM
■ Duty Cycle: 100% @ 200 PSI
■ Max. Amp Draw: 35A
■ Motor: 3/4 HP

The tank will be either a 3 or 5 gallon aircraft grade aluminum tank with a 300 psi capacity.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450675732.842241.jpg

I will be using this set up primarily to inflate my 37" tires, interior cleaning and to operate a train horn. I hate sitting at each tire for 5-7 minutes inflating them and want a fast output pump to speed things up.

I know there's many different types of air setups and want to hear everyone's input. If you have any photographs depicting your pump or tank setup please attach for myself and others to view.

Last edited:

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If you dont already have the tank, and dont mind taking up some room in the rear, check out accuair exo mounts for the tank and compressor. I have built a lot of air ride cars, and always used that setup when I could afford it due to ease of use, and also the compressor mounts are nice to keep it all in one package. They also have rubber isolators for the compressor to keep it much quieter. I have ran a viar underhood before, and it was so hot after wheeling you couldnt touch it, and it would trip the thermal overload after 4 35s. I know the air zenith is much better however.

https://accuair.com/airmanagementproducts/exo-mount-bracket-system-viair-380c400c-5

Personally I just run the arb twin now mounted under the passenger seat which has been perfect for me so far.

Top Bottom