2007 Wrangler Sahara DD Build Thread

mjmck

Hello all,

Starting a build thread here of our 2007 Steel Blue Wrangler Sahara.

Purchased almost 1-year ago at a Honda dealer in Central New York with 85,000 Miles (Now at 96,000). Its in pretty good shape, it does have some rust due to age and being in a salty environment its whole life but runs excellent. The previous owner installed a Warn 9K winch, Warn bumper, engine skid, Bilstein shocks, 1'' front puck lift, SMittybilt rock rails, control arm bracket skids and a useless snorkle.

Since we have purchased it a few things have been added like a Daystar dash pad install, 2.5'' Budget Boost with adjustable front track bar and a Rugged Ridge overhead console.

A few weeks ago i replaced the stock muffler (was getting loud) with a used stock muffler and noticed the heat shield was falling (corrosion), this past weekend we removed the rotten studs and installed new bolts to secure the heat shield back in place. We also swapped out the OEM spark plugs with new OEM units. Ended up breaking a plug wire in the process, so we replaced them all with new ones. Runs much quieter at startup and idle. Included were pictures of the old plugs (checked the gap and they were worn out to 0.60!

I just ordered some Kanati Trail Hog tires (35x12.5R17) for the Jeep that should be here next Tuesday. Some mods in the future include a CB setup and Evap canister relocation or skid plate.

Picture all cleaned up before the BB.
IMG_0277_zpscbapx4cn.jpg

Old plugs.
IMG_1518_zpsrqzil7qb.jpg

IMG_1519_zpsn7arqbmi.jpg

mjmck

Not quite! But close!

It runs much better now, some acceleration is back. Will need all we can get with the 35's and 3.73's.

mjmck

Time for a Tuner!

IMG_1752_zpswiu4jqf0.jpg

A pic just before we swapped out the OEM rims for OEM Black rims.
Pics_zpsfjxhcfbg.jpg

Last edited:

mjmck

Well an eventful week last week. Radiator blew on the jeep the evening of my Birthday. Got it squeezed in our puny garage and replaced. Also did my second oil change and first fuel filter service at 18,510 miles for my RAM EcoDiesel.

IMG_3626_zpskaacqael.jpg

IMG_3625_zpsrpoanj8p.jpg

IMG_3629_zpsiazn31i6.jpg

IMG_3630_zpszppdxglc.jpg

IMG_3631_zpscf22vkt4.jpg

IMG_3632_zpsb0mzy0vh.jpg

IMG_3633_zpsvxojpdil.jpg

mjmck

Next issue (again) Passenger rear caliper is sticking resulting in a very nasty brake pad smell. Of course I have already replaced this caliper a little over 1 year ago. Imagine that, 1 year warranty.... Garbage parts these days....

mjmck

It never ends. So the wifes Jeep is an 07 Wrangler. Its been a great ride, some recall stuff when we purchased used at 75K miles. Since then its been a radiator (end cap cracked), and now 3 calipers.

I replaced the drivers rear when it started locking up in Bayonne, NJ (which was BAD). About 6 months later the passenger rear started sticking. Well here we are just over 1 year later and the passenger rear is sticking again. Of course I found the receipt but it was a 1 year warranty. Check out the pad wear on the left pad of the picture. That piston has been messed up for some time. And yes, that rust is from 1 year and change of use!
IMG_4216_zpscagvuyyg.jpg

So we replaced it for now last night. Looks like now that that pad is ruined we will need new ones. So it looks like this has now turned into a complete brake job! Junk reman parts.... Sorry rant over...

WJCO

Meme King
It never ends. So the wifes Jeep is an 07 Wrangler. Its been a great ride, some recall stuff when we purchased used at 75K miles. Since then its been a radiator (end cap cracked), and now 3 calipers.

I replaced the drivers rear when it started locking up in Bayonne, NJ (which was BAD). About 6 months later the passenger rear started sticking. Well here we are just over 1 year later and the passenger rear is sticking again. Of course I found the receipt but it was a 1 year warranty. Check out the pad wear on the left pad of the picture. That piston has been messed up for some time. And yes, that rust is from 1 year and change of use!

So we replaced it for now last night. Looks like now that that pad is ruined we will need new ones. So it looks like this has now turned into a complete brake job! Junk reman parts.... Sorry rant over...

That's definitely a caliper issue. Sorry to hear about the shitty parts. Hope this will be the end of it.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
Nice Jeep! Sorry to hear you're having some problems with it :(

On a side note, how do you like the RAM EcoDiesel? I'm thinking about trading in my Tacoma for a full size truck, so I can tow my Jeep. I think the EcoDiesel would be a great option but don't know anybody who has owned one to ask them how it's been.

ImLost7

Quick follow up on the tires. How are the 35s with the 3.73 gears? Did you reinforce your tailgate? I have a 2009 Sahara as well and am torn between 33 & 35 inch tires.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

mjmck

Well the JK failed inspection Saturday for the Parking Brake. Went out and bought all the parts (minus calipers as they are already new) to R & R the back end. Got the old rotors off and the parking brake shoes and springs looked in excellent shape. I took out the adjusters and cleaned them up. Adjusted accordingly and put on the new rotors and pads. Passed the next day.

IMG_4237_zpshafvifja.jpg

IMG_4238_zpsarhn6jct.jpg

IMG_4239_zps2mra5jgn.jpg

mjmck

That's definitely a caliper issue. Sorry to hear about the shitty parts. Hope this will be the end of it.

Its the world we live in now-adays. Parts made to last their warranty period and that's it. So far since we bought the JK we have done the tune up, 2 calipers, rear brake job and a radiator. So for a 2007 I don't think that's too bad. :beer:

Nice Jeep! Sorry to hear you're having some problems with it :(

On a side note, how do you like the RAM EcoDiesel? I'm thinking about trading in my Tacoma for a full size truck, so I can tow my Jeep. I think the EcoDiesel would be a great option but don't know anybody who has owned one to ask them how it's been.

Thanks! I like the EcoDiesel a lot! It does have some small things I don't personally like, but the price was right (was looking at a few year old EcoBoost for only $2K less than the EcoDiesel brand new (with my rebates) so it was a no-brainer. My truck gets 20-28 MPG depending on the type of trip. I did have 1 small issue right after purchase that was cured with a ECM flash.

This is my whole thread on it from new if you want some reading material.
http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-builds/11654-mjmcks-2016-ram-big-horn-build.html

Only issue is right now the EPA is going after RAM for possible emissions "cheat" devices in the EcoDiesel. So RAM currently can't sell a 2017 EcoDiesel truck. The only way you will find one is used, unless you wait out the EPA vs. RAM fiasco.

Quick follow up on the tires. How are the 35s with the 3.73 gears? Did you reinforce your tailgate? I have a 2009 Sahara as well and am torn between 33 & 35 inch tires.

Sent from my SM-G935V using WAYALIFE mobile app

The tires are holding up great, they do VERY well in the snow for a 12.5'' wide tire (they are snow rated however). The 35's did take a huge hit out on our JK with the 3.8L, we currently drive it with the O/D off all the time (unless on open flat highway at 70 MPH). The Tuner helped a lot and we currently run 93 Octane on the 93 Performance Tune. To me its tolerable with the O/D off.

I went with the 35's as it seems most of the people in my wheeling group have 35's and I wanted to keep our JK on the same level as them. Honestly we haven't even taken this Jeep on a trail ride since we built it. Hope to change that. We did not reinforce the tailgate as its only holding a stock Rubicon BFG Mud Terrain. My plan is to eventually get a rear tire carrier/bumper combo.

Top Bottom