Best CB radio to install

Al Bundy

Looking to purchase a CB radio for my jk. Can you guys give me suggestions. I would like one that I can put in my center console.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Timely question Al. I'm actually here tonight, not just to research CBs, but at least as important - mounting/installation options.

bonedaddy

I have the Uniden 980 with Cooltech Gate Mount kit - 100% plug n play ... Great CB ... You won't regret it...

WarriorJeep

I have the Uniden Pro 520xl as show below. Very compact, and a solid performer. Antenna I use is a 5 1/2 foot Francis which I managed to get a 1.2 to 1 standing wave ratio (SWR) which was pretty darn exceptional. Make sure you ground the antenna mount and the radio well...

100_5845.jpg

Al Bundy

I have the Uniden Pro 520xl as show below. Very compact, and a solid performer. Antenna I use is a 5 1/2 foot Francis which I managed to get a 1.2 to 1 standing wave ratio (SWR) which was pretty darn exceptional. Make sure you ground the antenna mount and the radio well...

View attachment 179022

I have the Uniden 880 and have no complaints.

I have the Uniden 980 with Cooltech Gate Mount kit - 100% plug n play ... Great CB ... You won't regret it...

I see that you guys have uniden. What's the range you guys get

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
A cobra 75wxst would fit very well in the center console and would be easy to hide when not in use, I ran one for about 2 years with no issues till I stepped up to a full size mounted up on the cage. I also used the dashmount form cooltech llc which is a nice oem looking option for the 75 as well. Not sure on the range but it works perfectly on the trail and highway when driving together.

tdougherty81

I've never actually tested the range. I know from my house I pick up truckers on I45 which is about 12 miles away, woods and hills. No sure if that is good or not.

I don't have a recent picture with it installed but basically I mounted here with bracket it came with.

Attachments

• 1450799870008.jpg
    1450799870008.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 322

Al Bundy

A cobra 75wxst would fit very well in the center console and would be easy to hide when not in use, I ran one for about 2 years with no issues till I stepped up to a full size mounted up on the cage. I also used the dashmount form cooltech llc which is a nice oem looking option for the 75 as well. Not sure on the range but it works perfectly on the trail and highway when driving together.

Hey bud can you send a pic? Yes looking for something to be hidden at center console

WarriorJeep

I see that you guys have uniden. What's the range you guys get

Range is relative to several factors...

1) terrain
2) antenna
3) SWR
4) Peak envelope power (PEP)
5) propagating conditions of any particular day
And other factors ...

But generally speaking, with my radio and antenna on flat desert, on an average day I get 10 to 12 miles.

Al Bundy

Range is relative to several factors...

1) terrain
2) antenna
3) SWR
4) Peak envelope power (PEP)
5) propagating conditions of any particular day
And other factors ...

But generally speaking, with my radio and antenna on flat desert, on an average day I get 10 to 12 miles.

OK sounds good buddy. Thanks for the info.

GraniteCrystal

I think the Midland 75-822 is also worth looking at. Rumor has it there may be one under the tree for me. Small, can work off batteries, super easy to install, can switch between vehicles.

Attachments

• 1450819324164.jpg
    1450819324164.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 323

Strider

I have a Cobra 19 that I mounted to a cup to fit in the cup holder between the seats. One of the benefits is that it's portable, I can take it out and use it in the wife's car. Mounted the antenna to the third brake light with a twist off antenna. When not in use the CB, mike and power cable fit in the center console.

Attachments

• PICT0718.jpg
    PICT0718.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 229
  • PICT0717.jpg
    PICT0717.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 229

BBrown626

Looking to purchase a CB radio for my jk. Can you guys give me suggestions. I would like one that I can put in my center console.

I only use it for talking to buddies while wheeling, so I went with a Cobra 75. It is mounted under the glove box. I connect the handset when I need to, otherwise it is in the center console. Very compact design.

A buddy uses a cheepo handheld that works very well too.

Top Bottom