My Build Ideas

branz_1029

What's up everyone, been thinking a lot lately about my build for my JKU and this is what I have come to the conclusion of, please feel free to chime in and make any recommendations or reviews if you have a similar build:

Lift:
RockKrawler 5.5" X-Factor Long Arm Kit
Rebel Offroad King Coilover Kit front and rear
Anti-Rock Sway Bars front and rear

Axles:
Front RockJock Dana60
Rear RockJock Dana70
Tom Woods 1350 Driveshafts front and rear

I plan on running 40" tires with this lift but for me the confusing part is, I obviously don't have enough funds to do everything at once so I was planning on just getting the lift done first then holding off until I am ready to do the axles, gearing, and lockers all at once.

I'm not planning on doing hardcore off-roading I just want the ability to do so if I ever wanted to have some fun and not worry about breaking stuff.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Welcome to Wayalife. Do some research before you buy shit products. Unless of course you came here to troll.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm far from the most experienced guy here, but looks to me that you're spending a ton of money to just look good.
If that's what you're after, more power to you. But spending $15k on axles alone? You stated yourself you're not
doing hardcore off-roading. What do you think those axles are for man?

Do yourself a favor; put the checkbook away for now and spend a couple months on this site going through the build threads and learning
the ins & outs of the Jeep world. Ask lots of questions. There isn't a better place to learn. Then after you see what's shit and what isn't, you won't be blowing
money. Ask me how I know....

uberc4

Do yourself a favor; put the checkbook away for now and spend a couple months on this site going through the build threads and learning

2x^ If you don't plan to do hardcore trails, no need in building it for it. You would save a lot more money if you step back, learn, see all the great builds on this forum, then re-plan your build to meet your needs.

branz_1029

Haha thanks for all the replies guys, well honestly the end game is 40" tires. Read a lot of threads on guys running 37" tires and 40" tires on a stock D30 or even a Rubicon D44 and many have bent or broken axles. I don't want to waste time or money building up a axle that isn't worth investing in. I will be doing some off-roading but nothing like Moab here in Hawaii. I just want to have the luxury to wheel and don't want to worry about breaking anything and really just want to build the jeep the right way the first time. I called both dynatrac and Currie and dynatrac quoted me 16k just to safely run 40"s and curries total came in at about 9k.

The way I look at it, I might not have much plans to wheel right now but let's say I change my mind in the future and decide to, then I'll have to spend money anyway upgrading my axles, etc.

I've meet a lot of guys that enjoying tearing it up and don't mind breaking parts, but I would rather build the jeep to last and never worry about breaking stuff that I could have just upgraded in the beginning of my build

branz_1029

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450824383.838942.jpg

This is the last jeep me and my wife built and driving this alone on the trails sucked just thinking about when the D30 axle was going to break. We ended up selling this jeep to pickup a 4door JK....

psmith

My .02...If you have the money for all the stuff on your build list then you owe it to yourself to research as much as possible to get the best products and the most for your money. Opinions here on products are formed on a ton of experience of really hardcore off road use. This may or may not apply to you, so you may be able to save money buy selecting items that suit YOUR wheeling style. Just try to be informed on what you are getting and WHY you are picking it vs its competitors. Some competing products to search for are Evo DTD, Evo bolt on coil overs, JE Reel driveshafts, anti rock limiting travel, etc. Basically you can type in x vs y into Google and read for days.

wackamole

Are you trying to drive straight up the stairway to heaven with that thing? If your "end game" is 40" hollowed out rubber circles for some jungle trails on a monster truck... what's your start game.. you can always begin with one of those 1.5" upgradeable kits.. which I believe RK has (or a BB//leveling kit, the AEV one is like $200).. and just take your time. Hell, I've had my JKU for a year now and have only put wheels, tires, and some off road lights on it.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Since you're concerned about breaking stuff, you may want to really consider whether 37's will be good enough for what you want to do instead of getting 40's. A small difference in tire = a huge difference in upgrades to support them.

Take for example that with 37's, you can run a Dynatrac ProRock 44 (for example) instead of a 60 and keep your stock rear axle. Just right there you've saved over $10K worth of parts that you didn't need. But if you believe that 40's are in your future, I do agree with you to do it once and do it right from the beginning which means D60s front and rear.

I'm not here to talk you out of either, but since the cost difference is so high, you owe it to yourself to be honest with your goals.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If you want to sit sky high, stick with the rebel kit, I have yet to see one that sits even close to what they say it will. I run around 3.5" lift on my evo bolt on coilovers, and clear 37s perfectly and it still flexs like crazy. Along with that I am only running aftermarket lowers since you dont need to go long arm. I have nothing against rock crawler, but personally I would rather go with the evo long arm upgrade since you get all 8 arms and do not have to go with a 3-link setup. You are worried about breaking on the trail and if you loose an arm with a 3-link you are kinda screwed.

Top Bottom