The Weekend Before Christmas Gathering 2015

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As I'm sure is the case for most people, the Holidays is a busy time of year for Cindy and I and planning things like trips with friends is difficult to do. And, when I got a message from mcpuck saying that a few of our old friends were planning a get together out in Laughlin and that we were invited to come, we moved things around and made sure that we could join them. Of course, we didn't know what the plan was beyond meeting up with them for the weekend but really, it didn't matter to us. It'd been way too long since we've gotten together with everyone and that alone would make it worth the almost 1,500 mile round trip. Anyway, here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy them. :cool:

Fortunately for us, Trail Bud was able to join us on this trip and so we got to caravan down together. Here's a shot of us along the shores of Walker Lake soon after meeting up.
main.php

One of many gas stops that we made along the way.
main.php

Of course, we can't make a trip down the 95 without making a stop to top off at "Eddie World"
main.php

Pulling into Laughlin after a long day on the road.
main.php

Good morning from the banks of the Colorado River.
main.php

main.php

The Misfit Committee.
main.php

After a nice breakfast, we topped off our tanks and headed out to do some sightseeing.
main.php

Hello Arizona!
main.php

Our first stop for the day was over in the town of Lake Havasu City to see Arizona's 2nd biggest tourist trap after the Grand Canyon - The London Bridge.
main.php

For centuries, the London Bridge spanned the Thames River in London, England over 5,400 miles away but on April 18, 1968, Robert P. McCulloch bought it from the Common Council of the City of London for a sum of $2,460,000.
main.php

main.php

Each block was carefully numbered, dismantled, shipped across the Panama Canal, trucked in from Long Beach, CA, reassembled piece by piece here in Arizona and then opened for traffic on October 10, 1971.
main.php

main.php

Time to drive over London Bridge! It's hard to imagine that there was a time where severed heads including that of William Wallace were once dipped in tar, impaled on spikes and placed on display at the southern gateway of this bridge.
main.php

main.php

After driving over London Bridge and back again without it falling on us, we headed south, pulled off pavement and aired down to do some exploring.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Looking out across the beautiful Arizona desert.
main.php

The plan had been to make a trek out to the old mining town of Swansea but apparently, it'd been a while since we were last out in the area and the trailhead near the Parker Dam is now closed. What a bummer!
main.php

One of two closed gates at the end of the road.
main.php

Fortunately, there are other places to explore and things to do and so we made our way out to them.
main.php

Shot of Et in his red JK looking for spot to get some flex however little it might be.
main.php

Don climbing his way up with ease.
main.php

With a set of 40's, I don't think Ray even knew there was an obstacle here.
main.php

A couple of shots of Moochie in his brand new Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk giving it his all!
main.php

main.php

And finally, here's a shot of Tony in his bone stock Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited making it look easy.
main.php

Pulling into the "Nellie E Saloon" (aka - the Desert Bar) for a little grub and adult beverages.
main.php

main.php

main.php

Located in the Buckskin Mountains just east of Parker, Arizona, the saloon is situated on an old mining claim that was called the Nellie E.
main.php

main.php

Time to take a step inside.
main.php

main.php

When the land was acquired by a guy named Ken back in 1975, it came with a liquor license and in 1983, he opened for business - CHEERS!!
main.php

Dropping into the shadows of a canyon - Before calling it a day, we decided to make one more stop.
main.php

It's always fun to see stock Jeeps or in this case, an all new Cherokee out on the trail.
main.php

main.php

Snaking our way along a ridgeline.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Made it to Rovey's Needle just as the sun was setting.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Making the final climb to the top.
main.php

Moochie climbing up and through the eye of the needle.
main.php

Doug in the eye of the needle.
main.php

main.php

I've yet to find a good explanation as to how this towering rock formation was created or what kind of forces carved out the honeycomb shapes in the middle of it but I suppose, the imagination is all that's needed to fill in the blanks.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

One last look across the valley and then it's time to head on out.
main.php

main.php

Tanking up before making our way back to Laughlin.
main.php

Of course, Lori had to stop in the mini-mart to pick up something Christmassy.
main.php

Back at our home for the night, we cracked open some Francovich Holiday Nog to celebrate an awesome day out!
main.php

For those of you who aren't from the Reno area, Francovich, owner of The Grill restaurant gathers family members from about mid-October till the end of December to make their famous Francovich Holiday Nog. This nog is based on a recipe Eli Francovich brought from Yugoslavia and started making here in Northern Nevada back in 1867. Laced with aged Kentucky bourbon and Jamaican rum, it contains a modest 7% alcohol and has a wonderfully smooth taste. It has been a family tradition of theirs that has continued for five generations and for 143 years.

To good friends and good times - CHEERS!!
main.php

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After saying goodbye to Doug, Ray and Et who all had to leave early, we made our way out to the old mining town of Techatticup, the oldest and richest gold mine in Southern Nevada. Once named Eldorado by the Spaniards who discovered gold in the area back in 1775, Techatticup was mined in earnest from about 1858 until 1945. In fact, it is said to be the location of Nevada's first major gold strike and many of the miners were deserters of the Civil War. While the hustle and bustle has long since moved up to the town of Las Vegas, Techatticup still has a lot of charm and attracts photographers from around the world.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

One of many old Willys trucks out in this ghost town.
main.php

Here's another.
main.php

There are plenty of other crazy things you can find here too.
main.php

Cool Dodge truck with a "Job Rated" badge.
main.php

main.php

Inserting an emoticon to show how much fun we had.
main.php

If you follow State Route 165 to the end, you will find yourself on the shores of Lake Mohave which is created by the Davis Dam along the Colorado River. This point is known as Nelson's Landing.
main.php

Looking up the lake.
main.php

Looking down the lake.
main.php

Hiked down a bit and then climbed up for a better look.
main.php

main.php

main.php

After our visit to Nelson's Landing, we got back in our Jeeps and wheeled our way further to the south and down what is known as Aztec Wash. Here, we were able to drive down to the shore of the lake.
main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

After relaxing by the waters, it was time to move on out.
main.php

main.php

Back on pavement again.
main.php

Shadow wheeling.
main.php

Back in Laughlin and having what the Bumbleberry Flats restaurant calls a "Sunday morning bloody mary disaster"
main.php

main.php

To yet another great day out with good friends and to the end of an awesome trip - CHEERS!!
main.php

A BIG THANK YOU needs to go out to Don and Lori for planning this awesome trip to Laughlin and for inviting Cindy and I to join in on the fun. We had a great time with the two of you, Tony, Steph, Tina, Ray, Kevin, Et, Joe, Moochie and Doug and we look forward to doing this again sooner than later!

Moochie

Awesome photo essay of our Laughlin adventure! I had a great time hanging out with old friends! :)

Trail Bud

Hooked
Man it was good to see everyone! It's been a long for some. Trip was a great time too. Really liked the desert bar.
Till next time.

JeepFan

Hooked
Great pictures! We had a great time with old friends! Glad we were all able to make this trip and see so much in such a short period of time!

Exodus 4x4

wayoflife said:
I've yet to find a good explanation as to how this towering rock formation was created or what kind of forces carved out the honeycomb shapes in the middle of it but I suppose, the imagination is all that's needed to fill in the blanks.
main.php

main.php

Hey Eddie,

I think I have an explanation for the honeycomb formation of the rock in your weekend before Christmas thread. Although I'm not a practicing geologist, my degree is so you could say I'm somewhat credible [emoji6].

It looks to be an igneous intrusion. As the magma got closer to the surface and pressure reduced, gas bubbles inside would expand. The magma never reached surface, but cooled, locking the bubbles in place forever. Over time erosion eventually weathered everything down around the intrusion and exposed the bubbles as you see them now.

I could be wrong, but from the pictures it sure looks to be what happened. Maybe soon I'll get a chance to get out there and see it in person!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Eddie,

I think I have an explanation for the honeycomb formation of the rock in your weekend before Christmas thread. Although I'm not a practicing geologist, my degree is so you could say I'm somewhat credible [emoji6].

It looks to be an igneous intrusion. As the magma got closer to the surface and pressure reduced, gas bubbles inside would expand. The magma never reached surface, but cooled, locking the bubbles in place forever. Over time erosion eventually weathered everything down around the intrusion and exposed the bubbles as you see them now.

I could be wrong, but from the pictures it sure looks to be what happened. Maybe soon I'll get a chance to get out there and see it in person!

That is AWESOME and so appreciate you taking the time to share this with all of us. :thumb:

Top Bottom