A Self-Lowering Jeep JL Wrangler??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As some of you know, vehicles like Land Rovers, Rams and even some Jeeps models have optional air suspension systems that allow the driver to control the height of the body but how would you feel about a new JL Wrangler that has the same option? Certainly, something like it would help to make it easier to get in and out of your Jeep as well as make it possible to drive into parking garages. Anyway, according to David Zatz on Allpar, there have been discussions about this and I'd like to know what you think about it. :)

allpar-2.jpg

See article below:
https://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2015/12/self-lowering-wrangler-30833

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
This is what I think of the news on the JKL so far..

The jk gave way to a bunch of sissy owning jeepers. I can't imagine what this new one will bring in.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1450889704.827610.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I deal with claims on air suspension components daily for other manufacturers. They fail often and are extremely expensive to fix. Putting it on a Jeep that gets heavier and more extreme use is a really stupid idea. But if a salesman can sell, people will buy and feel good about it. It's all about what you can tell your friends, right....

JeepJeep75

I deal with claims on air suspension components daily for other manufacturers. They fail often and are extremely expensive to fix. Putting it on a Jeep that gets heavier and more extreme use is a really stupid idea. But if a salesman can sell, people will buy and feel good about it. It's all about what you can tell your friends, right....

Imagine the added cost of modifying and lifting one of these new Wranglers with air suspension. Imagine how much trickery would have to be done to reassure the computer that your lifted jeep is still operating "normally". Shit, maybe King will make an air-coil over with all necessary sensors and wiz-fuckers that will only cost $8,999 for a set of 4. 🙄

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug

This! I had a Range Rover that the Air suspension failed on repeatedly. It is extremely expensive to fix. Plus, modifying the suspension for larger tired would be more expensive and difficult. I ended up getting rid of the air suspension and going with a spring/shock conversion. Not a fan. Maybe on a GC, but not a Wrangler.

Exodus 4x4

This! I had a Range Rover that the Air suspension failed on repeatedly. It is extremely expensive to fix. Plus, modifying the suspension for larger tired would be more expensive and difficult. I ended up getting rid of the air suspension and going with a spring/shock conversion. Not a fan. Maybe on a GC, but not a Wrangler.

Exactly. I traded in a Range Rover for my JK because that shit repeatedly failed on me.

uberc4

Seems like one more part to worry about failing to me. But it may help us mall crawlers get over those troublesome speed bumps! :thumb:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
My '13 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk had the air suspension. Hated it. Was great for lowering the vehicle to get in and out of, but was horrible offroad. It raised the vehicle by pumping the air bags to a much higher pressure, and pretty much eliminated any suspension travel. The airbags were so stiff it took a very hard hit to get any up travel. That also caused the ride offroad to be horrendous. Like trying to wheel a John Deere gator that has no suspension, even with the tires aired down to 15psi.

Last edited:

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
My Ram 1500 has air suspension. There are aftermarket lifts available for it. The nice thing is that you can do a "mild" lift by fooling sensors for less than $200. It rides nice and soaks up the bumps like a big luxury saloon. Not a bad idea for charging a premium for the general masses wanting a luxurious jeep.... but definitely a more complex retrofit for those wanting to maintain the air suspension while adding hardcore off road capability.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
My Ram 1500 has air suspension. There are aftermarket lifts available for it. The nice thing is that you can do a "mild" lift by fooling sensors for less than $200. It rides nice and soaks up the bumps like a big luxury saloon. Not a bad idea for charging a premium for the general masses wanting a luxurious jeep.... but definitely a more complex retrofit for those wanting to maintain the air suspension while adding hardcore off road capability.

Yes but the more you raise it the crappier the ride becomes.

Bacon

This^^^^^^^^^^

Bacon

A guy i know had the air suspension on his 2012 (ish) Overland GC. It failed repeatedly. The really crappy part is that when it would let go and drop to its lowest setting, he couldn't move his Jeep. He had a slightly oversized set of Duratracs on it.

Top Bottom