DTD and long arm capability

mastrcruse

Quick question...

If I'm running the RK long arm kit (3.5 X factor long arm) and want to upgrade to the DTD and evo lever kits, can I run the DTD/evolever kits with the RK long arms or would I have to replace them with the Evo long arm kit?

Also, I see a 12 and 14" DTD kit, however, there was a thread from September I saw that the 14" was not recommended because to take advantage of the extra the JKU would have to be set stupidly high. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Quick question...

If I'm running the RK long arm kit (3.5 X factor long arm) and want to upgrade to the DTD and evo lever kits, can I run the DTD/evolever kits with the RK long arms or would I have to replace them with the Evo long arm kit?

Also, I see a 12 and 14" DTD kit, however, there was a thread from September I saw that the 14" was not recommended because to take advantage of the extra the JKU would have to be set stupidly high. Is this correct?

Thanks.

The DTD is only offered currently with the 12" coilovers. The way I understand it is the 12" coilovers still get 14" of vertical wheel travel, because the DTD tower on the front suspension is leaned back at an angle, which changes the installation ratio of the coilovers, ie 1" of vertical wheel travel might only equal .85" of shock travel, allowing more than 12" of travel from a 12" shock. Not sure what the angle correction factor/installation ratio is on the front DTD system.

I could be wrong on how I understand this, maybe someone else can chime in.

As far as control arms you'd be fine running your current control arms. The Evo arms are not "required".

Last edited:

mastrcruse

The DTD is only offered currently with the 12" coilovers. The way I understand it is the 12" coilovers still get 14" of vertical wheel travel, because the DTD tower on the front suspension is leaned back at an angle, which changes the installation ratio of the coilovers, ie 1" of vertical wheel travel might only equal .85" of shock travel, allowing more than 12" of travel from a 12" shock. Not sure what the angle correction factor/installation ratio is on the front DTD system.

I could be wrong on how I understand this, maybe someone else can chime in.

As far as control arms you'd be fine running your current control arms. The Evo arms are not "required".

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Showing my cards a bit about being a "noob" to coilovers, the reason I assumed there were 12 and 14" coilovers is the many threads I read that seemed to indicate them and Evo's option for 12 or 14" sway bar links. What's the reason to pick a 12 vs a 14" away bar link?

That's great about the long arm kit...I'm glad it wasn't a $2000 mistake.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. Showing my cards a bit about being a "noob" to coilovers, the reason I assumed there were 12 and 14" coilovers is the many threads I read that seemed to indicate them and Evo's option for 12 or 14" sway bar links. What's the reason to pick a 12 vs a 14" away bar link? That's great about the long arm kit...I'm glad it wasn't a $2000 mistake.

Evo did used to offer 14" coilovers with their kit but they no longer offer it. I believe for the reasons you mentioned. Eddie used to run the 14" coilovers on Moby before going to the DTD system.

CJW

Rock krawler uses a 3 link with truss in the rear right? I'm not sure if there's clearance there for the upper 3rd link/truss with the evo lever......... Maybe give evo a shout.

Grubbicon

Rock krawler uses a 3 link with truss in the rear right? I'm not sure if there's clearance there for the upper 3rd link/truss with the evo lever......... Maybe give evo a shout.

This right here. With you being 3link you cant run the evo lever in the rear. I looked into it once and I realized the same things. However you could change to the evo long arm in the rear and run what you have in front all though evo will most likely say their kits are designed to work as one and not pieces.

Gunner

So a slightly different tack.. Can you run the High Clearance long arms with normal shocks and springs? I'm not ready financially to spring for Evolevers and Coil overs. I have RK 3.5 Springs and King 2.5 Res shocks with the adjusters. 10.5 stroke.

dchew

You can use the EVO long arms but not the high clearance rear 3 degree axle bracket. You would use the rock stars instead. With the high clearance bracket there is no place to mount the shock.

For a short time EVO offered a shock mount with the high clearance long arm kit for coilovers. I had one of the few setups like that, but I gotta tell you it was not exactly straight forward how to position all those pieces.

Dave

Last edited:

mastrcruse

Thanks guys. So let's do the reverse, (and maybe I'm reading incorrectly but don't think it's been answered). Can I run Evo long arm kit (that ultimately would be used with the DTD setup) with my Rock Krawler non-coilover kit? I'm running a mid-arm now and was upgrading to the long arm but future plans will be to go full DTD. If I can upgrade my mid-arm to use Evo's long arm kit then that's what I'll do. Sorry if it's been answered and I missed it.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. So let's do the reverse, (and maybe I'm reading incorrectly but don't think it's been answered). Can I run Evo long arm kit (that ultimately would be used with the DTD setup) with my Rock Krawler non-coilover kit? I'm running a mid-arm now and was upgrading to the long arm but future plans will be to go full DTD. If I can upgrade my mid-arm to use Evo's long arm kit then that's what I'll do. Sorry if it's been answered and I missed it.

You must have the Evo Lever to run the Evo high clearance long arms because you completely remove the stock lower control arm mount and shock mount. A new high clearance mount gets welded on that does not have any provision to run a shock. It really is designed strictly for use with the Evo Lever. You could run the Evo Double D long arm kit, and keep all of your RK springs and shocks, but then you do not have the high clearance feature in the rear.

IF you go with the Double D long arms only kit, you could just bolt on the rear frame side brackets, and upgrade to the high clearance brackets when you do finally go with the DTD/Evo Lever. The front control arms and brackets, and rear control arms only on the Double D and High Clearance kits are the same. The high clearance kit uses a unique frame side and axle side lower control arm mount. That is assuming Evo will sell you just the brackets needed to upgrade when you are ready. Not sure if that is an option. You'd have to ask them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom