Trail Tools

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I am debating on what kind of power tools to use on the trail. I plan on carrying a grinder, cutter, sawzall, drill, and impact wrench.The two scenarios below are what I am thinking. Let'e hear everyones opinion and what you are using.

Option 1: 4000 watt power inverter with 120 volt tools (I run dual Platinum Die Hard batteries)

Option 2: 18-20 volt battery operated power tools with a 2000 watt power inverter charging two spare batteries

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know we talked about this a bit the other night at the suds-n-grub and have to say, it's a tough one to decide on. It's hard to bet the power and affordable pricing of a plug in tool but, there is definitely a convenience factor to cordless. I'm personally leaning toward cordless Milwaukee tools but only because I know others who have them too. The biggest problem is to make sure you're all using the same battery packs. :crazyeyes:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I know we talked about this a bit the other night at the suds-n-grub and have to say, it's a tough one to decide on. It's hard to bet the power and affordable pricing of a plug in tool but, there is definitely a convenience factor to cordless. I'm personally leaning toward cordless Milwaukee tools but only because I know others who have them too. The biggest problem is to make sure you're all using the same battery packs. :crazyeyes:

I agree. Cordless is the ideal option I would say but corded are a little cheaper.

Either way I think I would run a 4000 watt inverter just to have overkill. As Mel said at Suds-n-grub he has 6 batteries which can get expensive but probably ideal. Especially if you run the same batteries for everything as Eddie said.

I think an inverter with a plug here would be awesome. Store the inverter here and then make the plug here as well (if you don't have the sub).

JK trunk.jpg

Don, I agree with option 2. Vince and I have been carying the cordless Milwaukee tools for a while and they are great. We just make sure that we charge the battery up before hitting the trail and so far it has not run out...we do carry a much smaller 750 watt inverter that I have tested at home and charges the battery, but, if you bring along a 2000 watt inverter, that sounds like more than enough juice to recharge the battery out in the middle of nowhere.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Option 3: always do runs with people like mcpuck, wayoflife, calijk? :idontknow: :cheesy:

Question: what is the wattage of the inverter built into the newer models and is it adequate to run said electric tools in option 1?

Dave_g

Option 3: always do runs with people like mcpuck, wayoflife, calijk? :idontknow: :cheesy:

Question: what is the wattage of the inverter built into the newer models and is it adequate to run said electric tools in option 1?

dose any one know the wattage of the built in inverter, I can not find any of the tech in the owners manual.

Skid_Kid

dose any one know the wattage of the built in inverter, I can not find any of the tech in the owners manual.

From the User guide of my 2013:

POWER INVERTER
• A 115 Volt, 150 Watt AC power inverter
is located on the front of the center
console.
• This outlet can power cellular phones,
electronics and other low power devices
requiring power up to 150 Watts.
• The power inverter switch is located on
the instrument panel below the climate
controls. To turn on the power outlet,
press the switch once. The indicator
light will illuminate. Press the switch a
second time to turn the power inverter
outlet off.
NOTE:
The power inverter is designed with built-in overload protection. If the power rating
of 150 Watts is exceeded, the power inverter will automatically shut down. Once the
electrical device has been removed from the outlet, the inverter should automatically
reset. If the power rating exceeds approximately 170 Watts, the power inverter may
have to be reset manually. To reset the inverter manually, unplug the device and plug
it in again. To avoid overloading the circuit, check the power ratings on electrical
devices prior to using the inverter.
WARNING!
To Avoid Serious Injury or Death DO NOT:
• insert any objects into the receptacles
• touch with wet hands
Close the lid when not in use. If this outlet is mishandled, it may cause an electric
shock and failure.

jeepwolf

what about other tools, recomended tool sets, shovels, them exhaust jacks ive heard about. I live in a area where the terrain can turn from hills, to rock, to mud, to rivers quite quickly.

1yellowjk

what about other tools, recomended tool sets, shovels, them exhaust jacks ive heard about. I live in a area where the terrain can turn from hills, to rock, to mud, to rivers quite quickly.

I carry a shovel, BFH, JB Weld, Zip Ties and some large self tapping screws.

IMO a good trail bag should at least have a spare set of U-joints (that fit) a really good ratchet strap (you never know when you might have to hold something in place to limp home.) and tools for all you bolts and a really good pair of vise grips.

My trail bag is quite complete....that and always a box of power bars, flint and water.

I was stuck on trail by myself after mountain biking for about 30 miles and had no water, food or cell phone...I thought I was going to die. Thank goodness a local fish and game ranger came by. Now I go prepared to stay when I go out. :)

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Besides what everybody said, I like to carry a tap and die set. Only used it once, but it was a major save 'cause it would have been a long and difficult tow to get out. After searching and finding no replacement nut and bolt it was a quick clean up and back on the trail with no worries. Phew!:cool:

Jersey_Devil

I carry a shovel, BFH, JB Weld, Zip Ties and some large self tapping screws.

IMO a good trail bag should at least have a spare set of U-joints (that fit) a really good ratchet strap (you never know when you might have to hold something in place to limp home.) and tools for all you bolts and a really good pair of vise grips.

My trail bag is quite complete....that and always a box of power bars, flint and water.

I was stuck on trail by myself after mountain biking for about 30 miles and had no water, food or cell phone...I thought I was going to die. Thank goodness a local fish and game ranger came by. Now I go prepared to stay when I go out. :)

I was always tauht to never go into the wilderness unprepared..... Safety, safety, safety! Can't be stressed enough, this guys experience stuck on the trail is a very scary thing and he was lucky thank God! Glad ur still with us bud! But always plan ahead and I keep this stuff with me at all times, first aid, fire extinguisher,flashlight, blanket, sweater, change of clothes, waterproof matches, compass, orange hunting tape (to mark trees), granola bars, and fresh water before u leave. These things are a necessity! This stuff stays in my JKU AT ALL TIMES (except water, I buy fresh before I leave) and u can even tell this stuff is in there... I also keep a tool kit like everyone else.... Basic standard and metric wratchet set and open end/box wrench set, torque bits that fit the jeep parts (ie T-50 for doors) pliers, dykes, vise grips, channel locks, and screw drivers, knife, military shovel w/saw, then u need recovery equipment, I have a Warn XD9000i winch, HiLift jack, HiLift recovery kit, extra chains and tow straps, wratchet straps (motorcycle straps will do), come-a-long, snatch strap and block, hooks and shackles.... I'm sure there's something else I got in there that I'm forgetting but all of this stuff I keep in my jk AT ALL TIMES except the water that I buy on the way to the trail, and u can never tell all that stuff is there except for the bin in the back that holds my recovery equipment and first aid.

Remember plan ahead and think SAFETY FIRST!

HAVE FUN OUT THERE!

tbones999

+1 for Milwaukee

(I work for them, so I might be a bit bias. I am not in sales. I am not looking for business, just a harmless plug.)

jeepwolf

ya i had to take my 4 way and wrap a chain around it once to be able to get traction out on the trail, i dont have a winch, ive had to leave my jeep out on the trail for 5-10hrs beofr to go get a jeeping buddy to get me, simply cause i havent had enough for a winch, but i learned from that to always carry 2 2ton come alongs to help make up for the lack of winch, i also carry a large 10 gallon just of water, for drinking/rad/ ect, extra oil, power steering fluid, ect, a good trail trick i learned once is if your auto trans take a crap on you and you have no other way to get home or pulled home, take a cap full or 2 of brake fluid and add to trans, swells everything in your trans just enough tolimp home, but ruins it at the same time

Jersey_Devil

ya i had to take my 4 way and wrap a chain around it once to be able to get traction out on the trail, i dont have a winch, ive had to leave my jeep out on the trail for 5-10hrs beofr to go get a jeeping buddy to get me, simply cause i havent had enough for a winch, but i learned from that to always carry 2 2ton come alongs to help make up for the lack of winch, i also carry a large 10 gallon just of water, for drinking/rad/ ect, extra oil, power steering fluid, ect, a good trail trick i learned once is if your auto trans take a crap on you and you have no other way to get home or pulled home, take a cap full or 2 of brake fluid and add to trans, swells everything in your trans just enough tolimp home, but ruins it at the same time

Buy a HiLift jack..... Cheaper than a winch, lot more elbow grease needed but we'll worth it

jkjurny

Do you guys carry air tools also? Is this above and beyond the cordless stuff?

I just bought a PowerTank, and was going to get an air impact wrench for it. I'm torn between that and getting a cordless impact wrench and drill.

On spare parts, what else to bring besides U-joints and belts? Finally, what socket sizes do you guys carry?

Thanks!

Top Bottom