Rock Star Question

Trembley

Hey gang I have a question on the Evo Rock Stars....what's your opinion on running these with the stock suspension? I know I might have to add some bump stop to account for them, but I am a big fan of do it once do it right and I am in the process of addressing protecting the underside of my new 13'.

I want to add front and rear LCA skids as well relocate my Steering Stabilizer and add stronger diff covers as well as some skids for the oil pan eng. and trans. Operating under the do it once, do it right mantra, I was thinking with my rear lower control arms maybe adding the shock relocation in as well as the control arm skid. More clearance can only be a good thing right? Then later when I lift the jeep I can either run some sort of upper mount or account for it in the new shock that will be going in and can then readjust my bumpstops at that point.

What do you guys think?

Cheers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I understand what you're wanting to do but, at stock height, you'll have next to no up travel and will be bottoming out your shocks a lot. That'll end up ruining them prematurely and give you a harsh ride. I might hold off on this good mod until you can at least install a budget boost.

Trembley

That's the worry I had, others mentioned having to add so much bump that it killed their up travel terribly, which isn't a good thing. I guess I'll have to wait it out and hope I don't bash on the rear lowers to bad before I end up lifted etc.

Thanks for the opinion.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's the worry I had, others mentioned having to add so much bump that it killed their up travel terribly, which isn't a good thing. I guess I'll have to wait it out and hope I don't bash on the rear lowers to bad before I end up lifted etc.

Thanks for the opinion.

Any reason why you don't just install a 2.5" budget boost? If you get it with the shock extensions, it can be had for cheap and it would allow you to run Rock Stars. Just leave out the rear extensions and you'd be good to go.

Trembley

With my shoestring budget....more like 15lb test fishing line budget....any time I think about purchasing something that I may then take off later to put something better on I get this weird burning sensation at the edges of my soul....lol. Even though I know that if I watch the for sale sections I can get a good deal on a used one and then sell it on to someone else after I am done with it. If that makes any sense.

:beer:

In reality, that may be what I actually do. Just hurts to admit to myself that I can't just go all bad ass from the start...hopefully the humor with which I am thinking this post out in my head comes across.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
With my shoestring budget....more like 15lb test fishing line budget....any time I think about purchasing something that I may then take off later to put something better on I get this weird burning sensation at the edges of my soul....lol. Even though I know that if I watch the for sale sections I can get a good deal on a used one and then sell it on to someone else after I am done with it. If that makes any sense.

In reality, that may be what I actually do. Just hurts to admit to myself that I can't just go all bad ass from the start...hopefully the humor with which I am thinking this post out in my head comes across.

There's no shame in starting off with whatever you can. Heck, it's how we got our start on our big white JK - 2.5" budget boost and factory 32" tires. You'll learn more at stock to a small lift than you may ever all built up right from the get go. The extra clearance will make a difference and there really are some good deals in the for sale forums from time to time.

Trembley

Would there be a particular direction you would point me with decent budget boost with shock extensions?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Would there be a particular direction you would point me with decent budget boost with shock extensions?

Sure, we've run a TeraFlex 2.5" budget boost which came with coil spacers and shock extensions and it was pretty cheap. It'll come with everything you need.

Metalmasher

I think it's great that your thinking it out! :rock:

Top Bottom